Deleted stuff in Space Quest I VGA

BlockMaster

I would like to know how you did it. :) Maybe with that you can pass the maximum point limit.

Unfortunately you can't, when you attempt the "Skate-O-Rama" sequence, Roger's sprite changes to "cross-dress Wilco" and Ladies apparently don't Zero-G. HOWEVER, there is a way to snitch the ordinance successfully and keep those extra points ;)

I have a feeling that we should either keep the topic for this podcast confined just to "stuff we've found in the resource files" or break the podcast up into one block for debug mode discussion, one block for Easter Eggs and one block for resource file stuff. I was wondering whether having this podcast that focused on unused graphics and text while the next one focused on unused music and audio, but that probably wouldn't work, since a lot of unused material consists of both graphics and speech (SQ4 and 6, specifically).

Anyway, here's a short list of some of the stuff which I might touch on:

SQ1

-unused animation of a small droid, similar to pilot droid (from spacequest.net)

SQ2

-animation of unused pink slug-like creature (from spacequest.net)

SQ4

-Dacron Danny (from spacequest.net)

-room removed for legal reasons

-Roger reading the Hz. So Good catalog

-Roger's six-second scream (I may need to upload a copy of that)

SQ5

-video of person in front of a bluescreen in a StarCon uniform

-one of the names that didn't appear on the grading computer is "W. Beamish"

-unused Monty Python and the Holy Grail insults in Battle Cruiser

SQ6

-Roger's various button-pushing animations in the shuttle's cockpit all have crude labels written on them ("power on", "PTS", "launch", etc.), but the writing is hidden by the chair he's sitting in

-unused inventory items -- the handcuffs, the bundle of nerves, the paperclip piece wrapped in nerves, the rag, the pen (some of these have descriptions by the narrator as well as graphics)

-inexplicably omitted messages (descriptions of the fish, the moddie label, Nigel's grooming assistant, Roger's helmet full of enzymes)

I have a feeling that we should either keep the topic for this podcast confined just to "stuff we've found in the resource files" or break the podcast up into one block for debug mode discussion, one block for Easter Eggs and one block for resource file stuff.

You're absolutely right. I'm still working out how to attack this, but I think I'm getting a handle on it. I think it'll probably come down to who gets their stuff back to me first. ;) Let me give you a little bit of background.

The template for the podcast in general is broken up into four bits:

Bit 1: My "sermon" (kind of like the opening monologue on late night talkshows)

Bit 2: First guest spot

Bit 3: Second guest spot

Bit 4: Third guest spot

Bit 5: A question for the listeners; see you next time

The podcast on Dec. 11, which is the one we're shooting for here, has two guest spots open. (The third is taken up with Brandon and Ken Allen talking about SQ4 music.) But I've got bits in the wing for easter eggs (myself), the debug mode (myself, with input from Collector and hopefully Scott Murphy as well), game glitches (Alan Luckachina) and hidden SQ6 music (Spikey), in addition to the resource goodies (you/BlockMaster).

So this is starting to look like a two-parter very much, yes. ;)

Your list sounds really good! The only one I would think of maybe omitting is Roger reading the Hz So Good items, because, uh, I'm actually going to talk about hidden voice stuff in SQ4 for next episode's sermon. And I also use those for "commercial breaks" in the podcast. So it might be redundant. On the other hand, you could just bring it up to remind people.

The wildcard here is how you and BlockMaster would divide up talking about the resource goodies. I have no idea here. I'm inclined to just letting you slug it out with ol' Blocky over that. ;)

OK, I can definitely make Dec 6 or 11th. :) Will get back to you once I have more concrete stuff going on.

Thanks; that sounds great! Just FYI, the podcast going out on the Dec 11 is the one that has a submission deadline of Dec 6.

The podcast following that comes out Dec 25 and has a submission deadline of Dec 20.

I've already got some notes of things I'll touch on in addition to the SQ4 "walking zapped-dead" glitch and the extra points cheat, I can def have my stuff ready for the Dec 11th podcast! :D Again, it's an honor to be able to contribute! :D

Awesome; thanks! Again, the above deadlines apply. If you can't make the Dec 6 deadline, you can have until Dec 20 to get your stuff in.

Aw, you guys are great. :)

I found something else! I found these lines in the code : "Thank you for playing Space Quest I. You've been most entertaining." and "Thank you for playing Space Quest I. Too bad you've failed miserably and doomed all of your people to a horrible death at the hands of the Sariens. You quickly glance about the room to see if anyone saw your silly mistake. Better luck next time." :blink: Was it lines for a text parser plot, like space quest 2, instead of point and click? Strange. Could you tell me if these are in-game?

I also found an unused inventory object icon : http://www.flickr.com/photos/106016985@N05/10729332775/in/set-72157637093575225 The object looks like a chainsaw. Strange, but that would explain the strange chainsaw death. But really, Roger is dumb, but not so dumb as he would kill himself with a chainsaw. Seriously, sometime, I would like to ask a few questions to the Two Guys, like : "What's the bear that was removed from Space Quest III?" or : "What's the chainsaw death and item that were removed from Space Quest I VGA?", or even : "What's the magnet and handcuffs removed items in Space Quest VI?"

