SCI resource viewer -- beta testers wanted.

sciviewer

Is there a debug registry key, or it's just my imagination?

Must be LSD ;-). Actually it enables some useful features (for testing and debugging purposes, of course). One is an "Extract" menu item that tries to save a resource in the SCI format. The problem is that it's not always playable by the original interpreter. For example, some graphics resources may have the same encoding scheme (and therefore the version in SV terms) but different headers. Sierra always changed something. That's why this feature is not supported (although it saves a lot of space when somebody sends me a problematic resource).

when I try to play the MIDI in Winamp it says it's 0:00 long and won't play

Not all media players work well with SMF v.0 files containing "system exclusive" messages. Try to export patches and sounds separately, although it may not always help. Some "regular" sound resources will still contain SysEx messages (such as pan) when MT-32 patch is selected (even though it's not uploaded).

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!

Is it absolutely imperative that the exported MIDI files be in that format? I ask because the only thing that will play them that I've found so far is Windows Media Player. I was hoping to be able to open the exported MIDIs into a sequencer and do some editing but whenever I do that it plays everything super fast as if the entire song was compacted into a couple seconds.

Just wondering is all.

Also, when opening 16 colour versions of SCI1.0 games they seem to get some of the colours wrong. White sometimes comes out as dark gray for example. I've only tried this with the Space Quest remake, though. Others might be different. Is there anything I need to send you to fix that or is that just the way it is?

Is it absolutely imperative that the exported MIDI files be in that format?

It looks like some players do not understand negative values in time division (SMPTE). I've changed the units in exported files to PPQN, so they should be playable by old-fashioned players as well. Feel free to refresh your copy.

Also, when opening 16 colour versions of SCI1.0 games they seem to get some of the colours wrong. White sometimes comes out as dark gray for example. I've only tried this with the Space Quest remake, though. Others might be different. Is there anything I need to send you to fix that or is that just the way it is?

Which game/resource are you talking about? All the 1.0 games that I have use 256-color graphics. The only exception is QG2, but it seems to be ok...

The EGA version of the Space Quest 1 remake's picture resources is what I'm talking about. Many SCI1.0 games had 16 colour counterparts for people who still used Tandy computers or just didn't have a VGA card. Here's a short list:

Space Quest 1 Remake

Space Quest 4

Leisure Suit Larry 1 Remake

Leisure Suit Larry 5

King's Quest 5

Police Quest 3

And there are a handful of others.

And thanks for the revision! Downloading.

Just tried that and it doesn't work. It seems to be an in-between format between SCI01 and SCI1.0 since the old DOS SCI Decoder program won't view EGA SCI1.0 picture resources. The sprites are in SCI0 format, though.

If you like I can get you a copy of one of the EGA versions. Email me your email address and I can send you a copy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering... Does anyone know anything about SCI games that have resources like CDAudio (*.CDA), Bitmap (*.BIT) or Translation (*.TRN)? Don't have anything like that in my collection :-(.

Sorry. I only read today the question.

Jones (CD version) is a SCI game with a big CDA audio track.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately, this guy dropped off the face of the earth some time ago. I've no idea what's become of him or how to contact him. You could try emailing him through his forum account here possibly.

EDIT: His profile has this email address: sciviewer[AT]yahoo[DOT]com. That's probably your best and only bet unless he shows up again.