How to get the SpaceVenture demo

pcj

Kind of defeats the purpose of the backer rewards I think. It would be unfair to the other backers.

Yeah... I understand :(

I think a couple of screenshots are different from getting to play a whole demo though...

I don't think they want anything from an alpha build circulating the net and possibly garnering bad reviews and impressions on unfinished content. Gives the wrong idea.

Mm... well, anyone who is interested in the game and knows the demo has been released is now looking through these forums

and reading tons and tons of negative comments about how the swiping and all that isn't working and aren't real puzzles...

If you look at just the demo section of the forums, there have been over 2,500 views already, with many guests coming through.

Remember, those of us who want the game but can't get the demo are just able to read comments, so it's looking pretty negative right now.

The positives mentioned a couple of times have been the music and how good the graphics are...

So maybe it would be nice to show some good screenshots to sooth the fears of those

of us who can't play the demo and to show that there are some positives :)

The positives mentioned a couple of times have been the music and how good the graphics are...

So maybe it would be nice to show some good screenshots to sooth the fears of those

of us who can't play the demo and to show that there are some positives :)

You just need to take our word from it: the game looks great and sounds even better :D

But yeah, it still got issues and that's why it's a good thing that this version of the demo is still closed alpha. Releasing this would be much more worse than letting people get frustrated by it, as it is still technically quite broken. These are still things that can be ironed out at this phase of development, so there's nothign deal breaking going on, not yet at least.

You just need to take our word from it: the game looks great and sounds even better :D

:lol: Dang! My Jedi mind tricks are a bit rusty today (my message board inbox is always open to stray screenshots though :ph34r: )

But yeah, it still got issues and that's why it's a good thing that this version of the demo is still closed alpha. Releasing this would be much more worse than letting people get frustrated by it, as it is still technically quite broken. These are still things that can be ironed out at this phase of development, so there's nothign deal breaking going on, not yet at least.

Yeah, this demo release seems to be more of a bug-fixing crowd-source operation than an actual demo release really?

Or people seem to be treating it as such, by just giving details of bugs they find... I'm not seeing a lot of opinion about anything else other than

"I have 50 Rooter heads" etc.

The vision in my head of it at the moment is just of a maze of crates and toilet rolls and Rooter heads multiplying into infinity.

We're actually aware of a lot of the bugs, but this release is more of a "let's show the backers part of what we have and get as much feedback as possible to affect future decisions and priorities". Any new bugs people happen to discover are nice to know about, however. After all, isn't any software release "bug-finding crowd-sourcing"? ;)

Yeah, this demo release seems to be more of a bug-fixing crowd-source operation than an actual demo release really?

Or people seem to be treating it as such, by just giving details of bugs they find... I'm not seeing a lot of opinion about anything else other than

"I have 50 Rooter heads" etc.

I started out with bug reports thinking that this demo is destined for public release eventually, and so it's good for the team to know what bugs are actually affecting people before it gets out to a much more critical public. Now that I've documented the bugs ran into with my first play session, I can move on to point out that this demo looks really promising for the future full release.

* advanced in cross-platform support already -- no linux-specific problems, and didn't notice Mac users complaining either

* graphics are impressive, Mark made the jump from 2D tools to 3D tools quite successfully

* animation is really impressive, looks AAA quality at an Indie budget (don't count the bugs, AAA alphas can have bugs too)

* rooter game mechanics offer intriguing possibilities, far beyond what would be put into a little demo

* 50 rooter heads are awesome! They should totally keep that in the final game

Can't gush about the sound, since I was playing without speakers last night. Another time for that.

After all, isn't any software release "bug-finding crowd-sourcing"? ;)

For sure, I didn't mean it disparagingly at all, that is one of the beautiful parts about being able to let backers test things out!

I think it just wasn't presented like that initially, but has organically morphed into that as people discover bugs and

want to let you guys know... so it's been less about checking out the game and more fixing stuff for now...

But they are very nice looking toilet rolls and infinitve Rooter heads.

:lol: I have mentally updated the picture, thanks

I think it just wasn't presented like that initially, but has organically morphed into that as people discover bugs and

want to let you guys know... so it's been less about checking out the game and more fixing stuff for now...

Hard to say that it's MORE about fixing stuff, because I expect this has been soothing the nerves of a lot of nervous backers who have been wanting proof of progress for months now. Now that they see it, they want to report any issues and hear assurance that they will be fixed, knowing the final release will be even more awesome.

Hard to say that it's MORE about fixing stuff, because I expect this has been soothing the nerves of a lot of nervous backers who have been wanting proof of progress for months now. Now that they see it, they want to report any issues and hear assurance that they will be fixed, knowing the final release will be even more awesome.

Exactly. In no way should people take this demo as a crystal ball look into how the final game will appear. It is, as togamario said, to reassure backers that The Two Guys weren't just blowing the Kickstarter dough on Andromedan hookers and space weed -- and also to give fans, who have only seen vague screenshots up until this point, a taste of how the style of the backgrounds, characters and such mesh together. (There was a huge discussion in the main Andromedan Spaceport forum about "the style of the game" that raised concerns about how the game was looking like "Team Fortress in space" -- those concerns have hopefully been run into the ground now. ;) )

All things considered, maybe the demo feedback subforum should have been visible only to testers.

We need to start mentioning the words "alpha," "pre-beta" and "not final" a lot more. ;)

I'm seeing people here calling the demo a "beta." Shudder! This is barely even an alpha, guys. It's an alpha embryo.

Dare we say...prototype? :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just had a look! Looks FN AWESOME! When is due date?

Hey, man. I'm sorry no one has gotten back to you. Only just saw this message now.

Due to difficulties in the programming (please see the Kickstarter updates for more info), the team is not comfortable setting a firm release date until stuff has been sorted out. I hope you understand this is not for lack of wanting to.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...