SQ6 CRASH : Can't solve the famous problem, help me !

Timecop

Hi, I've got a big problem with SQ6. The Game crash after the Compost. I

I'm on Windows 7, the game run under DosBox.

I already tried to fix the problem with "Turbo" but unfortunately this software doesn't work on Windows 7...

The Patch I downloaded on Sierra's website seems to be useless because even with it the game crashes

This is the file directory I wrote after "patchDir=" :

C:\Users\Dom\Documents\sq6;D:

There is the semi colon after "sq6" so I don't see why the patch doesn't work !

I also load the game when i'm in the hotel room.

Please, I'm also a fan of this game, can someone help me thank you !

You should never use a slowdown utility with DOSBox. All you are doing is making it harder for the emulation. This is the purpose of setting cycles in DOSBox. Also, if you are editing paths in the RESOURCE.CFG, you need to use paths that the emulation within DOSBox can see from its mounted folders. "C:\Users\Dom\Documents\sq6" will be an invalid path within DOSBox. Not only will it not be able to see outside of the mounted folder, it will not be able see long file names.

If you are thinking that my site is Sierra's, remember, Sierra no longer exists. Rather than trying to sort out your issues with DOSBox, I recommend that you just use the new installer. it will automatically setup and optimally configure and patch the games to run properly in DOSBox. You will be able to start the games from a Windows shortcut like a native Windows game.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#SQ

• 6 months later...

I remember when I was trying to play SQ6 on windows 98 and higher, it would crash in the med lab when you were going to scan the hair sample, had to play that part on an older computer, but was able to play the rest of the game on a newer computer no problem, then of course I got the XP collection

How they missed that Sickbay error message in testing, I'll never know. Surely they must have had fast computers in the Sierra testing labs back in 1996.

the highest computer it worked on was anything with a pentium 1 processor, so that and a 486 were the only 2 computers I could play the original copy on at that time

the highest computer it worked on was anything with a pentium 1 processor, so that and a 486 were the only 2 computers I could play the original copy on at that time

My computer stuttered and spat its way through the FMV sequences, but for the longest time I remained blissfully unaware of the Sickbay bug.

I remember having a major crash in SQ6 for years - the game would repeatedly crash during the cutscene after Roger's escape from Polysorbate (when he and Stellar are talking in the transporter room). I tried for ages to find out what was causing the crash, but I never did.

Then, one day, I decided to back up all of my old PC games, especially the ones on floppy and CD-ROM. Imagine my surprise when my PC fails to copy all of SQ6 off of its CD - I get a read error halfway through. That's when the horrible, stomach-lurching truth hits me - my SQ6 is *damaged*. Juuuuust scratched enough in exactly the right spot to corrupt a small portion of the speech resource file. The reason the game kept crashing during that cutscene is because the program was trying to pull Roger and Stellar's dialogue and couldn't read that part of the file. :blink:

So...yeah. My one and only copy of SQ6 was buggered. :( The only reason I wasn't *totally* screwed is because that that point in time (before GOG came around), Frans, in his infinite wisdom, had arranged for copies of the SQ games to be hosted on SQ.net as abandonware and/or for historical archiving purposes. I downloaded the copy of SQ6 he had provided on the webspace and burned that to *two* CDs - one for me to use to run the game, and one to store as a backup.

The whole incident *terrified* me - it was the first time I'd ever had a CD game crap out on me (I usually take very good care of my optical discs). I wound up going on a backup binge - copying every non-DRM PC game I owned. CD games each got duplicated onto a CD-R, and all my floppy games were backed up onto another CD-R (which I named the "Legacy Archive"), which *itself* was then copied to a second CD-R. The entire stack of clone CDs now resides in a fire safe right there alongside my important legal documents and other items of sentimental value - never to see the potentially-destructive light of day again, until and unless the originals bite the big one.

In case it isn't obvious, I'm a little paranoid about protecting my game library. :unsure: