Deleted stuff in Space Quest I VGA

BlockMaster

I had a look through SQ1 VGA's resource files, and the only sprites I could find that (as far as I know) aren't used in the game are the chainsaw and incineration deaths. The "robot" is actually one of the turret guns on the Deltaur that kills you if you leave the screen the airlock is on, the various Sarien sprites are used for the Sariens that are inside the observation ports that the turret guns are mounted around, and the large heads are from the crowd scene in the outro.

It's interesting, though -- Roger isn't wearing his helmet in either of those death animations, and there aren't any versions of those animations that show him with his helmet. I also couldn't find any unique death messages (or graphics) that corresponded to either animation. This makes me think that either those animations really were scrapped, or there's some extremely well-hidden Easter egg in SQ1VGA that can only be triggered after Roger loses the helmet.

I'll post those animations to my page when I can. Nice work finding these, Blockmaster!

Thanks for supporting my research. :) I don't play the games as often as I talk about them, so there might be some mistakes. I don't remember of all that in-game but I belive you. The only things that really catched my attention were the extra deaths and deaths messages. Is there anything like that deaths in the EGA version? If so, that could explain that they thought they would recreate the deaths, but they changed their mind before the release.

Thanks for supporting my research. :) I don't play the games as often as I talk about them, so there might be some mistakes. I don't remember of all that in-game but I belive you.

You don't need to take my word for it -- there are a couple of videos on Youtube that show the two scenes that I mentioned:

Ending scene (starting at 1:07 -- this forum apparently can't process Youtube links that have the video begin at a time other than the start)

The only things that really catched my attention were the extra deaths and deaths messages. Is there anything like that deaths in the EGA version? If so, that could explain that they thought they would recreate the deaths, but they changed their mind before the release.

There doesn't seem to be a VGA equivalent to the SQ1 EGA death where Roger gets disintegrated by the robot droid after he loses his helmet. That burning animation could be a scrapped animation from that death, but it seems a bit unlikely, especially there doesn't seem to even be any text describing that death in SQ1 VGA's resources.

Also, both of those animations have been added to my site.

Or you could collaborate on the bit. No rules. :)

Bit of background: Episode 5 of the podcast (release date Dec. 11) is going to be about the debug modes, easter eggs and the juicy stuff hidden away in the game resource files.

I invited Blockmaster to talk about the stuff he's been digging up, and I'm going to talk in general about the debug modes in the AGI and SCI games (I'm hoping to have Scott in on this bit).

Let me know what you think.

I have already invited Blockmaster to talk about the hidden goodies on the SQH podcast. Akril, you wanna get in on the action?

Sure!

Also, is ATMachine still active anywhere? His site showcases some of the unused material he's found in many games (admittedly, most of them LucasArts) as well as a lot of lesser known versions of Sierra's games (Space Quest included).

Awesome! So, how do you guys wanna divide it up? I mean, I could set up some parameters, but if there's something you're dying to talk about, let me know and we'll take it from there.

Hmm...good question. Is there any particular outline for this show you had in mind?

Hmm...good question. Is there any particular outline for this show you had in mind?

Well, not much of a format yet. But there are three things I'd like to cover:

• What the jack the "debug" thing is in the first place, and what it was/can be used for.
  • The weird stuff you can find "legally" in the game, just by messing with the debug (or easter eggs). This would include the Ortegan time code in SQ4, the "ken" easter egg in SQ1EGA, the "cheat" easter egg in SQ2, the "suicide" death in LSL1EGA, and, yes, the "cum-guzzling gutter slut" easter egg in KQ2. (I wonder how I'm gonna get that past the Pope-Censor?)
  • The even weirder stuff that's hidden in the resource files, as you have been talking about in this thread. Stuff that you can't see unless you hack the game files or go spelunking with the resource viewer. That includes the "lawsuit room" in SQ4, the various deaths and close-ups that Akril has on her page, the Orion's Belt concept art on the KQ7 cd, etc.
That's pretty much what I wanted to cover with the episode. I'm actually teasing this one out, because I'm going to talk briefly about the "hidden voice files" (Roger reading the Hz So Good items; the weird-ass "blue frogs" line, etc.) in SQ4 for the opening of the next episode, and I could perhaps use that opportunity to tease about our grand "secrets" episode.

