Fixing music in SQ4

RoyMartin

Okay, started SQ4, but the music sucks <_< I tried my hand at Munt, the Roland emulator, but couldn't get it to work. Yes, I'm a computer iliterate. Is there an easy step by step on how to do it? I'd love to play the game with the good music I know is there. For starters, I couldn't even start the mt32emu.dll file. -_-

Are you crazy?! I LOVE the music of SQIV! Ken Allen is a genius!

I see now how that could be misread, sorry about that, lol. Yes, I meant the emulation. When I started the game, it didn't sound as good as I remembered, and then I read about Roland MT-32. Which I couldn't get to work.

So, just to be clear: the music of SQIV is amazing.

*goes back to SQXII*

Okay, started SQ4, but the music sucks <_< I tried my hand at Munt, the Roland emulator, but couldn't get it to work. Yes, I'm a computer iliterate. Is there an easy step by step on how to do it? I'd love to play the game with the good music I know is there. For starters, I couldn't even start the mt32emu.dll file. -_-

First install with this. It will set the game up to use GM music.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#SQ

To use MT-32 will require you to do a few more things. For Munt, be sure you have the 2 required ROMs from the real hardware. Don't ask for the ROMs as the legality of distributing them is questionable. Remember, Google is your friend. I wrote an installer for the MUNT driver a while back, but by now the driver in it is a bit dated, so I will not link to it.

If you get the dosbox_mt32_2012_04_21.zip from https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/downloads to replace your DOSBox, just drop the ROMs in the DOSBox folder. You can also try the qt-based app which can install the driver for you. Depending on which solution you use, you may need to either set DOSBox to use MUNT as your MIDI device in Windows or select it in your dosbox.conf.

If the GM music is good enough for you, just use my installer. If you want to try MUNT and want more information, just let me know.