1. 1. Which one was easiest?

• Space Quest I EGA
    • Space Quest I VGA
    • Space Quest II
    • Space Quest III
    • Space Quest IV
    • Space Quest V
    • Space Quest VI

The idea for this poll is genius....the kind of genius idea that makes one resentful for not having thought of it first!. I was stuck between SQ1 and 3. I think that 1 has the easiest puzzles of the series. Even if it has some bad dead ends, it's so short that it isn't difficult to just start over completely.

I think that SQ3 was rather obscure for the fact that it took a lot of aimless bumbling around before you accidentally stumble upon what the plot is supposed to be. Also, that Astro Chicken game is really hard! Still, it's my second fav in the series for its atmosphere, music and humor ;).

I seem to remember SQ6 having some pretty obscure puzzles, but it's been years since I last played that. I also have not played SQ5 yet, so maybe my opinion will change.

SQ3 was shorter, so I consider it the easiest. I don't know. It's hard to tell, really. Maybe SQ5 was the easiest. I don't remember every getting stuck in SQ5. It was just a very enjoyable streamlined set of events. Not that it was TOO easy, but it was entertaining and fluid without any harsh stops. In fact, it almost felt like a Telltale game, now that I think about it...

Space Quest 1 VGA. Maybe it's because I played it after having beaten the original SQ1, but it felt like it was both easier and shorter. Again, probably has something to do with already knowing the solution to 99% of the puzzles.

Space Quest 3 was a definite runner up. I don't know why people say that it's a short SQ game, it's overly long in my opinion. But it's also easy, so I suppose that makes up for. Really the only part about it that I found difficult was the robots at the end. (And sometimes the dogfight portion, but nine times out of ten that's a cakewalk for me.)

Bleh, SQ5 feeling like a TELLTALE game? Get out of my kitchen! :wink: I suppose it is pretty streamlined, but I guess to me it always felt like there was so much happening in every environment you went to. Even in transit to garbage pickups you have about three or four dialog options with the crew, which certainly made for an interesting time. So, puzzles may have been easy, but I spent more time being stuck in SQ5 than I did in SQ1VGA or 3.

For a poll I started, I can't come up with a good answer. If there's one thing the Space Quest is, it's consistently challenging. I'd have to go with the lesser of all evils in this case.

So... Space Quest 3 it is then. It has it's fair share of frustration, but there's an emphasis on the "fair." I honestly have no problem beating any of the arcade sequences, Arnoid's always easy, the decoder ring message takes more time than effort, and for some reason, I can always get out of the garbage freighter without a walk-through. Something about the flow of it all just seems natural.

SQ5 was also pretty fair, but I'll give it to SQ3 just because it's a parser game - and most parser games can be downright cruel.

I agree with Vroom about sq1 vga.

Space Quest 1 VGA. Maybe it's because I played it after having beaten the original SQ1, but it felt like it was both easier and shorter. Again, probably has something to do with already knowing the solution to 99% of the puzzles.

Space Quest 3 was a definite runner up.

Having played the original made a huge difference to how easy this game was. But for me it wasnt just knowing about the puzzles that made it easier. In my opinion the point and click interface changed the way all sierra games were. The fact that we no longer had to guess the correct word (or spelling) made the game much simpler.

In my opinion the point and click interface changed the way all sierra games were. The fact that we no longer had to guess the correct word (or spelling) made the game much simpler.

Definitely agree about the point and click interface. The graphics also made a huge difference; now you could see that piece of glass on the ground! And the widget made the slots a snap, unlike the original where you had to hope for the best or curse your way to fortune...

I understand the viewpoint that many hold about the parser interface's flexibility, especially for dialog, but the thing that I was always irritated by it was that often the vocabulary was too limited, so often the games would degenerate into a "tell me what exact word I am thinking of now" game with the developer.

• 2 weeks later...

Space Quest 3 was a definite runner up. I don't know why people say that it's a short SQ game, it's overly long in my opinion.

I don't believe it was just your knowing how to beat the ega version prior. I played SQ1VGA before ever playing EGA, and I must say it was quite straightforward and 'figure-out-able.' I did so within one month without using a single cheat. I do recall getting stuck for awhile on the whole 'say-no-to-the-pimp-and-wait-for-him-to-walk-around-the-building-before-you-sell-him-the-skimmer-to-get-the-jetpack' deal.

Which is why I voted SQ1VGA ;)

As for SQ3, technically it may not be a short adventure game, but regarding the rich variety of locations available, it seems to me still that there was not an equivocally rich amount of exploration within all those locations. Phleebhut was fairly decent, the garbage freighter was fine, and I wouldn't expect but a few minute's stop at monolith, but I always felt disappointed at how quickly Ortega and the Pestulonian forest (one screen really) flew by. Perhaps just the child in me at that time, perhaps just a matter of perception.

But no, I suppose you are right, it's technically not a short game, is it?