That sounds good. I've never really played around with debug mode that much, so I can't really contribute too much to that particular topic. I'm more than willing to talk at length about my delving into the games' resource files, though. We could talk about how easy it is to edit Sierra's AGI games (or possibly used to be, it's been a while since I've done it), how for some time there was no easy way to view the resources of SCI1-2 games until a few years ago, that sort of thing. I'm not an expert in hacking any any way, shape or form, so I'll probably spend a lot of time just saying things like, "Wow, this is interesting! I wonder what it is and where it was going to be put in the game."

Are we going to be talking mostly about Space Quest with a few other games mentioned on the side, or is it going to be a fairly equal mix of Sierra's various titles?

Also, if you need any more unused voice files, SQ6 has a lot of them:

http://www.akril15.com/sq6sounds/SecretSounds.html

Just to continue this, although a bit OT, Troels, I've been doing some detective work on SQ6 and the music in the game, why there's a lot of unused music in the game's resources, and so on. At some point I'll have something podcast worthy for you if you think that people will have an interest :)

(Maybe email or Facebook me about this one.)

On topic, I'd love to know where the "flaming Roger" sprite is used, if it is! The Deltaur sure has a lot of death possibilities on it.

That sounds good. I've never really played around with debug mode that much, so I can't really contribute too much to that particular topic. I'm more than willing to talk at length about my delving into the games' resource files, though. We could talk about how easy it is to edit Sierra's AGI games (or possibly used to be, it's been a while since I've done it), how for some time there was no easy way to view the resources of SCI1-2 games until a few years ago, that sort of thing. I'm not an expert in hacking any any way, shape or form, so I'll probably spend a lot of time just saying things like, "Wow, this is interesting! I wonder what it is and where it was going to be put in the game."

That sounds perfect, actually, 'cos that's exactly the angle I was going for: The most important thing is the cool stuff you can find; not so much how it got there (because we can only speculate on that, anyway).

Edit:

Okay, I neglected something here the first time around. Time to break out the Revisionism Machine.

I'm not sure how to divide it up between you and Blockmaster, because it sounds like you pretty much want to talk about the same thing.

Maybe I could get a certain illustrious Sierra employee or two to talk about the debug itself. Then I could talk about the easter eggs, and you and Blockmaster could talk about the hidden resource stuff.

Are we going to be talking mostly about Space Quest with a few other games mentioned on the side, or is it going to be a fairly equal mix of Sierra's various titles?

I'd like to keep it somewhat Space Quest-centric, but that doesn't mean you can't take any detours around the Sierra library along the way. If the starting- and ending-points are somewhere in the Space Quest department, then pretty much any detour you take along the way is fine with me (even non-Sierra games).

Also, if you need any more unused voice files, SQ6 has a lot of them:

http://www.akril15.c...cretSounds.html

Oh, this is perfect stuff! Now I'm spoiled as to whether I should do a two-part investigation (SQ4 for the coming episode; SQ6 for another), or if I should jumble them all together. In any case: Thanks so much!

Edited by Troels Pleimert

Just to continue this, although a bit OT, Troels, I've been doing some detective work on SQ6 and the music in the game, why there's a lot of unused music in the game's resources, and so on. At some point I'll have something podcast worthy for you if you think that people will have an interest :)

(Maybe email or Facebook me about this one.)

That would be great! And I don't care if people are interested; I know I am, and that's good enough. ;)

Would you be up for doing your bit for the same episode as Akril and Blockmaster (meaning deadline is Dec. 6)? Then we could turn the whole episode into one giant "secrets-fest". :)