Space Quest Superfan Hangout #1: The Highlights

Hey, guys. Because of a limitation on SQN, I'm going to post these highlights in segments. These links are all time codes in the full 4+ hour Hangout that was attended by notable veterans such as Jess Morrissette, Frederik Olsen, PCJ (whose connection crashed every five minutes), and ... holy shit, Akril shows up at the end!

Anyway, here's the first batch of highlights.

So, I'll bet you're all really jealous you couldn't make it to the first ever Space Quest Superfan Hangout on Google+ (which took place this Friday).

For those of you still blissfully unaware of the glorious mayhem you may have missed, here are a few points of interest:

• Scott Murphy showed up, unannounced, about an hour into the proceedings, and regaled us all with stories of past conquests and dirty King's Quest secrets.
  • Patrick, a.k.a. PCJ (our fearless web admin), breezed through the two first Space Quest games in under an hour and left us all gasping for air.
  • Samuel Lawson, a.k.a. Dat Engineer, got cut off more times than a traffic warden on his first day of work.
  • Jess Morrissette, proprietor of the first-ever Space Quest fan site, The Virtual Broomcloset, gave up on Space Quest 6 after the first few puzzles and resigned to play "The Fun-Seekers Guide to Eastern Madera County" (an easter egg on the Space Quest Collection CD-ROM).
  • Frederik Olsen, project lead on the fan game Vohaul Strikes Back, joined the Hangout with an impending hangover and took on Space Quest V. What a trooper.
Everyone had a blast. And we are definitely going to do this again. If you would like to get in on this fun, please leave a comment on this page and add +Roger Wilco to your Google+ circles.

Scott Murphy explains how he added some secret sauce to King's Quest II:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bWSlJHMH0cY#t=5735s

Jess Morrissette is still stuck on the first puzzle of Space Quest 6, 25 minutes into the proceedings:

http-~~-//t.co/yV8rXeP2

This post has been promoted to an article

Is it Slash or is it Sludge? Or should it've been Sludge Wilco all along? Scott Murphy has more, although I doubt you'll feel any smarter after listening to this:

https://t.co/Czn61zqg

Did you know there's an easter egg in Space Quest IV that's so secret, you can only view it by hacking the game? Dat Engineer has more:

https://t.co/xdpfQw4o

You've come this far. I'll bet you're wondering what all this has to do with the coming SpaceVenture!

Well! Here's an exclusive! Scott Murphy talks about who the protagonist for the upcoming SpaceVenture might be. Is he a rooster? Is he male? Is he a Guy From Andromeda? Find out:

https://t.co/qFhuowEm

Thanks to everyone for participating! We had an absolute blast, and we hope to see you for the next one. Take care!

Thanks for posting these highlights for posterity, Troels!

Frederik Olsen, project lead on the fan game Vohaul Strikes Back, joined the Hangout with an impending hangover and took on Space Quest V. What a trooper.

Technically, Patrick was the project lead by the end of it. I prefer to call myself "project founder," because that makes me appear important ;)

Seriously, though. My girlfriend deserves a huge shoutout for buying me two cans of Dr Pepper and some bags of crisps. I'm still sure the sugar in the former was what kept me going by the end. Still, my addled brain managed to kill off Roger in a way that no one in the Hangout had seen before, apparently, by neglecting to go free Spikey from the garbage compartment. Of course, when people say "I've never seen that death before," that's pretty much a polite way of saying "I've never been stupid enough to try that." ;)

I switched to SQ3 a little while after Scott joined, but since my attention was slipping, I didn't even get off the Garbage Freighter before I quit and focused on the great conversations we were having. Again, this is one of the funniest things I've ever participated in, but I will have to admit that a personal highlight for me was that, because of similarities between Scott's intended Vohaul backstory and the one we came up with for VSB, he stated that I had actually indirectly convinced him to play the fangames.

I've written this so many times it's starting to get creepy, but Scott really is a nice, humble and very funny man, and to think that he's going to work his way through a game I helped create is just... well, "mindblowingly huge" can only cover so much :)

Jess Morrissette, proprietor of the first-ever Space Quest fan site, The Virtual Broomcloset, gave up on Space Quest 6 after the first few puzzles and resigned to play "The Fun-Seekers Guide to Eastern Madera County" (an easter egg on the Space Quest Collection CD-ROM).

I'm pretty sure that pcj finished SQ2 in less time than it took me to complete the Fun-Seeker's Guide.

Jess