My SQ Horror Story - :( :( :(

David6858

Ruined!!! VIOLATED!!!

I have to relate a terrible story.

With this new SpaceVenture in the works I decided to check up on my ol' Space Quest boxes. A number of years ago, I decided to move them -- and some other items -- into storage.

I'm not really a "collector" of anything really, but for some reason I wanted to keep those boxes around but just had no place for them.

Well -- *sniff* -- I decided to check up on them last weekend and... it seems a pipe burst... and, like a laser it fired right into my SQ Boxes...DESTROYED NOTHING ELSE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6KjNmN2BA

My question to you folks, should I go on ebay and restock them...

...or should I up my pledge by the amount it would cost to stock them...

That was an original SQ1 box...

SQ4 survived... funny... my favourite game...

- David6858

I'd say up your pledge by the amount you're willing to pay. This will help fun SpaceVenture.

If SpaceVenture doesn't get funded, then you lose no money - and can, at that time, purchase SQ.

(Side note, I feel sorry - and you're taking it WAY better than I would. I have all my Sierra games in plastic bins, that are covered - often sold around Christmas time at Target - big bins).

I'm not taking it well at all ;). However, we must learn lessons from these events = cheap cardboard boxes...not the best way to store something in the long-term. I was able to save the front cover of the SQ1 box with minimal damage. I will unfortunately have to cut it out from the sides and back but after that (and some sort of disinfectant treatment to kill potential mold) I can probably frame it. Ah well.

Sorry to hear that, brother. I had to sell most of my SQ coll to come over to the US from Australia, and that was disheartening. Lost some mint boxes and hintbooks, let me tell you.

Thankfully we live in a digital age where eBay/Bonanza/etc are out there, and we can find mint ones again, even if we have to pay $$$ for 'em.

My question to you folks, should I go on ebay and restock them...

...or should I up my pledge by the amount it would cost to stock them...

With the new tiers, you can do both - support SpaceVenture and get download credit for the original games on GOG :y:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, dude... there's nothing like the boxes that were actually yours. I say ebay only if you want to go the display-case route. Otherwise, those were somebody else's big-box versions. Personally, I feel that if I were in that position, I would preserve the parts that can be saved, and see about getting Mark & Scott to sign them. Even damaged, a front cover from my own game box would mean more to me, especially personalized that way. Though, that is a big pledge.

Anyway, I intended more to give sympathy than advice, SQIV survival being the only occurrence to soften the blow.

s_d: ahahah. Well the good news is that the only box/cover that was destroyed beyond recognition was SQ3. Now, that isn't because I dislike SQ3, it is because that wasn't my box! (original destroyed years and years ago). I was able to salvage the covers of SQ1, SQ2 to the point I could say they are in "good" condition with some work although the boxes themselves are ... ummm... well... the only way to sterilize them would be to completely destroy said box. SQ4 (my favourite game) and SQ5 were undamaged.

I have since been able to replace SQ3 and all five covers are now encased in glass and -- assuming my house doesn't burn down -- are protected for posterity!

- David6858