Sierra meetup being planned for Summer 2014 in Oakhurst, CA

pcj

Hmm, so after that post I thought seriously about this idea for the first time and... you know, this might actually be feasible :D

With some basic googling, I found flights in July 2013 (2014 is too far off at this point) from London to LA and back for about 750 EUR, which would be totally okay by me.

We could probably knock it down even more by digging deeper.

The cheapest days for flying seem to be in the middle of the week, so it might be a good idea to spend a whole week there, arriving around Jul 15-17 and leaving around Jul 22-24.

If we have some Sierra fans in CA, each willing to let a few Europeans crash at their place around that time and drive them to and from the airport and Oakhurst (which seems likely), we could cut down any additional costs significantly.

And we could also have some European get-together before and/or after that in London/Amsterdam/Copenhagen/(wherever we find the best transatlantic flights) instead of just hopping onto the next flight right away.

This would be one epic once-in-a-lifetime road trip :D

Well, if you look at it, international flights will fly into LA and then connect to Fresno.

My point is it's probably cheaper/faster to fly from LA to Fresno than drive. ;)

(Though southern California does have rail service which I'm not too familiar with - will need to check into that)

Certainly faster. But not so sure about 'cheaper' :P

The price differences seem to be in the range of 100-300 EUR.

I guess Europeans are used to expensive gasoline, so I won't use California's high gas prices as a point there.

I suppose if everyone chips in for gas it wouldn't be as bad of a drive if we all go up together. Not sure if I or others would want to go back and forth multiple times.

I like the idea of some guy cramming 10 European Sierra nerds into a van and driving up from Los Angeles to Oakhurst. Not sure if the guy would. ;)

Los Angeles to Oakhurst? Land in New York instead! It's a cheaper flight, and you'll have more time to get to know one another during the cross-country drive. ;)

Jess

Los Angeles to Oakhurst? Land in New York instead! It's a cheaper flight, and you'll have more time to get to know one another during the cross-country drive. ;)

Jess

Being driven by Jess Morrissette cross-country with Fred puking in the back? I smell epic road trip. And regurgitated airline meals.

This convention would be one of the most awesome, amazing things ever - if I could afford to go. :( Sadly, I can't - as stated in the Tennessee con thread, I can haz no monies until early 2014, and definitely can't justify a round-trip plane ticket given the limited funds I'll have at the time1.

What would it take to get the European Space Quest fans on a single plane to Oakhurst?

What!? No, are you *mad*!? You can't put that many of you guys in the same place at once - what happens if the plane goes down? We lose like, 67.2% of the fandom's primary motivating individuals2! We'd be lost without you guys!

I like the idea of some guy cramming 10 European Sierra nerds into a van and driving up from Los Angeles to Oakhurst.

Sure, it sounds like fun - until you get pulled over by Southern California state troopers asking why you have nearly a dozen foreigners crammed into the back of your vehicle. Sure, you *probably* won't be arrested - it's legal and all, in this case - but it sure will make you look mighty suspicious. ;)

1) Once I finally *do* have some scratch coming in again, it's going straight into the "Ascii's Dating Fund". See, there's this girl3...

2) Like Manuel says, arbitrary decimals sound cooler than flat percentages.

3) Assuming I actually work up the nerve to ask her out. And she doesn't say no and/or throw her drink in my face for asking.