Broken Sword returns

tomimt

I enjoyed Broken Sword, but I really think it's been way overhyped -- and Revolution seem to be incapable, or unwilling, to do anything else these days but to milk that dead cow for all it's worth. I bought the "Director's Cut" for my Wii and the added stuff was absolutely abysmal.

I really wanted them to do a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky, one of my all-time favorite games ... but sadly, it seems Charles Cecil won't do that because he didn't invent that. (Dave Cummins, the creator of Steel Sky, had a massive falling out with the company just after the release of Steel Sky. Pity.)

I really wanted them to do a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky, one of my all-time favorite games ... but sadly, it seems Charles Cecil won't do that because he didn't invent that.

Tony Warriner of Revolution: "@simon & derek for sure some of us are thinking about Steel Sky 2 - I'm hoping it's my next project after bs5!"

• 3 weeks later...

I saw red and wrote a long, angry post about the Steel Sky return.

Then I got my ass handed to me on this forum by some people and was defended by others. (I suspect "Infinitron" to be one of the Undergrounders ... ;) )

So, I'm curious. Did Space Quest 4 borrow from BASS or vice versa? They could be practically the same game at the start. I've only just started BASS for the first time...I'm excited. Geeking out.

Well, Steel Sky 1 was released in 1994; Space Quest IV was released in 1991. But I doubt the background artist for Steel Sky played SQ4 -- that was Dave Gibbons, who drew the Watchmen comics. Maybe Revolution did, but I don't think their intention was to rip anything off. Also, there are way fewer zombies in Steel Sky than in the streets of Xenon. ;)

Nice ragey rant, Troels! The stretch goal is clearly a cruel and cheeky joke on BASS fans to whip them up all frothily, before they then turn around and tell us they're going to do it anyway (now that they have our attention). I wouldn't take it too seriously, and Tony (et. al.) on the BS5 comment thread have stated that it was primarily to gauge interest, and bring in MOAR MONIEZ for BS5 (which is not a Templar story, BTW, not that any BASS fan cares too much about that).

I completely agree that it's a despicable tactic to have used, but if the real goal was to get the fans attention (for better or worse) it seems to have worked.

So, I assume you're settling in to get a nice backlash going? :lol:

(ahem... backlash to Rev, not to me, that is...)

P.S. I agree... BASS was one of the most perfect adventure games to have ever been built. If Cummins was as influential as you claim, then his absence is indeed a true loss.

A little update on the situation: I actually got an e-mail from Charles Cecil last night, because he seems to be doing some pretty damn good damage control on the subject. He has openly expressed admiration for Cummins' work, he greenlit BASS2 even though BS5 didn't meet the required stretch goal, and he expressed interest in reconciling with Cummins in the e-mail I received. Trouble is, he has no idea where Cummins has got to.

If any of us can track down Dave Cummins, we might have a chance of a proper Steel Sky 2. That is, if he'd be willing to work with Charles Cecil again -- and, based on the e-mails I got from him back in '97/'98, probably not.

But hey -- Dave Gibbons is on board with BASS2. So there's always that. :)