Piracy Amnesty Week

mjomble

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/235514

Brilliant move :)

I used to think of my pledge in terms of paying for the new game, plus a little extra to support the project.

Now I'm thinking of it as retroactively paying for the entire SQ series, from which I've never legally purchased a single game.

Pledge UP'D! :D

Excellent idea. Funny and positive.

but Glans Handerson is a masturbation joke, right?

I guess so! I'm ashamed to say I didn't get it until you posted, Gareth. They need more of that obtuse sort of humour to get us over the line, I think.

What comments are being made, BTW?

There are quite a few negative comments on the update page and in the YouTube comments. People feeling hurt either because they've always paid for the games, or because they feel entitled to pirate the games.

I didn't actually watch it till now. However, my gut feeling was that the people offended by this were seriously overreacting, and I can now see I was right.

I find it completely idiotic that anyone would ever perceive this as a serious attack. Even if it was, I can't see the major issue with it. If you feel hurt, then that's because you once did something that is a crime, even though copyright legislation may be archaic. The least you can do is to admit you've done it. Not throw the ball back to the guys who're making a joke at your expense.

You can definitely tell no one's making games that take the piss out of the player anymore.

If people have paid for the games, then it wasn't directed at them, so why feel bad? Of course I'm trying to ascribe logic to emotional reactions, which we all know is worthless :)

Even if you did pirate the games (which I can freely admit that I have on occasion though I own the GoG versions now), this certainly is a joke in keeping with the TGFA's style.

People feeling hurt either because they've always paid for the games,

I don't understand this. It wasn't directed at them. People just always want to make everything about them.

It's like seeing someone on TV saying "bullies should repent for what they did" and then take offense because, hey, you're not a bully, why does it say that on the TV channel YOU are watching? They should like say it on Bully channel.

I have to say, Frede, I completely agree with your final line. I loved Cabin in the Woods because it was a big "fuck you" to the audience. Every comment I heard coming out of the cinema was about how the ending sucked, yet it was a work of genius. Granted, Joss Wheddon could just sit on a wooden chair and flip the bird for 90 minutes and I'd pay £10 to go and see it.

In fact, this may be a better way for Scott Murphy to raise money.

You can definitely tell no one's making games that take the piss out of the player anymore.

What about Portal? :D

On topic: With a large enough audience, pretty much no matter what you do, someone's going to be offended by it (or usually, a misinterpretation of it).

yeah, that's really the thing here. There is always going to be some idiot "misinterpreting" things. I really think the key is not to get fired up about, and not start a biggering match with the individual.

For example the youtube comments. One guy makes a stupid comment. And suddenly 12 people is down on his throat and the whole comment section is about whether or not the video is offensive. It would be much more helpful to ignore him, or at least only dignify him with one or two responses. Chances are he is trolling anyway.

Instead try to steer the conversation away from negativity.

There are quite a few negative comments on the update page and in the YouTube comments. People feeling hurt either because they've always paid for the games, or because they feel entitled to pirate the games.

So here's my take - anyone offended, or - ESPECIALLY - who had their little feelings hurt by this video - CLEARLY does not get SpaceQuest. Or the humor of SpaceQuest. And is or was - more concerned about pirating games rather than actually playing them for what the games are.

You know, I have a very big heart - I am very compassionate - but some people make me want to punch them in the throat.

You know, I have a very big heart - I am very compassionate - but some people make me want to punch them in the throat.

Heading into illogical territory here ;) Noone posting something dumb on the internet is worth getting quite this angry over.

But yeah, it IS silly. And the whole thing is a joke, it's not like the Two Guys are even being serious about the whole thing, it's a gag, a jape, a JOKE!!

That's all the more reason we need to get this funded. Itis something that HAS been missing.