Vohaul Strikes Back!

pcj

Posted Image

After 10 long years, we're pleased to announce the release of the latest Space Quest fangame, Vohaul Strikes Back.

We hope you enjoy playing it. Please let us know if you have any questions.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank all the VSB developers for sticking through to the end, and all the beta testers for helping us polish the game.

I'm kind of impatient to get this released so I'll stop typing and let you get playing. Enjoy!

(In case you missed the link above, click here to proceed to our download page.)

More like 9.5 years, actually :wink:

Anyway, like pcj, I hope you'll enjoy the game. It's quite overwhelming to finally be able to release it and hopefully give Space Quest a new lease of life. I also want to thank everyone who has contributed to the game and supported us, even when we were acting like a group of dorks :)

Oh, and do feel free to join us on our forums. Comments, criticism, hint requests, bug reports and nonsensical banter are all very welcome.

Olzen, to be frank, I have my reservations about downloading this. On one hand, it was one of the most ambitious fan projects for its day and I'm finally glad to see it completed. On the other hand, I was on the original development team and I consider myself one of the main contributors to shit getting really bad. I regret the mess that I've made, but I'd still have personal feelings that might interfere with my ability to enjoy and experience the game.

Olzen, to be frank, I have my reservations about downloading this. On one hand, it was one of the most ambitious fan projects for its day and I'm finally glad to see it completed. On the other hand, I was on the original development team and I consider myself one of the main contributors to shit getting really bad. I regret the mess that I've made, but I'd still have personal feelings that might interfere with my ability to enjoy and experience the game.

That sucks dude, but most of the people without sour grapes seem to like it.

My name is WafflerSam. You might remember me from the Subchan message board. I wasn't exactly the most mature person around. Since then, I've tried to come to grips with it. I seem to have been forgiven, though I still kind of haven't forgiven myself.

I may download this game after all. It's been a while since I've played a great fan project, and Space Quest II VGA won't be coming out for a week yet. :)

Hey, Sam. I can assure you that there's no bitterness on my part anymore. Partly because I have to admit that you leaving acrimoniously also had a lot to do with my own immaturity, and with ineffective team structuring. So there's no reason for me to not forgive you for that. It appears you've moved on as well, and that's great.

There may have been some fairly ugly stuff since your departure, but you know... the game is out there now, and I prefer to dwell on that. If people want to Google up all the other crap, it's there for all to see. As for the quality of the game, Chris is right. If I have to be frank, we've had three different VSB's in production since the beginning. You'll find a lot of stuff has changed, but I honestly think this iteration is the best possible one. At least, not a single diaper is being changed in this one :wink:

You still have a credit, mind you, and I think not giving you that would be unfair. Despite all the changes, a lot of the structure and a lot of the pre-production ideas still came from you, and I don't want to pretend that doesn't matter. So yeah, download it and give it a spin and uninstall it again if you don't like it. That's perfectly fine. As long as there's no more pointless resentment, I'm happy.

Slightly off-topic... are you still working on "Outer Edge of Earnon"? How's that coming along?

I would begin this post with enthusiastic squeals of delight, but instead, I think I'll try to keep my composure as I write this:

This game is awesome in so many ways: it's a SQ fangame (haven't seen one of those in a long time), it's a full-length game that's padded out with puzzles rather than cutscenes (though the cutscenes are spectacular as well), it's hi-res 2D (have there been any hi-res 2D Sierra fangames besides this one?), it's a sequel instead of a remake (no offense to the people working on the remakes!), and perhaps most importantly, it has been completed.

With all the fangames over the years that have either fallen by the wayside or have become inexorably tangled in legal issues, it's amazing that a game of this quality should see the light after all this time. It's also great to see a lot of old faces from the SubSpace Channel showing up here.

Not to mention that the release of SQII+ and the promise of SQInc in the (hopefully) near future pushes this whole thing from awesome to downright surreal.

(And yet, for some inexplicable reason, I have yet to walk Roger over the edge of that cliff near the beginning in order to witness that death scene that was always cracking me up in

I don't know what's wrong with me.)

And yet, for some inexplicable reason, I have yet to walk Roger over the edge of that cliff near the beginning in order to witness that death scene that was always cracking me up in

I don't know what's wrong with me.
Clearly you're saving this for dessert :)

And many thanks for the rest of that post :)

It's also great to see a lot of old faces from the SubSpace Channel showing up here.

Yeap, with two fangames coming out over a holiday I would have expected the JT to be more active than it did. But probably most people aren't constantly refreshing the forums...

I hope this inspires other authors to come out of the woodwork, though.

No, you're right there, Brandon. We had somewhat high hopes as well, but I guess we're at least five years too late. Oh, well. At least our games might help non-Space Quest fans get into the series. I'm certainly grateful for the feedback we've been getting, and your remake seem to be doing really well too. Deservedly, I might add :)