New QfG style game in SCI

Collector

Looks great. I love Quest for Glory, so that should be my kind of game. Although I would like if it was in VGA. My favorite graphic style is VGA. When I play a kinda good game, and it's also in VGA, it makes me like it more. Except of that, overall, it looks really interesting. I'll download it when it comes out.

SQ3's art was of an earlier type. Made more like an AGI game's art would be. It's not bad, in fact it works quite well for the game. I love it. That's not to Mark Crowe's discredit either. It's just the way it was. Later SCI games started including more detail as thebart process evolved and artists started taking more advantages of the SCI engine's possibilities.

KQ4 was the worst contender, being the first SCI game. Especially the first version made alongside the AGI version. Google KQ4 V1.000.111. The backgrounds were quite different to the ones in the version included in the KQ collections.

I think SQ4EGA was designed as an EGA game, and Ken told them they needed to update it for VGA.. or something like that. I think there's an EGA version of the Space Quest IV title screen in the game resources, maybe it's the betas.

I'm inclined to believe that SQ4 also was originally supposed to use the text parser. Checking the resource files and finding the "VOCAB" resources which include nouns and adjectives for certain items in the game confirms this.

Scott had revealed at some point that he said Ken offered them the option to go with P&C or parser for SQ4. They chose parser but Ken later rescinded the choice and enforced P&C all around the board. It was always going to be a VGA game, though. The EGA version of SQ4 was an alternate version for those who didn't upgrade their computers for VGA support. It had converted graphics that were slightly reworked to not be just bad straight conversions. Same with all the EGA SCI1.0 games (KQ5, PQ3, SQ1VGA, LSL5, LSL1VGA, MUFT, etc). Before the days of the dithered hi-res EGA driver in SCI1.1 games.

The EGA version of SQ4 had alternate graphics entirely for all the backgrounds that had colour palette cycling enabled (title screen which resembles the SQ1 title screen, the time rip effect, etc). I think it was always meant to be a VGA game, though. Unless I'm wrong about that. But the difference here I think is that the P&C interface was enforced over parser rather than VGA over EGA (which the Two Guys were probably all for). The SCI1+ interpreter could have been more than able to support the parser interface, it was just never added in.

I'm pretty sure Brandon is right -- SQ4 was always meant to be a VGA game, because they wanted to do hand-painted, digitized backgrounds (like all the other Sierra games around that time).

However, I know Brandon is absolutely right about the parser/P-n-C controversy surrounding SQ4. SQ4 was supposed to be a parser game, but the icons were forced on Scott and Mark.