Why We Loved Sierra Games: King’s Quest 2015: An Opinionated Review by a crotchety Sierra fan who remembers 1984

ewmailing

It’s finally here!

This review/retrospective tackles why we loved Sierra games against the backdrop of King’s Quest 2015. It tries to provide tangible game design reasons about what made classic Sierra games special, with a particular focus on the special relationship between storytelling and puzzles. And of course a look at how KQ2015 measures up.

Even if you don’t ultimately agree with my opinions, it should be a fun, nostalgic romp through Sierra games as it also tries to celebrate Sierra games and their creators. It contains clips from almost all the Sierra games (yes, lot's of Space Quest), interview excerpts from most of the original designers (yes, Mark Crowe & Scott Murphy), lots of classic Sierra music, and a tribute to Gary Owens.

Why We Loved Sierra Games: 

King’s Quest 2015: An Opinionated Review by a crotchety Sierra fan who remembers 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wua96SI6SBE&list=PLPAVYgFfeddJzax1X4VUj69Z1Vs4PqGlA&index=1

I really appreciate all help in spreading the word. I’m a social media dummy.

Thanks,

Eric

This was a great and well put together video. A lot of love and effort here. I don't agree with every point exactly, but it's nice to see such a strong expression from my corner of the "adventure debate" for once. I highly recommend watching all 3 parts! Even if you're not a fan of King's Quest or fantasy (looking at you, Troels :P), there's a lot of points here about Sierra adventure design in general, much of which you and Frede talked about at length in the BSD podcasts. Give it a view!

Wow, this video is stellar!! I hope it's getting proper airtime in the scene. Very smart and thorough.

My only complaint concerns the persistent (and incorrect) claims that adventure games are gone, and that King's Quest 2015 was an attempt to "bring them back". Even if you're of the mind that only heavily-funded corporate products are legitimate games, Tell Tale has been cranking out smash hit titles for years.

More importantly, there is a nonstop stream of relatively lower budget adventure games coming out all the time that are probably better than the Tell Tale games. 

Considering how effective the rest of the video was at slicing through cliche with analysis and finding the truth, it was too bad that you kept returning to this particular falsehood. Adventure games never died. They just aren't the main seller in the PC market anymore.