Replay Games drop Adventure Mob For Fusion Interactive

Monolith_Pig

So it appears that when Lowe Trowe & Co. visited the Adventure Mob offices in Tel Aviv last month they weren't totally impressed. I must admit I feel a bit sorry for Adventure Mob, but have faith in Al Lowe making the right choice.

The controversy with this is that the screens and animations that were previewed for Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded were all created by Adventure Mob. Lets hope that fans don't feel too short changed by this sudden U Turn from replay.

This new developer sounds pretty sh*t hot though in comparison to Adventure Mob so I'm sure they'll come up with something pretty special with the 600K raised. I hope so because I'm a backer!!!

Here's a link to the story from venture beat...

P.S. Read Michael Schwartz' comment....(hmmm :huh: )

http://venturebeat.c...oper-exclusive/

While it sucks that they dropped AA, it is kinda understandable, especially with Josh Mandel's explanation for doing so. Personally, as long as they do the franchise justice, I don't really mind. I pledged for a game writted by Josh and Al, not one being developed by any specific company.

Shouldn't this kind of quality assurance have already been made before using their artwork as concept and advertisement? Especially for the Kickstarter. It's like they just jumped at the chance to have something to show, even if they didn't totally sign off on the people behind it yet.

+1. Exactly what I've been thinking this week. People keep saying Adventure Mob had red flags.. as much as I love Josho infinity plus, this doesn't make sense. If the developer is risky why was the partnership even announced and they did prelim work for them.

Plus, they helped with the KS campaign and threw in personal funds too!

And as Pcj touched on, don't forget the big promotional Tel Aviv meeting last month or so. Something doesn't quite add up, although I'm not sure what.

I'm tired of all the drama surrounding this production. I've decided to just trust Josh (who is doing a good job communicating, in my opinion) and Al, and I will make my final judgement when the game is released. Paul is not involved in the making of the game itself, according to Josh. Hopefully the game is good and successful, and we'll get remakes of Larry 2 & 3. I don't regret pledging.

I'm not here to fuel any speculation, but it strikes me as oddly calculated that Josh would take the time to significantly downplay Trowe's involvement in the development of LSL1+. I have every confidence that Josh is speaking truth, but it seems as if even Replay knows their main figurehead's rambunctious "honesty" in the media is causing severe backlash for the company.

I don't think backers of LSL1+ should regret anything -- I applaud Trowe, Replay, Josh and Al for bringing back what we all know and love. The fact that they got this show on the road in the first place is commendable.

That said, I wonder what Adventure Mob's side of the story is.

That said, I wonder what Adventure Mob's side of the story is.

How long does the average non-disclosure agreement last? ;)

For what it's worth, I've interacted online with Josh many times over the past 15 years (as have many other members here), and he's always been a total class act. He's also someone who cares deeply about making good adventure games. If he says there were "red flags," I'm inclined to believe him.

I don't have anything to add about the uglier aspects of the whole controversy, but I did want to join others in casting a vote of confidence in Josh's role with the project.

Jess

I'm not here to fuel any speculation, but it strikes me as oddly calculated that Josh would take the time to significantly downplay Trowe's involvement in the development of LSL1+. I have every confidence that Josh is speaking truth, but it seems as if even Replay knows their main figurehead's rambunctious "honesty" in the media is causing severe backlash for the company.

I think the reason Josh said that was that someone commented on how they were worried about Paul working on the game. But yes, I think everyone can see that this isn't good PR for Replay.

I'm tired of all the drama surrounding this production. I've decided to just trust Josh (who is doing a good job communicating, in my opinion) and Al, and I will make my final judgement when the game is released. Paul is not involved in the making of the game itself, according to Josh. Hopefully the game is good and successful, and we'll get remakes of Larry 2 & 3. I don't regret pledging.

+1 this post. Especially the first line. I may not be a fan of Paul Trowe, but I am a fan of Al Lowe... so that's what I am focused on.

