Guys from Andromeda attending Tennessee convention in October

pcj

That is not a bad idea, that. If they would be up for it, of course. I can imagine it would be hard to get any sort of free time at a convention, let alone any you'd want to spend huddled in front of a webcam.

Well, let's get it out in the open, then. Any suggestions for a time for a G+ convention hangout?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dang, Captain! Medical bills? Car wreck? I'm sorry to hear this.

You are okay, I hope?

I had a big hit too this last 6 weeks. $500.00 in medical bills for an unexplained cause of severe shortness of breath. Literally thought I would die at a couple points. Could have been some nasty atypical pneumonia.

Anyways, get better!

Eh, I'm fine. Almost a year ago I got surprised by a deer at night - I lost control and collided head-on with another vehicle. My car was a total loss, but I came away with just severe bruising and cracked face and finger bones. Nothing life-threatening. ;)

Unfortunately, I have no health insurance, and my vehicle insurance only paid a fraction of the hospital bills. I still owe some 4000+ dollars that has to be paid off inside of the next year, which means that virtually all of my disposable income is going toward payments - I can barely afford the occasional videogame, much less a trip to a money-burning geek convention. ;)

Wow that's tough -- no insurance because self-employed? For several years my other half had no insurance, but then we finally managed to get group insurance through the small consulting company in which I am a partner. Another colleague of mine with a 1-man consulting company has insurance through a professional association (IEEE in this case) so that sort of thing might be worth looking into...

I was frightened into purchasing personal medical insurance post what happened to me this past month; and, considering your story Cap'n, I consider that $109 per month well worth it, per chance any such emergency ever were to occur.

I might also add, per chance any late payments went on your credit, hopefully the medical debt responsibility act will be approved by this next senate, and you will be able to force them to remove any negative impact to your score regarding medical debts within 45 days of them having been paid up.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I might also add, per chance any late payments went on your credit, hopefully the medical debt responsibility act will be approved by this next senate, and you will be able to force them to remove any negative impact to your score regarding medical debts within 45 days of them having been paid up.

While I appreciate the thought, I'm having no problems actually *making* the payments - I have the money. The problem is that that money *usually* goes towards video games, DVDs, and the occasional online purchase - all things I'm being forced to cut back on. There's no way that I can justify a con trip when I can't even buy new game releases without endangering my carefully-planned-out budget.

Sadly, this also means no Sierracon 2014 for me - I won't have anything to *start* saving with until early 2014, and I sure as hell won't be able to afford a trip to the West Coast. :(