New SQ7 beta thread

Spikey

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Activision & Blizzard are new hosts of "Space Quest" ™? What's about Vivendi?

Blizzard was owned by Vivendi. Vivendi "partnered" with Activision not long ago and now they're both called Activision-Blizzard. They're one company now.

And SQ7 isn't finished, is it? Creators just can't continue work?

Right.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep hoping - with AV selling off the old Sierra titles soon (anyone heard anything on that?), hopefully a company will buy the series and allow SQ7 to be released....

Please...

• 4 months later...

Keep hoping - with AV selling off the old Sierra titles soon (anyone heard anything on that?), hopefully a company will buy the series and allow SQ7 to be released....

What is AV? You mean, some AV can buy "Space Quest" title, but why?

And ... who knows why Colin Davis didn't change name of game, like fan-creators of KQ9 (to Silver Lining), for example to SQ: Seven part? or 7 part of RW Adventures?

They all are strange :( Vivendi, AV, ...

They keep "Space Quest" and etc titles, but for why? TM SQ doesn't give money anymore, so it's abuse for company, isn't it?

And what's about Colin, why doesn't he rename SQ7 to another title for releasing game?

Because there were certain people working on the SQ7 team that didn't want to be a part of the project if Vivendi were involved. That's the last I heard anyway. Also the SQ7 team tried to counter offer something to Vivendi's deal about licensing it as a fan project like the AGDI remakes and KQ9. I guess the SQ7 team weren't happy with it just being a licensed fan project. I really don't know the ins and outs so I'll just wait for someone who was on the team to explain it better (more correctly?).

I see... Seems, main problem is wish to create *free official* sequel... It's strange.

IMHO, SQ fans'd like any SQ7 - official or fan... It's not so main reason to drop/pause project... That is why SQ7 Team *try* to be game company to prove Vivendi they're professional team.... but why? We'll never have game if sq7.org wanna do it "free commercial" or just commercial, 'cause of TM.

SQ7 Team's egoism?

Like I said, some people who were members of the SQ7 team said they wouldn't (couldn't?) work on it if Vivendi was involved. I think some of the people were ex-Sierra employees or possibly employees of other game companies. So in that sense it's not a matter of ego but a matter of legality and contractual obligation.

But see result. We haven't anything. And maybe will never have anything.

So, it's not egoism? There's one main thing, it's *result*. Game. Maybe creators of SQ:Inc, SQ2VGA will want to be a legal game company and we'll never have these games too, cool.

But Vivendi could have started selling it themselves and then demand that they remove the free version from the SQ7 website. That would suck.

But it would be Space Quest 7 !!! I'd buy it!*

Why we haven't time machine... For example, we could be go2past and solve future SQ7.org problem; or go2future and get SQ7 :(

(*translation from russian: some russian guy'd buy it, put in tracker, and i'd download it... and you could do it, too)

But Vivendi could have started selling it themselves and then demand that they remove the free version from the SQ7 website. That would suck.

It would be hilarious, too. Ten years of not selling a decent adventure game and they decide on a whim that it's time to revive a lost art.

Hey, they would have gotten the game for free*

stolen it

Our biggest problem with Sq7 was that Vivendi wanted full copyright assignment of the game to allow release. IIRC, that's the same deal they offered The KQ9 team.

We had promised several people, mainly Josh, we'd never give it to them- We had several people work on the game under the promise that we wouldn't give over their work to anyone else.

We made a lot of mistakes with SQ7. Most of them were my fault, but I think the core of the game was really fun. I'm sorry I didn't do better at getting it out there.. At this point, I'd want to redo a lot of stuff..

Some of the plot was a bit klunky- One of the puzzles in particular involved time warps through space, which is a really hard concept to bring across.. I was always in a tough position- The writers were often more experienced than I was, so pushing back was hard, and the artists were volunteering their time, and would resent it if I pushed back on trying to make the images fit the descriptions correctly.

The engine was great for the early 2000s when it was conceived, but it's looking very dated compared to 2009-era games, such as Sam & Max, and Wallace and Gromit. They do 3d adventure games very well, and doing a lot of the stuff we discussed and had wanted to do.

Honestly, I think that TellTale is a really great studio. I don't know if you've looked at their games, I love what they're doing, and would love to see them come out with a SQ game if we can't be the ones to do it.

Colin "Stopping By" Davis