Favorite Fanfics?

What are some of your favorite fan fics?

I really enjoyed the "Future's History" stories, as well as the novelization of "The Sarien Encounter". I remember years back there were some unfinished novelizations of SQ3 & 5 posted on the VB, I wonder if they were ever finished...

Whoa, you actually read The Sarien Encounter? I didn't think anyone actually got through that. ;)

Daniel Stacey and I had plans to novelize the entire series. We would take turns. Dan actually finished an SQ2 novel which was really good and sadly lost forever. Meanwhile, I was working on SQ3 and SQ5 simultaneously. SQ5 got really far, over 80 pages (up until Genetix); SQ3 not so much, about 30 pages. These are also gone.

Dan was supposed to do SQ4 but went off on a wild tangent and did the Future's History books instead, which I had the priviledge of editing.

Leonard Kramer and I were actually really proud of Lone Voyager when we wrote it, but in retrospect I see it owes far more to Hitchhiker's Guide (and often reads like a bad impression of Douglas Adams) than Space Quest. Which is entirely my fault: I wrote most of the actual text, with Leo sitting on the sidelines with grand ideas and scenarios.

Thanks to this thread, I was inspired to pull out the old Sarien Encounter novel and wring it through a quick layout process in InDesign for a PDF version. I figure, if anyone would ever want to read it, having to download an old Microsoft Word document from 1998 would be asking a bit much.

Here it is: pdf file - The Sarien Encounter.pdf

Awesome work Troels! One thing I really enjoyed about it was that it was creative and put a unique spin on certain events instead of just being an exact translation of the events of the games, which I also liked about the Companion as well. But having said that, I like how the official guide had Roger tell the two guys about his adventures whereas the Companion didn't.

And, as it turns out I actually have the unfinished SQ3 & 5 Novels in my collection, I was in the habit of collecting almost anything SQ related that I came across back in the day, and I remember they were posted very briefly, so naturally I snatched them lol I'd be happy to send them your way if you'd like

Since megaupload seems to be down and out, I had to search for an alternative, and I think I got it right. I put them is a RAR file and uploaded them to here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/4085825186 ... Novels.rar

May the nostalgia be great and the embarrassment minimal! ;) They are very well written! Who knows when the muse will decide to bite again :)

A short while back, I wrote couple Police Quest fan-fics on a forum. I'm rather proud of them (and their conveniently short "finish them in a minute" length) so they might be worth sharing.

Sonny's Best Day Ever! - Done in the style of a children's book, a segment of this was featured in VSB.

Dead Men Dream of Bullets for Dessert - a film noire style-parody where Sonny runs into some problems down at the precinct.

Otherwise, I think all my old Space Quest fan-fics have been lost to the ages.

Since megaupload seems to be down and out, I had to search for an alternative, and I think I got it right. I put them is a RAR file and uploaded them to here:

May the nostalgia be great and the embarrassment minimal! ;) They are very well written! Who knows when the muse will decide to bite again :)

Thank you very much for sharing those! It's incredible what washes up on the cyber shores every now and then. It was great seeing them again. Although I don't think I'd ever finish them in their current form; there's just too much I'd want to do differently now, I'd basically end up rewriting the whole thing anyway. SQ5 in particular just reads like a friggin' walkthrough. :)

Thank you very much for sharing those! It's incredible what washes up on the cyber shores every now and then. It was great seeing them again. Although I don't think I'd ever finish them in their current form; there's just too much I'd want to do differently now, I'd basically end up rewriting the whole thing anyway. SQ5 in particular just reads like a friggin' walkthrough. :)

My pleasure, it was my pack rat philosophy with all things Space Quest back in the day that made it possible! I did at one point attempt to novelize Space Quest 4, but that project ended up evolving into it's own multi-story universe project that my friends joined in on that only resembles SQ4 if you know SQ4. Ironically enough, the main character, who happens to be an avid Sierra fan, never seems to make that connection

A short while back, I wrote couple Police Quest fan-fics on a forum. I'm rather proud of them (and their conveniently short "finish them in a minute" length) so they might be worth sharing.

Sonny's Best Day Ever! - Done in the style of a children's book, a segment of this was featured in VSB.

Dead Men Dream of Bullets for Dessert - a film noire style-parody where Sonny runs into some problems down at the precinct.

Otherwise, I think all my old Space Quest fan-fics have been lost to the ages.

Why don't you post them on SHP for those that don't check this forum? You can post them in them in the Bard's Forum.

This story...I don't know why, but this is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. This really deserves a dramatic reading.

(Huh...I don't think I ever knew we had a Bard's Forum either. No surprise, considering how hard it was to find the thing.)