TGFA Kickstarter Fan Art Project

s_d

S_D, Sounds like a great idea! You guys are free to use any of the stuff I've created for TGfA thus far, and I'd be willing to collaborate further on anything if requested and able.

This is a great community with a lot of talented artists and programmers, and I feel good to have finally come out and met everyone here (I've been lurking the SQ boards since probably 2003). Also seems like a good opportunity to collaborate with other talented people to produce good work from like minded individuals.

Also I'm quite relieved the KS was successful and has ended, haven't slept this well in a while...

S_D, Sounds like a great idea! You guys are free to use any of the stuff I've created for TGfA thus far, and I'd be willing to collaborate further on anything if requested and able.

Yeah, actually, nextheory, in regards to video production and building the video collage with transitions & such, you were my first thought. I didn't want to lean too hard on you though, because you already worked hard to put together an awesome promo, and it's pretty obvious that the person putting the pieces together will be doing the most work. It's kind of tough for me to justify thinking up an ambitious idea and asking someone else to go do it.

So, folks; I have some ideas for a rough "storyboarding" of the promo, and stylistically what I'm envisioning. I'm thinking of a 6-8 minute affair, intended to (roughly) follow the progression of the project. Call it three "acts", as it were.

First, it starts heavy with SQN community & superfan materials, to capture the heady enthusiasm we began with, including a banner first week, as well as enthusiasm amongst adventure game projects on KS in general (the "Sierra rising from the grave" graphic, for example, would feature here) .

Next, in act 2 we go into the Great Blackout; despair, hopelessness, perhaps we can riff on the trolls a bit here (if we want to immortalize them at all), and this, of course would be where the Ballad sits (along with images like pcj's "I WANT TO BELIEVE"), etc. This is also when a bit less than half of the KS fan images are generated.

In the last act, we have the blitz, the Return of the Space Pope, and the campaign comes back with a vengeance. I've some cool ideas for capturing this mood, and some ideas for victory audio here. To truly honor fan content (and also because we've not gotten permission from the content creators or the Two Guys) we're not going to have any of the materials the campaign officially posted (the comics, interviews, wallpapers, etc... so for example, no Roberta Williams image here except for the fan-modified versions, under fair use, and only ones that do not disparage her in any way). But there is *plenty* of material to draw from, the other half of fan images were generated during this point, so lots of slow image zooms & photo bouquet effects here. This is where we win.

After act 3, I'm envisioning a brief finale & victory music, followed by credits. Maybe we can get permission to use the Rooter & confetti image, but if not, then it's not a problem.

My idea isn't intending to go far beyond the scope of Warbird's "Do You Remember?" video, where most of the content is set to a backing track which is faded down to cut to video excerpts. The difference, of course, is dealing with the photo montages.

The sections dedicated to images would be displayed one of three methods; first, using the Ken Burns effect, a.k.a. linear transform, (for really gorgeous detailed ones like nextheory's PledgeQuest concept art, and Maya's rocking Andromedan). Second, in an akimbo "stack of photos" kind of arrangement of several images for ones like the Twinkie Tuesday's and the flyers posted on the bulletin boards, faded in (that one could be composited by hand in an image editor first, for arrangement, and then zoom/panned like the first method).

The comics would pan from frame-to-frame, similar to [media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4rMJFn5gKw[/media]

That video, BTW, much fancier than what I'm imagining. I wouldn't have text bubbles changing at all, nor hover the comic so it wobbles. No page-flip transition animation is necessary because all of the comics are one page. That example was only intended to demonstrate basic movement style and pacing.

If Tawmis or SkyeFyre would do a Let's Play of PledgeQuest and The Mysterious Cartridge, I'd love to have excerpts of them included in the third act. Actually, it would be great to have any fan do it, but I think these guys are all set up to LP already.

So, this seems like a wall-o-text, but really it boils down to the following; intro screen, splitting up the photo montage sements into 4-6 second scenes & producing each one, selecting & cutting video segments from the fan videos, choosing music for act 1, 3 and the finale, and fully producing the Ballad (with vocals!) for act 2, followed by arranging, editing, mixing, and titling.

No sweat, right? ;)

Perhaps I'm the king of overcomplicating things, but this can be simplified down into bite sized chunks. I'm trying to learn how to do some very basic editing on an NLE myself, and will try to produce one photo display segment by the end of this weekend. I may not be mentally capable, but I'll give it a shot. We can easily divide these segments up and build up a collection of them. I think that's where we should start. How they are arranged afterword is a matter of editing (and whomever does the final edit gets dictatorship over the final product). Making act 2 fit the song may be a bit of a stretch, since I have no idea how long it will be, but I'm not worried about that. We should be so lucky as to have so much finished content ready that we either have to cut some or produce filler and transitions.

If Tawmis or SkyeFyre would do a Let's Play of PledgeQuest and The Mysterious Cartridge, I'd love to have excerpts of them included in the third act. Actually, it would be great to have any fan do it, but I think these guys are all set up to LP already.

Heh - never done any of the "Let's Play" type videos before. So I will leave it to Skyfyre if they've done it before!

Update; I've an NLE that I'm learning to use. Obviously I've not accomplished a scene this weekend (I had a houseguest to entertain... real life is such a problem that way). Also, I've learned that I'm a rank amateur at video production and motion graphics. I am working at it, though! Skilled project needs skills...

• 3 months later...