Space Quest on Android

Bowz

I just discovered this in Google Play, you can download a ScummVM emulator, to play all the Lucas Arts games. But there is a plugin for SCI and AGI games, I loaded it up and copied Space Quest 4 to my phone, it runs really well!! I have a flight tonight and most of my time will be spent playing SQ. I don't know if this is old news or not, it's news to me :D!

ScummVM on Android is great though of course has been tweeked compared to desktop versions. basically you have the choice to move a mouse around and then click (or hold-click for right-click simulation) which makes it easier to pin-point things (pixel-hunting anyone?) or direct tapping. The speed, scaling, and playability are all perfect in my opinion, that coming from beating BASS on it.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if anyone's interested about this anymone, but I recently purchased highly tweaked version of DosBox called DosBox Turbo for my Android tablet and I have to say it's thus far tthe best Android port of Dosbox out there. You can use absolute mouse positioning, though still experimental, on it, which makes playing point and click games pretty fun. I even managed to get Gabriel Knight working on it.

In comparision to other Dosbox ports for Android Turbo works very fast. Here's a Youtube video showing speed difference between different ports using Doom:

It's still not as easy to set up as ScummVM, so be prepared to tweaking autoexec files manually. It's a hassle, but it you've been looking for acutally working, good port of DosBox, then Turbo is pretty much the best choice.

This post has been promoted to an article

• 1 month later...

I just got an Android phone myself, and getting ScummVM on it was one of the first things I did. It really does run surprisingly well, at least for the moused games - although as always, the touch screen is a poor substitute for a real mouse IMHO. The direct-mapping option (where the pointer moves to the spot where you touch) *would* be awesome on a tablet, but on a smartphone screen, hotspots are usually too small for a big, meaty finger like mine to hit them accurately. :P And there's no zoom function to solve this, either.

As for the non-moused games, I've been having a problem that many other Android users have also been having. ScummVM, by default, uses a 'predictive typing' interface not unlike an old-school cell phone keypad. It's possible to bring up your device's virtual keyboard to type commands that way...except that the Android port of ScummVM requires you to hold down the MENU button to bring it up while the app is running. Problem is, many Android devices (like mine) won't let you do this - holding down the button is mapped to system functions. So far, the guys making the Android port have yet to offer an option to fix this beyond basically saying "set up your own exterior macro to bring up the keyboard", which is a rather half-assed way to do it IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, that's reallly awesome. ScummVM really would be the way to run SQ on a phone, I think, because then the program would be native to the OS and hardware, and mearly loading the game data files. This would probably give a smoother and more responsive experience. Is there ScummVM or an AGI or SCI interpreter for Pocket PC? Typing this on a 2003 Pocket PC right now, stylus and all! :)

• 4 months later...