Vivendi was horrible to all things Sierra, but it doesn't make me hate the classics, just because of Vivendi.

Hopefully the game is good and successful, and we'll get remakes of Larry 2 & 3. I don't regret pledging.

Assuming the LSL1 remake is a success, has Replay announced its intention to move ahead with subsequent remakes as opposed to a completely original Larry game? I haven't followed the project terribly closely, so forgive my ignorance.

Jess

If he says there were "red flags," I'm inclined to believe him.

I don't think we need to look further beyond than this. Clearly they saw a need to move on from AM and any future games depend on this remake doing well. If they felt that their best options were to go with another developer, we should take their word on it. No need to invent conspiracy theories or start up the Paul Trowe accusations again.

Assuming the LSL1 remake is a success, has Replay announced its intention to move ahead with subsequent remakes as opposed to a completely original Larry game? I haven't followed the project terribly closely, so forgive my ignorance.

Jess

They've stated that the plan is to remake all of the Larry games (1-7) and then start coming out with new projects. That is, assuming LSL1:Reloaded is a success, of course.

Jess

Yes. Al stated that he especially looked forward to remaking Larry 2, he considers that the most flawed game. I would love to see it remade.

What the heck was wrong with LSL2? Oh wait, so it had some issues maybe, but its been too long since I played that game so I should zip it. Loved the game though. I agree that Josh always seemed cool and fairly straight forward in the past, was willing to communicate with me around the time of SQ:TLC and was willing to help once upon a time too. And though never had any communication with Al, always loved his games.

Vonster D Monster

I don't think we need to look further beyond than this. Clearly they saw a need to move on from AM and any future games depend on this remake doing well. If they felt that their best options were to go with another developer, we should take their word on it. No need to invent conspiracy theories or start up the Paul Trowe accusations again.

+1 Again.

As for future remakes... I'd love to see LSL2 and LSL3, because they were my favorites.

Well LSL4 was so awesome it blew my mind and I forgot most of how it went... but some floppies were missing...

Yeah, I post on Facebook calling myself "Josh Mandel's biggest fan", as opposed to Sierra's, or anyone else's ;) In no way was I trying to disparage or question his good name.

I just think the affair was handled poorly, because if it was as simple as AM taking too long, for god's sake JUST SAY IT and we can move on. Saying words along the line of "we had to dissolve the partnership because of issues" sounds just odd.

Anyway. I'm a KS pledger for LSL1. I don't regret it,and I'm not bringing Paul Trowe back into the mix, although I'm sure I legitimately could.. But the 'dream team' of Josh and Al working on a game should be worth pledging, whether it's Larry 8, Larry 1 remake remake, or anything else, really.

On a different note, I like the early bits of Larry 2, but not much else. A very negative and punishing game. How many of us died trying to escape the USS Love Tub, or whatever it was called. Oh wait, I got the toupee, but not the Gulp drink, so I died! Better restart the whole game.. ;)

LSL3 is my favourite of the series. Excited and worried both about that remake. LSL5-7 have to be improvements over the original, especially LSL5's puzzles and LSL6's plot development. I guess I felt like LSl games were a bell curve, with raking in this order: C->B->A->A->B->C (although to be more technical LSL2 and 7 are more like a C in my eyes, and LSL1VGA and 5 are more like B's).

LSL6's plot development.

Interestingly, I thought that was one of the strengths of LSL6: that it would forego the sometimes belabored plots of, say, LSL5, and just give us a giant environment to walk around and pick up chicks in. It was a return to form, much like LSL1, which also was pretty free-roaming.

I will admit to loving LSL2, though. In spite of its punishing nature. Yes, it's one of those games you will curse for ages because it forces you to reload save games all the time, wondering what little nugget you missed picking up. But once you're off on that boat, crossing your fingers that Larry won't get sick, burn to death or whatever else happens to him, and you finally get to the island ... man, what an accomplishment that was!

Okay, now I'm seriously derailing this thread. My apologies.