SpaceVenture News and Rumours

JamonBull

Well, folks! My Slashdot submission has turned "red" (upvoted to the highest visible status level) and is prominently listed in "popular" articles... but still hasn't crested front-page-dom.

I'm not sure what more my submission, "Space Quest Spiritual Successor Project, SpaceVenture" needs, but more up-votes can't hurt.

So, please do go to: http://slashdot.org/recent

... find the above-named article, and click the + next to it. Let's hope it goes up on the front page and brings on the Slashdot effect. Thanks!

Great new article from the folks over at Capsule Computers!

------

Space Quest Creators Reunite for New Game

Have you heard? An old adventure game developer is using Kickstarter to fund a brand new point-and-click adventure game!

Tim who? Double what? No, I’m talking about the Two Guys From Andromeda, creators of the classic Space Quest series of the eighties and nineties.

In case you haven’t donated to enough Kickstarter projects lately, Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe, the aforementioned Two Guys, have reunited and are asking for $500,000 before Tuesday June 12 to develop a new Space Quest game.

The guys are clearly passionate about the opportunity, and they already have a stellar cast of video game voice actors ready to participate: there’s Gary Owens, narrator from some previous SQ games;Robert Clotworthy (Jim Raynor from StarCraft 1 & 2); Ellen McLaine (GlaDOS and the turrets from Portal 1 & 2, The Administrator from Team Fortress 2); John Patrick Lowrie (Sniper from TF2, Sword Control from Halo: Reach); and Rob Paulsen (Pinky & The Brain, Animaniacs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Monkey Island).

At the time of writing, the project has already raised almost half of that amount, and with two more weeks to go, it’s likely the target will be reached. So go help them out on Kickstarter, where there’s a crazy amount of information on the project, as well as some rather generous pledge rewards.

And keep up to date with all things Space Quest at guysfromandromeda.com.

------

http://www.capsuleco...e-for-new-game/

Everything's good now, Spikey. And yes, Activision is watching the SpaceVenture to see how it turns out. What that means, no one but they know for sure.

Hmm, I think we know what it means. Any chance they have to sue, they'll take it. And if the game does well they'll try and make SQ7 on the cheap and without the Two Guys. Allegedly.

TechCrunch Article

------

The Authors of SpaceQuest are Back With Another Adventure

If you’re an older gamer, you will remember the holy trinity of Sierra RPGs – King’s Quest, Space Quest, and Police Quest. All three of these games used something called “imagination” and “storytelling” to immerse early gamers in an Ad Lib sound card-induced gaming coma.

Now you can re-live those heady days with a new game by the makers of Space Quest, Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe (aka “The Two Guys from Andromeda”). Their new game, called SpaceVenture, is a refresh of the old Sierra series and promises spills, chills, and horrible jokes. It’s getting funded onKickstarter as we speak.

The best part? They hired the original voice actors to spice up the game including Gary Owens, the voice of Space Ghost, and Ellen McLain who plays GlaDOS in Portal 1 and 2. Talk about your crossovers.

The game will cost $15 for early pledgers and runs on Macs, PCs, iOS, and Android. The $30 tier gets you beta access to the game and a soundtrack download.

The game is halfway to its goal with 15 days to go, so get pledging, space cadet.

Project Page

------

http://techcrunch.co...ther-adventure/

Man, I'm so glad these two POSITIVE articles came out on the heels of RPS's harsh criticism. Though, I do understand some of the annoyance and frustration John Walker was expressing; it was really difficult for us frequent KS comment thread denizens to keep morale up with a new written complaint nearly every day.

We're picking up backers and pledges at a pretty good clip today! I see it ending nearly a $10K day (prognostication, only; I don't truly have access to a timepod).

Here's hoping for a real media onslaught!!

My pleasure s_d! I won't be able to listen every day though because if they happen at the same time as the one today, I will be working. I feel we do need people to listen and summarise the main points though. So maybe someone else could do this during Chris's next live podcast?

Well, my point is that there is no way we can verify that he really contributed $1000.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's him, which is of course why I made the link earlier :)

Sorry to disappoint, but apparently someone got on Kickstarter pretending to be me. I just discovered this today.

That said, I did play the original Space Quest games years and years ago and loved them, but the person who posted on Kickstarter isn't me.

Sorry to disappoint, but apparently someone got on Kickstarter pretending to be me. I just discovered this today.

That said, I did play the original Space Quest games years and years ago and loved them, but the person who posted on Kickstarter isn't me.

Appreciate you setting things straight.

The prototypes have usually come out within 72h of hitting the target, but I don't know how far they are in development, so it's difficult to say with certainty. But if we assume Mondayish, prototype three could be out Wednesday-Thursdayish.

I don't think it's possible to be accurate even to within 24h. I suppose the thing to do is to sit tight and be patient. Difficult, I know. :)

Gamasutra article below! Good stuff! Warning: This is not the FULL Gamasutra article that was released on 01/06/2012. To read that please follow this link. It's too long to repost. http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/171021/the_20year_estrangement_of_the_.php

-----

How Space Quest's creative duo buried the hatchet after 20 years apart

Twenty years ago, game development duo Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe, having shipped four games in Sierra On-Line's Space Questseries, parted ways after a falling out. For many graphical adventure game fans, it was a premature ending to a partnership that should have told many more stories.

Recently, Murphy and Crowe -- affectionately known by their fans as The Two Guys From Andromeda -- set aside their differences and launched a Kickstarter campaign to make a brand new adventure game together.

"I realized years ago it was our partnership that made these games great, and it's something I haven't experienced in the last 15, 20 years since I've been away from Sierra," Crowe tells Gamasutra in ourexclusive interview.

"I realized how much I missed that… we’ve come full circle back to our original way of working together.”

The duo were gracious enough to describe to us the high pressure environment at Sierra in the early 90s that led to their split, admitting that they were "younger and less mature" then.

"Looking back, I realize I was a dick," Murphy tells us, laughing.

More on the reunion -- and what's next for the only two Andromedans on Earth -- is in today's Gamasutra cover story.

-----

http://www.gamasutra...years_apart.php