"Space Quest: Roger Wilco and the Outer Edge of Earnon"

Johnathon

• 1 month later...

Wow, I couldn't find the link to the site. I am always on the mobile version, since I only view this forum and comment while on my phone. Just now switched to full view and saw your banner with link. This looks incredible. Just wanted to let you know that people viewing the mobile version of the forum might not see the link right away. Maybe you could post it in the body of your message as well when you update here.

• 5 months later...

August 12th, 2014

This is not an easy update for me to make. It is partly because of this that I have put it off for the past two months, some part of me fighting to see if the circumstances could have changed enough for me to not have to make it. But... here we are.

The game is not, I repeat, not necessarily cancelled.

Here is what's up:

This past summer, I acquired my first internship in the computer science program as a mobile app developer. I earnestly put in all the effort I could to excel and learn as much as possible. Nonetheless, I was asked not to come back for a second rotation, due to my inability to learn quickly enough and become productive enough to remain a worthwhile investment. This has caused me to question my abilities and the concern has led me to wanting to focus even more on my curriculum ahead.

I am also entering the higher junior-level courses of my major in computer science, and believe the road ahead for the next year and a half is going to be quite bumpy and filled with plenty of taxing responsibilities. I question whether or not attempting to hang on to production of the fan game would truly prove beneficial to either cause.

Also, one of my younger brothers unfortunately fell off a roof while working construction, broke his back in several places, and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition a couple weeks ago. He still has no feeling below his right knee and may never be able to walk again without a cane or other tool. He has also contracted a high fever of a cause currently unknown, and frequentyl suffers significant pain due to the damages. This has left me not in the best mood to continue developing on such a highly-spirited and humorous project, and I furthermore may be required to help aid in his rehabilitation.

I find it appropriate to put the adventure on indefinite hold for now. I need a little bit of a breather. I am saving all of the material and intend to finish it and release it; but I just don't know when that will be. Depending on how successful I am with graduation and attaining a good enough job to take care of all the top priorities in my life, I may or may not be able to pick up production again in another two years from now -- but there's also a good chance that if I do, I'll be keeping under the radar until it's completely finished (I've been disappointed with my lack of ability to keep to deadlines in the recent past, and I wouldn't feel good about continuing to let you guys keep on waiting and waiting anxiously expecting me to deliver on my promise.

Wish me luck. May the Outer Edge of Earnon be completed some day, and long live SpaceVenture!

- Johnathon

Sorry to hear about your life troubles. In my experience with game development it seems largely to be a challenge of mainly perseverance combined with just a smidge of ability. If you push through you should be able to complete it, it's just a matter of when.

Hopefully you will someday be able to finish your vision of the game. I look forward to seeing it get released eventually. Thanks for the update.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your sentiments, Troels.

And there's nothing more I hate than disappointing people (and aliens, sorry) who are waiting on SQ:OEOE

Just thought I'd mention now that after much, much consideration concerning the implementation of the adventure, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be using AGS.

I'm going to be using WinterMute Engine instead. AGS will not allow for some very vital effects and features that are integral to the Outer Edge of Earnon (one notable problem being the limit on backgrounds, rooms, and sprites).

I know it's not much news, but it shows that despite all the life setbacks and other priorities at play, I've still been putting much thought into the adventure and doing what I can to progress on it as I can.

• 2 months later...

It turns out I've changed my mind again.

I chose Wintermute on a whim based upon what I've heard of its greater flexibility over AGS; however, having completed my first course in game design and acquired more experience with C++, I've decided the best thing to do is to just make my own custom engine using the SDL library.

This way, I have complete control over every aspect, and the game will be portable to many platforms. I've already begun implementing and have thus far had great success. I know it's more work up front, but it should pay off in the long run.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Unfortunately, I have been incredibly swamped and haven't had the pleasure of working much on the project since last summer.

In good news, I have finally graduated with my BS in computer science...

In bad news, because I am currently under the gun with all my debts--about $400 deficit monthly--I wasn't able to justify the cost it would have taken to renew hosting for the website, so it went off-line two days ago...

This having been said, I have not given up on the project, and hope to figure out some hosting solution soon-even if it's a free service (or perhaps will just post updates here exclusively)

• 3 months later...

In good news, I have finally graduated with my BS in computer science...

In bad news, because I am currently under the gun with all my debts--about $400 deficit monthly--I wasn't able to justify the cost it would have taken to renew hosting for the website, so it went off-line two days ago...

This having been said, I have not given up on the project, and hope to figure out some hosting solution soon-even if it's a free service (or perhaps will just post updates here exclusively)

Congratulations on your graduation!  Do you have a donations link/site so we can help with the hosting?  I would definitely like to help keep this project alive!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...