BlockMaster

Have you ever seen this before?

Posted Image

This is an unused background hidden in the folder of, belive it or not, King's Quest VII! Nobody knows what this was supposed to be used for, but it's still an interesting fact. Maybe it was a plan for an easter egg in King's Quest, like a portal that leads you to Space Quest. Who knows? Anyway, just something I found that I thought I would share. Please, reply and tell me what are your thoughts about this.

Yes. :) We've had years to find this stuff. I think the only thing nobody found for a long time was an easter egg from SQ4. I remember an original developer of SQ4 came out of the woodwork and told us about an easter egg that nobody found. It is accessed in the underground lab on Xenon in SQXII by clicking the buckazoid coin (I think) on the top or bottom right of the screen at a certain point. Not sure if it's before or after you play the message from Prof Lloyd or not. Anyway, a screen comes up with a picture about this particular developer talking about a vacation he took or something. I tested it and it worked! I can't remember where he posted that if it was on these forums or somewhere else.

Never know, though. There might be something that nobody has found yet...

It is extremely common to find resources from other games in the SCI games. No mystery about it. Sierra probably used existing contemporary games as a sort of template for new games after stripping out or replacing most of the game's resources. You also can commonly find concept or development resources left overs. It would have been a fairly easy thing to have a tool that could have checked the scripts against the resource map for unused resources to strip out of the game's archive. Akril has a number of examples of unused resources on her site.

Edit, MI, I have seen that PIC in the game's resources.

It's quite hard to find something new. <_ you guys already found all in space quest i just a newbie compared to you.>

Yeah, some of us have taken it to the next level already and started putting secret stuff in fangames that hasn't been found yet. ;)

It is extremely common to find resources from other games in the SCI games. No mystery about it. Sierra probably used existing contemporary games as a sort of template for new games after stripping out or replacing most of the game's resources. You also can commonly find concept or development resources left overs. It would have been a fairly easy thing to have a tool that could have checked the scripts against the resource map for unused resources to strip out of the game's archive. Akril has a number of examples of unused resources on her site.

Edit, MI, I have seen that PIC in the game's resources.

Only thing about this statement, Collector, is that KQ7 *predates* SQ6. I think what this image really shows us is that SQ6 was in dev for a LONG time and that the art style was originally going to be much more 2D, but due to the long time between the game's start and release, things changed a lot.

I kinda think BlockMaster's idea that this would be a KQ7 in-game easter egg is a fun one, though. And certainly not TOTALLY out of the realms of possibility (although I doubt it).

There is a lot of overlap in Sierra's games from around this time. The temple interior in KQ7 appears in Torin's Passage's resource files (only much larger than it is in KQ7), a frame from one of the movies in GK2 appears in Phantasmagoria's resource files, a death animation from LSL6 shows up in SQ6...seems like graphics-wise, there was a whole lot of intermingling going on.