Sierra may be coming back (New KQ Game)

Max Wilco

Hmm. The brand isn't everything. Don't really know what to make of it; they own no rights or assets and all the old timers whose games were worth playing want to be independent.

EDIT: I hadn't noticed Activision still owns it. Makes it slightly more interesting, with all the IP's they own. Here's hoping they'll want to collaborate with the original creators if they plan to revive any franchises.

It's nice that they seem to be atleast considering of doing something with the huge title catalogue. I'm betting that at least a new SWAT title could have huge potential. Also, I'm guessing a lot of re-releases, possible even ports of point and click titles to Android and iOS, considering there's a lot of indie titles that have proven that old school point and click titles work pretty well on those platform as well.

I think Tommint has the right idea, it seems highly likely this will be mostly used for mobile ports of existing games (SCUMMVM has iOS/Android support now, right?) and re-releases or "remasterings" of older games.  I can't see Activision dumping a ton of money into original development, although we do know they are/were interested in farming out the work to companies like TellTale and handling the publishing side.  I doubt they're expecting this label/brand to make a significant amount of money for them, but they should be able to make some money and earn goodwill from the AG community by putting classic titles on new platforms (and maybe introduce more people to the genre this way as well).

I don't particularly like the font/styling on the text for the new logo though.  But, at least they're smart and making the full announcement at Gamescom.  That's a good sign they're aware of the importance of the German market which kept the genre going.  Either that or it's really convenient timing.  EDIT:  I expect we'll find out what's going on with King's Quest at the announcement.  It's been over a year since TellTale said they had to give up the project, but that the franchise was "in good hands".

The fact that John Williams knows what's going on is interesting to say the least.

Hmm. The brand isn't everything. Don't really know what to make of it; they own no rights or assets and all the old timers whose games were worth playing want to be independent.

EDIT: I hadn't noticed Activision still owns it. Makes it slightly more interesting, with all the IP's they own. Here's hoping they'll want to collaborate with the original creators if they plan to revive any franchises.

Yeah, Activision picked up the brand during the merger with Vivendi (who had absorbed CUC's holdings in the fallout of the Cedant scandal).  The big question is which IPs they still own.  They sold Larry to Codemasters during the merger, and there's a handful of games that haven't hit GOG yet like Freddy Pharkas, Laura Bow, and Conquests, so who knows who has the rights for those now. 

That sentence is all sorts of depressing.

Sadly it makes sense for them to name drop more recent titles that have bigger audiences on a general purpose gaming news site.  I remember the outrage in the Unreal community when Epic's PR team was promoting Unreal Tournament 3 as "by the studio who brought you Gears of War".

I wouldn't be holding my breath for new adventure games myself. I'm betting on those re-releases on portable devices, which would mean that at least SQ games from 4 up could see new platforms. Then again, if SpaceVenture does good, and the guys are willing, perhaps some kind of licensing deal is possible.

But then again, I'm fully okay if SQ is left to rest in peace as a series.

Most people seem to think that this will amount to milking old IP with F2P/mobile garbage or naming a new DRM storefront after a cherished (and perished) company. John Williams‘ reassurance makes me cautiously optimistic that neither will be the case. If it means more Sierra classics on GOG or a new company tasked with making adventure games with some of the old guard working on them, I‘d welcome that.

If they're smart, they would offer the TGA and the Coles a helping hand in the form of moniez and manpower. In return, they'd publish SpaceVenture and Hero-U and get a share of the profits. That probably wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg and would immediately generate tremendous amounts of positive street cred among the Sierra fanbase towards the NuSierra brand.

I'm betting that at least a new SWAT title could have huge potential.

I‘d rather they first sort out whatever legal entanglement is keeping SWAT 4 from being rereleased. While most of SWAT 4 is fairly generic tactical shooter fare, it also contains two of the most disturbing, downright unsettling levels I‘ve ever played in any game.

I take it John Williams is son of Ken and Roberta and not the composer?

We'll know in a couple of days what will really happen. Let's just hope it is something good.

John Williams is Ken's brother, who was, I believe, something like the Marketing manager for Sierra. He is very much in the loop about things Sierra. He is more or less the go-to-guy for things about Sierra and its history.

It's kinda like saying, "Steven Spielberg - best known for producing Terra Nova, Pinky and the Brain, and Under the Dome."

"Coming this gamescom! From the critically acclaimed mastermind that brought you the "Transformers" saga, "Cowboys & Aliens" and "Super 8" comes this summer's most highly anticipated interactive movie event OF THE YEAR!"

1158838889-00.jpg

(If you haven't heard of this game, google it. Prepare to have your minds blown!)

John Williams is Ken's brother, who was, I believe, something like the Marketing manager for Sierra. He is very much in the loop about things Sierra. He is more or less the go-to-guy for things about Sierra and its history.

I believe he was credited as the "Company Historian" in the manuals for the Collection Series compilations that were issues in the 90's.  He also has some involvement with SierraGamers according to the main page there.

The sierra.com website should have at least thrown us a bone with a classic twinkle, sparkle, or fanfare.

The fact that it didn't, and moreover shows a slick 3D animation, makes me suspicious that they'll be doing any decent adventure game stuff.

Pulled that right out of my sphincter.