SQ1 VGA Questions

Mop Jockey

I actually generally prefer almost all of Sierra's remakes of their classic games, with the exception of the Quest for Glory I Remake (don't get me wrong, that game is beautiful in its own right, but I really enjoy the EGA original. This, though, is moreso due to my love of Sierra's SCI-0 design system). My main reason for preferring the remakes is my general dislike of Sierra's AGI system, though. I have only played the SQI remake once (whereas I have played the original several times), but I liked it a lot better, mainly due to Josh Mandel's terrific dialog, Ken Allen's soundtrack, and as Troels mentioned earlier, the seamless transition of a parser game into a point-and-click interface.

I'm not going to lie. I don't generally have a much of an eye for art in games. I've recently learned to appreciate it, but I mainly play games for their story and character development, and since I haven't played through the Space Quest series as many times as the other people on this forum, it's difficult for me to really say whether or not that it fits the overall feel or vibe of the series. I know that for me, I was able to enjoy the game quite a bit while I played it, and it is one of my favorite Space Quest games (after Space Quest III and V). I took some time in composing this post to go online and really compare the artwork in this game to the rest of the series, and I do admit, it is quite different indeed! I didn't notice it when I was playing through the game myself last year, but seeing it in comparison to the others, it's quite surprising just how different it is.

I can definitely still appreciate the artistic direction of this game, though. I've never seen any 1950's sci-fi, so I really have no basis for comparison except for what a Google search could show me, but I can definitely see the point that several people have brought up about that vibe. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but I think that if it were to fit with the overall feel of the original series, it would need a lot more darker colors. Mark seems to favor a lot of blue, green, and purple in his games, which are mostly missing from the SQI Remake. Again, not a bad thing, but a definite stylistic difference nonetheless.

So, in conclusion, while I totally understand several people's perspectives in preferring the originals, at the same time, I think that the remake in and of itself is a fun game, and one that I would definitely play again someday!

Talk to you later!

JDHJANUS

Josh

• 5 years later...

I can't believe I was able to stumble upon this thread....

I know I'm late to the discussion but I just wanted to add that I personally love SQ1VGA.  I understand that it would really bother the creators that they had no input into essentially was their creation but I was always very happy with the end result.  For starters, I think the soundtrack was amazing. I still play it in my car to this day.  It really elevated the game in my view and enhanced my playing experience.

I loved the dialogue, the snarkiness of some of the characters, the instant replay deaths with the Two Guys providing the play by play, etc....essentially I think that it was well written and an enhancement over the original.   

The "look" of the game though, being 50's retro....I can understand how this is a departure from the rest of the series and could definitely rub certain fans the wrong way.  And they aren't necessarily wrong.  My personal opinion is that SQ4 best captured the Two Guys vision for SQ in all aspects; art, music, writing, etc...  The 50's look just seems to come out of nowhere but ultimately I think I'm ok with it because the entire SQ series is supposed to be (in my view) goofy sci fi, not super serious; a parody of sorts of the genre.  Even SQ4 which is the most serious game of the series had its fair share of comedic elements.  

Anyways, I'm glad I found this thread, everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure and I know that I'll always enjoy playing SQ1VGA whenever I return to my semi regular run through of all six games.  

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, ArmyGuyDan said:

games like SQ1 VGA, SQ4 and SQ5 were my favorite to play, the older SQ1 and Sq2, SQ3 was a little challenging, point and click interface were soo much easier for me to play

Out of curiosity - is English your native speaking language?

I ask because - back when Sierra changed to point and click - I actually wrote them a strongly worded letter about how disappointed I was. How Sierra games had helped me learn to type and type fast! And how just clicking on a screen to pick up items or interact with an item rather than trying to figure it out made it way too easy!

Then, the age of the internet became a thing... and suddenly, I realized, I was thinking of it for my own selfish point of view. There were a ton of people, who played Sierra games, where English was not their native language, and they were struggling with how to phrase things in English that the game understood.

So I got a new appreciation for the ol' point and click, though for my own preference, I still do prefer the typing interface.