Why do some people think it's so important to pay?

lukeman3000

I have tons of game CD's that are in no condition to be played. The Space Quest Collection CD's included.

I don't really have much to chime in with here, apart from getting behind Olzen's outburst 100%. (Then again, you should see Olzen and I riling up other people on Facebook when we start talking about music copyright. Sometimes it sounds like we're planning revolutions. ;) )

I bought Under a Killing Moon and Pandora's Directive on GOG some time ago, even though I have both games, somewhere... I think.

In any case, my motivation for paying for them again, was not particularly moral, but I feel that the effort GOG put into making them a) playable on a modern system B) not having to juggle 4-8 CDs was worth $5 or however much I paid for them.

I could probably have gotten the GOG installers on pirate bay for free, but with GOG and to a lesser extend Steam I feel we have reached a stage where paying for them is more convenient (everything considered) than pirating them, which is really where we should be in terms of piracy vs non-piracy.

Like Gabe Newell said, as far as he is concerned, piracy is just another competitor, and if they provide a better service than him, he's doing something wrong. (I'm quote from (a bad) memory, so I might have messed that up, but in my little fantasy world, that's what I believe he said.)

• 3 weeks later...

If I want to play the games, I have no qualms about downloading a quick ISO off The Pirate Bay instead of going looking for CD's in my basement that are, at this point, all scratched to hell anyway. I know that won't hold up in court, but I don't care.

What I don't get is - I have bought the various collections (because my original copies are on floppies and such). As such, I then installed it on my external drive (because they take so little room). So when I get new external drives, I copy my folders from one to the next. So I always have a copy present. I even backed up my installs onto CDs/DVDs (because of a external drive crash once, lesson learned). So I never need to go to my basement (which is good, because I don't have one, so that would make matters complicated!)

Yeah, it doesn't fund the original artists/creators... but it does show an interest in adventure games. (Not that they have executed their attempts at adventure games very well with LSL:MCL or LSL:BOB, but...)

Tawmis, you're much more organized than I'll ever be. I can't begin to tell you how many laptops, desktop computers, external hard drives, flash drives, USB sticks, internal hard drives and floppy disks I have mangled, broken, busted and irrevocably damaged beyond repair. Each time taking a huge chunk of valuable shit along with it.

One external hard drive took away every photo I had ever taken since 1998. The last laptop that died on me took with it my half-finished project of replacing all the narrator lines in SQ2VGA. Stuff's not safe with me.

Guys, is it true that Roger Wilco IS NOT trademarked? Well, then why even care about the license? You could even spin a story out of the fact that Roger isn't in the Space Quest timeline anymore. this is science fiction after all. If Roger is safe and usable in future stories, everythings dandy, isn't it?

Chris, excellent point. I actually had the good fortune to chat with Scott and Mark at the start of this project, and the subject of trademarks came up. The problem is, as you can probably guess, even though they don't technically own LEGAL RIGHTS to Roger Wilco, certain parties (something-vision, I forget) could easily cause a big stink if The Two Guys started making Roger Wilco games. Not getting on their bad side is also vitally important to the success of this venture.

Tawmis, you're much more organized than I'll ever be. I can't begin to tell you how many laptops, desktop computers, external hard drives, flash drives, USB sticks, internal hard drives and floppy disks I have mangled, broken, busted and irrevocably damaged beyond repair. Each time taking a huge chunk of valuable shit along with it.

One external hard drive took away every photo I had ever taken since 1998. The last laptop that died on me took with it my half-finished project of replacing all the narrator lines in SQ2VGA. Stuff's not safe with me.

The part where you said I am more organized, I think the gods may have giggled a little bit. (Probably the only thing I am super organized with is my comics. (I embrace my entire nerdiness)

But I know all too well about losing data. I do Neverending Nights and lost a ton of audio lines (sort of like you did with the SQ2) as well as video, personal photos, mp3 files, etc. I managed to find BadCopy Pro and licensed it for a mere 30 bucks - and recovered some of the data. But that event - losing all the data that I did - is what has made me so paranoid that I actually have a calendar reminder that goes to my gmail about backing up data now.

I used to do the same thing with my Sierra games, but after all the work or writing my installers for others, I have found I can quickly and easily set up all my Sierra games again, all patched and optimized using the very same installers I have available on SHP. Other data is another matter, though.

I used to do the same thing with my Sierra games, but after all the work or writing my installers for others, I have found I can quickly and easily set up all my Sierra games again, all patched and optimized using the very same installers I have available on SHP. Other data is another matter, though.

Well like Troeles... I have my Sierra games all packaged away nicely in the garage. So I'd have to dig them up to do so. So it just became easier to get them all installed and configured once, and just keep making sure I have back ups!