Does anyone have high quality (clean) box scans?

e1ven

Hey every one I still need your HELP! I am currently working on getting another poster complete and this is the last super hi rez image I have to work with. Below is a graphic of my progress thus far. If anyone out there could get me SQ1VGA, SQ4, SQ5, SQ6 this would be a huge help in the effort to finally get Space Quest Posters on to the halls and walls in the true fanboys domains across the globe! If you can help please supply a 600 dpi scan of your box art. If you are supplying the SQ4 box art please see that you can remove the sticker off Vohals shoulder in the bottom left corner. And please remember to make sure the art is completely touching the glass as to ensure there are no blurry areas since that will render the scan useless. I am good but not that good ;) Once again thanks in advance and god speed!

HCH

post-1628-0-50543200-1370269908_thumb.png

Excellent e1ven! that would be outstanding! I do have one other request as well if you wouldn't mind... The SQ4 box art, can you remove the sticker off Vohals shoulder in the bottom left corner? If there's one there that is going to be a very troublesome area to recreate. If not I will do my best to repair that area. Just trying to see if I can keep these posters as close to the original art as possible. Other than that I'll keep plugging away at SQ1 and I'll be looking forward to your next batch of Space quest box art!

Thanks again e1ven!

HCH

Excellent Tip tomimt! I'll go back and run that filter over the working files. I honestly left that in there because I couldn't figure that out but this is great! I tested it out on one of the high rez jpegs and it was a very effective deduction in the "moire" noise. I'll repost an update later when I get those resolved and PCJ confirms they have been switched out. Thanks again!

HCH

Hey Space Quest fans! I've been wanting a SQ3 poster forever, I'd like to thank everyone for making this effort to posterize the SQ box art. I just got a print back today, it's an 18x24 canvas print and I dare say the quality is divine!

https://twitter.com/...8018433/photo/1

One thing I did before printing was a mild blur filter in photoshop, to soften the printed pixels that were on the box.

Posted Image

And here is how it looks on canvas!!

Posted Image

Thanks everyone, I can finally have this hanging on my wall. You're all awesome!

and thanks to PCJ for tweeting this to my attention.

-Joe

Once Mark has time, we should definitely get him to scan his SQ1 black box in higher resolution. I like the more common artwork, but definitely prefer the black box version :)

Thanks for your efforts so far - these look really good!

Hey Bowz that's really exciting to see the first documented poster has been printed!! Also sorry for the pixel issue it has been corrected now the new version has been uploaded to the site. I am just happy to see you were able to address the issue before you had it printed! Looks Great! I will be ordering myself one of these beauties as well at some point and I'm glad to hear it came out nicely :)

Frede I agree with you on the black box as well. Although at the same time I want to make sure we can have all the SQ versions available for anyone who wants their favorite version of the games on their wall to give them that ever so warm and gooey, yet clean Space Questy feeling.

HCH

Posters are still moving along nicely thanks to everyones help, you guys are awesome! "New" SQ4 posters will be added for Download as soon as PCJ has a chance. Also I have started restoration on SQ1 EGA and will be in need of some more high rez scans at 600 dpi and since this is the last of the art I have to work with I will not be able to continue the effort! Let's all join hands and scan some box art together!

Special thanks to Doberman369, Tomimt, e1ven and Neolycan for their contributions to the project!

HCH

post-1628-0-83076600-1370701438_thumb.png

"New" SQ1 EGA poster will be added for Download as soon as PCJ has a chance. Also I have started restoration on the SQ1 VGA Remake. I know Mark and Scott don't consider this to be an "Official" version but I LOVE the box art none the less and I'm sure I'm not alone. It's another great piece from the one, the only, Terry Robinson!

Frede - I think you will appriciate this new EGA addition :)

Special thanks to Doberman369, Tomimt, e1ven and Neolycan for their contributions to the project!

HCH

post-1628-0-20908600-1370912912_thumb.png

Thank you very much for working on these, I'm really excited to deck my house in SQ art.

One thing you might want to consider is if you're losing detail in the way you're doing the blurring, to remove the halftoning -

For example, if you zoom in on the poster, to look at the woman who's working at M-burger, the wording gets somewhat harder to read in your version.

Sadly, some detail is going to be lost in any cleanup, but perhaps a gentle Median blur might leave it a bit more intact? Or even just leaving it unblurred...

Admittedly it's a judgement call, but I had wanted to bring up the issue, and see if you had at least considered less agressive sharpening.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/7jQV1Fc.jpg

In any event, thank you once more for working on these - They're quite nice.

e1ven - Hey thanks for the call out. I'm not exactly sure what other way I could approach these scans, but of course i'm sure there is always another way. The process I'm using is based off the pure fact that when the scans come in they have a this ugly pattern on them that I left in on the SQ3 poster originally. I did have another fan call out that I could get rid of that by using a photoshop filter called medium and I t worked pretty well. Now that by nature leaves the image more blurry. Next I run it through camera raw to eliminate the noise which works wonders. I ended up realizing that passing it through twice gave it a clean paint look. Although there is loss of details like the one you pointed out, that just seems to be the trade off. It literally comes down to a little less detail but a super clean look or a little more detail and a grittier digital look. If the images I had to work with did not start off with the scanner distortions I would not need to go through those steps. Unfortunately this is as good as it's going to get on my end based on the art provided but at the end of the day we are talking about zooming in here at 300%+ and focusing in on tiny details that were already a little hard to make out on the boxes to begin with and will be the same case when a poster is printed. I hope this explanation helps to clear up why they look the way they do. If anyone else though is interested in giving it a try I would be more than happy to supply them with the scans I have received.

Thanks guys!

HCH