Sierra meetup being planned for Summer 2014 in Oakhurst, CA

pcj

Any australian fans considering going? I really want to go but its gunna cost a bundle. To stay for roughly 14 days + airfair (38hr economy) + car hire + food + BLAH BLAH BLAH im lookin at rougly 6k

:blink: :blink: :blink: not to mention the cost of the convention itself.

I would be seriously interested in trying to organise with some other fans for things like share accomodation etc... PLZ

We should get a large number of us organized together to arrive at frezno on the same day and hire a BIG bus splitting the cost. (hiring a car wold cost $500 eeeeew) And if we were able to say to a place of accomodation we have xx number of people interested instaying they may be able to offer a package deal.

ok call me a noob but i havent travelled overseas and thought i should include at least 3 days on either side of the convention for recovery and mabey a bit of sight seeing.

Nah, that makes sense. You could probably get away with 1-2 days padding though if you didn't want to sight-see. As for the convention itself, it would probably be 3-4 days (no idea for sure though)

• 3 weeks later...

Harquimm, yeah, there are probably plenty of Oz fans interested, I would go on the Facebook page and try and drum up interest. I'm from Oz but I live in the States now, so this is one of those lucky things for me.

Still, I don't live in California, so a bus or some sort of sharing is a definite win.

I put 'Maybe' just for monetary reasons but I pretty much will be there unless lightning strikes. The Coles will show people around Yosemite, all kinds of good stuff will be going down.I know several Sierra folks from CA, there might be a Sierra band (working on that one), there's just so much potential!!

As Pcj said (and this should be the motto): "Heading past epic to legendary"

• 2 weeks later...

Since I live in California (southern California, that is), I'll definitely be doing my darnedest to attend this convention. I actually spent Christmas in Oakhurst a couple of years ago, so I can say with certainty that it really is a remote spot. Aside from Yosemite National Park, it's a pretty quiet little town.

(The hardest part will be figuring out just how I can get to and from Oakhurst, since I don't drive.)

(The hardest part will be figuring out just how I can get to and from Oakhurst, since I don't drive.)

The plan right now is to have multiple vans ferrying people from LAX to Oakhurst, so maybe someone can come by and pick you up. Depending on where you live in SoCal, I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I’m handling social media for the Sierra Con and I wanted to answer any questions you guys may have. First of all, The event location has not been determined yet. It will most likely be in Seattle, but that is not definite yet. It will not, however, happen in Oakhurst due to the lack of lodging and the small size of the town.

Scott Murphy (Space Quest), Mark Crowe (Space Quest), Jim Walls (Police Quest), David Homb (Phantasmagoria) will all be in attendance at the convention. There are still more names to be announced so stay tuned for more info!