List of Space Quest Fan Games

Until recently, I've only known about two Space Quest fan games: Space Quest 0 (prequel) and The Lost Chapter (set between SQ2 and SQ3). Coming here from the SV Kickstarter campaign, I also found out about the SQ2 remake, Vohaul Strikes Back, and Incinerations (or whatever it's called). I'd like to know if there are any others out there, links to download them, and where they fit in the Space Quest universe chronologically. I like to play each series in order and I tend to shove fan-made games into my playthroughs in the order of events. And I am looking to do a Space Quest marathon soon, which includes these hidden gems.

Thanks for your nice words - glad you like the article :)

Be aware that I'm not covering every fangame. There are some old Klik & Play minigames out there that are nearly impossible to get to work on modern systems. There are also a number of larger fangames that use ripped resources rather than original material, but not covering those is a matter of principle for me...

There are also a number of larger fangames that use ripped resources rather than original material, but not covering those is a matter of principle for me...

Intriguing. Without going into detail (such as would lead to further IP violation), how much enjoyment will you admit to gaining from these illicit pleasures, Frede?

Yeah, somehow over the last four years or so I went from having no problem with ripped graphics to disliking the laziness of them. Which is weird because I STILL rip graphics occasionally, but I use it as a point of reference for how a walkcycle works or how something has been shaded to create a look that I enjoy because I don't know much about graphic design at all.

I think the ripped graphics also allow something to be put together quickly and encourages laziness with other steps, like writing and puzzle design from my experience playing these kinds of games. Dedicating a lot of time to animating characters and drawing backgrounds makes you look at the purpose you're making them for and I think encourages better design.

They can be good when used thematically, though, like Akril did in her 'Adventure' series, though.

I was about to mention Akril's series as well. Ripped graphics have their place depending on skill level or context (even I toyed around with ripped graphics ages ago.) It's a benefit of plagiarism: sometimes you have to toy around with the source material to get a feel for it before you can do something more. I don't mind as long as the intention is clear that a developer is only in "practice mode" and isn't trying to pass other people's work off as their own.

True. As far as I can tell, Akril made it work. With a title like "Adventure: All In the Game", there's more of a metaphysical angle to it. And the ripped stuff needs to be there for that concept to work. In that respect, I suppose you can do something creative with ripped resources, though most developers still seem to do it out of laziness or because of lacking abilities.

Hey, thanks for the mention in your article, Ferde! (Though in light of what you said about disliking fangames with ripped backgrounds and sprites, I'm a little puzzled why you gave my comic a shout-out when I used so many backgrounds from SQ6 in it, especially in the early days.)*

On the ripped art subject, I think a fair number of Sierra fangames use ripped/modified backgrounds and/or sprites -- heck, AGDI's first two KQ remakes used a modified version of Graham's KQ5 sprite. TLC and Replicated also have a tiny bit of modified/reused art. I certainly have no leg to stand on when it comes to reusing official art/music/etc.,** and though SQ4.5 wasn't a terrible game, the story and puzzles just weren't enough to draw my attention away from the large amount of reused sprites, backgrounds and locations.

A lot of old AGI fangames also use ripped graphics (heck, a lot of them just use modified sprites for the main characters, even when all the other art is original!), but some of them have a quaint sort of charm to them. I've played a game where Graham comes flying out of the sky on his seahorse and commands the protagonist to get meat for his steed (no, I'm not making this up), a game where Roger Wilco randomly runs through a hotel hallway and yells at the protagonist to get out of his way, and another game where the protagonist (an original sprite) can shapeshift into various AGI Sierra characters.

I'm also baffled by the "SQ:Inc doesn't follow SQ4.5 canon" complaint. What sort of logic was that person using? "If a fangame uses Sierra graphics/music then it's canon; if it doesn't, then it's not canon"??

*There are times I wish I had focused my creative energies on something other than that comic...but that's another bemoanment for another time.

**Though I do appreciate the comments. ^_^

I'm also baffled by the "SQ:Inc doesn't follow SQ4.5 canon" complaint. What sort of logic was that person using? "If a fangame uses Sierra graphics/music then it's canon; if it doesn't, then it's not canon"??

