Opened spore inventory item in Space Quest II?

BlockMaster

Wow! Now I see. That's clever. I didn't think the program was intelligent enough to recognize that an impact would burst the spore. That's one of the things that I like about Space Quest. The Two Guys programmed an answer to everything you could possibly do in-game.

Well, almost everything... My Space Quest I VGA crashed when I looked at my unique Buckazoid. :P Something something 036 hex text. not found bla bla, and the fish in Space Quest 6 doesn't have any messages associated to it, but at least they know how to paralyse Roger.

At the end of the maze sequence, you tumble down to where the little pink (?) men are. If you still have a spore in your inventory, it bursts once you hit the ground.

This incapacitates Roger, and you gotta stare at your screen for a while, or maybe go pee. It will take him a while to wake up again.

When you come back, he'll be awake and he'll have an "empty spore" in his inventory that uses that graphic.

I'm amazed -- and thoroughly grateful -- at how I am still learning something new from this forum to this day!

I know how games work, and that games do not "think" or "realize". My joke just didn't work well.

This thread makes me rethink of all the things we think that are not in-game. How many of them are actually in-game, but just hard to trigger? Mind goggles with the possibilities. Also, I agree that it would be interesting if this was in the remake.

BM

• 2 weeks later...
At the end of the maze sequence, you tumble down to where the little pink (?) men are. If you still have a spore in your inventory, it bursts once you hit the ground.

Hmm. Now I'm curious as to whether the same thing happens on the non-lethal cliff drop next to the mailbox. Mind booting up the game and checking? :D

the fish in Space Quest 6 doesn't have any messages associated to it

An unfortunate symptom of SQ6's development hell. IIRC, Josh Mandel was the main man for much of the initial development, and we all know how he likes to think of everything, especially when it comes to random <verb> the <noun> messages. But then Bad Things happened (Troels is more qualified to elaborate on them than I am) and a lot of places and items were left without these specialized messages when the game was finally wrapped up. That's why some parts of the game (like the Ascend-O-Pad) are chock full of funny comments, while others are dry as a bone, full of only generic "you can't do that" messages. Oh, what could have been... :(

Hmm. Now I'm curious as to whether the same thing happens on the non-lethal cliff drop next to the mailbox. Mind booting up the game and checking? :D

Haha, that one is the easiest to check because it's right next to the spores. Sadly, it doesn't cause a knock-out :(

Nor does the other nonlethal fall by the big tree one screen to the right...

And, as Akril pointed out in one of my podcast episodes, the fish DOES actually have inventory descriptions -- they were recorded and are in the resource file on the CD. They just weren't implemented in the game.

Now I really feel cheated. I can understand running out of time, resources and/or patience while completing the game, but to actually go to the trouble of creating the audio and then not even using it? That's just lazy. <_<