"Thank you for playing Space Quest I. You've been most entertaining." and "Thank you for playing Space Quest I. Too bad you've failed miserably and doomed all of your people to a horrible death at the hands of the Sariens. You quickly glance about the room to see if anyone saw your silly mistake. Better luck next time."

The second one is definitely in the game, I believe it's if you fail on the Deltaur.. Oh yeah, a linkie:

http://tmd.alienharmony.com/rw/sq1vga/8-9/e.htm

Looks like the first one is either a death noone's found yet, or more likely it's carried over from the AGI version and had no place in the remake. Maybe it was just a generic death message, unused?

All right -- I'll try to put together a discussion on Sierra's resource files (text or graphics only) that isn't too tedious. Is there a time limit you'd like me to stick to, Troels?

I'll also be sure to check out where that icon appears in the SQ1 VGA resource files when I can -- that might provide some insight as to what exactly it is. I don't recognize it myself, but it's been years since I've played SQ1 VGA.

EDIT: I looked through SQ1 VGA's resource files and figured out that that mystery icon is the gas grenade.

Looks like the first one is either a death noone's found yet, or more likely it's carried over from the AGI version and had no place in the remake. Maybe it was just a generic death message, unused?

Isn't the "you've been most entertaining" line from if you wander around the Keronian desert for too long? I can't find a screenshot right now (at work), but the death image is the blue mortician with two coffins surrounding him.

All right -- I'll try to put together a discussion on Sierra's resource files (text or graphics only) that isn't too tedious. Is there a time limit you'd like me to stick to, Troels?

Hey, Akril. BlockMaster DM'ed me yesterday to ask about what he should talk about. I suggested he get in touch with you, so you can divide up your efforts. You've both got excellent lists of things to talk about, but there is some overlap you might want to work out. I don't want to get in there and dictate what you have to say, but ... well, I could, if you wanted to.

As far as time limit, nah, go on for as long as you want. If you go for too long, I might split it up into several bits (like I did with Blackthorne). Intendant_S handed in a 7 minute mp3, which is probably where I'd cut off a segment, unless it's so scintillatingly interesting that I can't stop listening to it. Sexy voices help here.

(And this is coming from a guy who was railing viciously against misogyny earlier today ... yes, I am a man of many facets.)

I do not want to be mean, neither discouraging, but could you guys try to stay on the subject of this topic? I get lost here with all the different discussions and cetera. You should talk about the podcast in another topic. Troels, I started a private message with Akril about the podcast subject, like you said earlier. I'll start to work on the text that I'll use for the podcast. I'll send you it when it's done. :)

That being said, I don't want to cause any problems by constantly bringing up my podcast -- which I do realize I do too often, but there's just so much good stuff out there that would be perfect for it.

Feel free to branch this thread off into a separate thread, if you want to, MI.

For the record, though, I don't care if people know what the podcast is about or what's going to be in it. I consider it a teaser. It's not like forum readers are going to be reading our scripts or hearing our voices ahead of time. And, frankly, much of the stuff on the podcast is already public knowledge and "old news," so it's really the humor and presentation of the facts itself that I'm interested in. And also, like MI said, reaching beyond the confines of the SQ community (although I'm not kidding myself; I realize we're primarily preaching to the converted here).

It's all in good fun. :)

Hey, Akril. BlockMaster DM'ed me yesterday to ask about what he should talk about. I suggested he get in touch with you, so you can divide up your efforts. You've both got excellent lists of things to talk about, but there is some overlap you might want to work out. I don't want to get in there and dictate what you have to say, but ... well, I could, if you wanted to.

I just replied to Blockmaster, and I proposed keeping my segment confined mostly to discussing resource-viewing tools like AGI Studio, SCI Viewer, and the like, with only a small amount of time spent on discussing the sort of things I've found. I also suggested recording a rough version of this speech and sending it to Blockmaster, so that he could talk about whatever I didn't talk about (I could also delete topics that he wanted to talk about instead).

As far as time limit, nah, go on for as long as you want. If you go for too long, I might split it up into several bits (like I did with Blackthorne). Intendant_S handed in a 7 minute mp3, which is probably where I'd cut off a segment, unless it's so scintillatingly interesting that I can't stop listening to it. Sexy voices help here.

In that case, I may not be all that helpful...I'll still give it a try, though.

By the way, I updated my Flickr with other stuff that I don't know what it is. Please check it out, and tell me if they are in-game.

I think the frames showing the Deltaur breaking up are just that. A lot of 2D game animations are broken up into separate pieces, which allows for a lot more flexibility, especially when very large, complicated sequences are being scripted.

The animations of Roger without his helmet are played where he picks up the remote that controls the star generator's force field from the Sarien guard's body and turns off the force field.