Well, I figured they meant that the plotlines contradicted one another (between Incinerations and SQ4.5) at some stage. I would imagine involving the time travell-y stuff. Though I've been extremely slack - haven't played SQ4.5 AND I'm only just playing through Incinerations now.

On another note, am I going crazy or did VSB have a TVTropes page? If so it seems to have been deleted..

Hey, thanks for the mention in your article, Ferde! (Though in light of what you said about disliking fangames with ripped backgrounds and sprites, I'm a little puzzled why you gave my comic a shout-out when I used so many backgrounds from SQ6 in it, especially in the early days.)

You're welcome, Akril! I think my last post may makes me appear a tad too hostile towards ripped resources. I'm mainly indignated about games like SQ4.5, though (I do have other reasons for hating it.) I always liked your comics, and while you did use SQ6 backgrounds, they were never the focal point. Roger and Xandra were. And again, WSSQUID made sure the wheels kept turning, even after SQ7 was cancelled. It deserves to be on a list of fan projects, especially because it's very easy to overlook now that there are so many completed fangames out there.

Well, I figured they meant that the plotlines contradicted one another (between Incinerations and SQ4.5) at some stage. I would imagine involving the time travell-y stuff. Though I've been extremely slack - haven't played SQ4.5 AND I'm only just playing through Incinerations now.

On another note, am I going crazy or did VSB have a TVTropes page? If so it seems to have been deleted..

I think that was the gist of it, yeah. Time travel stuff that makes the two games contradict each other.

I'm not sure we ever had a TVTropes page. Some of our voice actors discussed whether we would be able to get an IMDB page, so it's quite possible that one of them submitted some info for TVTropes...

Well, after seeing all the cool work from my fellow team members that went into VSB, I've been totally unable to respect the idea of someone wanting to "make a game" by using a resourcer viewer to steal stuff from existing games and stitching them together again with a bunch of possibly half-assed puzzles. I must admit, I don't really mind the legal issues. I'm mainly offended by the whole concept because it is incredibly lazy, and because it's completely screwed-up to design an adventure game by going "Well, this SQ6 screen has this hot spot..." Annoyingly, some fans don't seem to mind this; a while ago, Datadog told me that a fan complained about "Incinerations" ignoring SQ4.5 canon. Canon?! What canon? All this artwork and this music were made to be used in a different context. To claim that such a game has a spot in the canon is completely ridiculous.

Truth be told, I've never played any of these games, and I honestly don't intend to. The above reasoning keeps me from ever wanting to try them out.

If you ask me, Frede, these people do themselves in, and in effect clean up after themselves and the mess they 'create.' If anybody is willing to sit through these and enjoy them, and not squeal and squirm in pain at the sheer ludicrousness and sloppiness, I say, give 'em that. They won't get so much from the greater masses. They get out what little they put into it. Am I wrong? Or, have the majority of us become so desperate in these past 12 or so years? If so, hopefully the SpaceVenture will change all that. :)

I personally have no problem with people using ripped game assets...as long as the game itself is good. A good story and characters always trump things like graphics in my opinion. Maybe it's because I started out with Zork and the other IF games.

Okay, I admit it. While writing Pledge Quest, I ripped several letters -- and, on a few occasions, entire words -- from Infocom text adventures. ;)

Jess

Lol, this reminds me of how annoyed I became at one point in my recent past by an english faculty, who scribbled in red on my essay "Shades of Welty," before I had ever read a piece of Eudora in my entire life. I think it's ridiculous sometimes to the extent people will try to protect every single microscopic, generic or obvious idea (assuming it even classifies as a unique idea that wouldn't come naturally to anyone with a brainstem). :lol:

Still, some rips are more blatant and obvious than others, and it is those that become annoying. Trying to erase the association you have in your mind of a latex babe to make room for a Bond girl, or of a Ulence Flats local to make way for a stone-cold killer-captain can be difficult for some of us... 'purists.' :blush: