It's official: The Two Guys from Andromeda are back

Maybe Jess should hold auditions for someone to take over and run the Virtual Broomcloset. I was going to write "put that broomcloset in some sort of order," but then I realized how apt it is that it's sort of a kitchen sink of facts, fan-games, interviews and odd original material. That was the charm of the old Broomcloset. It was more than just a fact-oriented fan site. Not that I'm knocking SQ.net or anything ... oh, uh. I can see I'm painting myself into a corner here.

Amazing news for Space Quest fans everywhere....

Jess

Oh, hi, old friend! :) Good to see you again!

Then in that case, I'll have to get Jess to update it so I can re-open it

Cool if the VB'll have new address - virtualbroomcloset.com or sorta it. For easy access.

What do you guys think about this? I could register this domain name within the second. Wouldn't cost much anyway so I don't mind paying for it :)

Maybe Jess should hold auditions for someone to take over and run the Virtual Broomcloset.

Ideally, I'd like to switch over the entire site to some sort of content-management software (Wordpress?), and have easy blog-style updating (with multiple authors?) for the latest news. It turns out, however, that my HTML and design skills have suffered serious atrophy in the past few years. You should have seen me struggling this morning to recall how to add a title to webpage.

That said, there's a splash page at the Broomcloset (so 1997!) announcing the big news. I hope to follow up with something more substantial (and more stylish) soon. In the meantime, the next round of Andromedan ale is on me!

Jess

What do you guys think about this? I could register this domain name within the second. Wouldn't cost much anyway so I don't mind paying for it

Up to Jess IMO, it's his site to let go of or pursue as he wishes.

(But a better URL to get there would be nice)

Maybe Jess should hold auditions for someone to take over and run the Virtual Broomcloset.

Ideally, I'd like to switch over the entire site to some sort of content-management software (Wordpress?), and have easy blog-style updating (with multiple authors?) for the latest news. It turns out, however, that my HTML and design skills have suffered serious atrophy in the past few years. You should have seen me struggling this morning to recall how to add a title to webpage.

Drupal is also pretty nice.

Ooh, multiple authors. It'd be like the old days, except I wouldn't have to send you poorly formatted Microsoft Word documents. :)

I think Wordpress would be ideal for a community/staff-driven Broomcloset. As it happens, I have some experience building custom Wordpress themes. Actually, that's one of the things I get paid for nowadays. The downside is that they pay me so well (cough) that I barely have time for any of the million things I want to do in my spare time. So I don't think I could find the time to do it on my own - sad to say; otherwise I would have done so, gladly, pro bono, with a boner, and everything.

But I'd love to pitch in with a redesign/re-imagining of the Broomcloset in any way I can. The Virtual Broomcloset - Web 2.0 Edition.

Space Quest 1 was the first game I ever played, and it is still responsible for my love of adventure games. A new adventure game from Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, a new Wasteland, the return of Al Lowe and Jane Jensen, and now the best news of all, the Two Guys re-teaming. This must be what the Mayans were speaking of.

Also, Space Quest 4 is my favorite in the series, so the addition of Gary Owens just makes this even better :) I'm not sure the universe can handle this much awesome.

I can easily see how the latest news could change our little community for the better (would be a first, wouldn't it? :)) I'd love to get my act together and start working on a new release for SQN. Then again, I'd probably never get around doing it. I mean, I'm not a teenager anymore and SQN is about as big as a website can get! More so when considering all the modern requirements / demands to make a top notch website. To pull it off within the next quarter - or probably more realistic within 6 months - I'd probably need an entire team and complete sleep deprivation. Reading other people's ideas here (and I admit I've been toying with similar thoughts today), I agree that nowadays there are tons of concepts that should be implemented in a new website / updated SQN / VBC.

My real point is that I'm thinking - perhaps - this is a good opportunity to take some time together and reflect. What immediately comes to mind is that our community has never really prospered from two different message boards anyway. I'm guessing lots of people here are dying to get at least something back on track?

Hell, I myself have been seriously considering the idea of applying for a job at the Two Guys. I'm kinda looking for a reason to bail out of the life I'm having right now. You know I used to be dreaming about this sort of stuff. But anyway, back to reality! Wages have to be paid in full at the end of the month and my own mortgage won't take no for an answer either.

Looking forward to reading your criticism.

I am literally wetting myself with excitement at the prospect of a revitalized Broomcloset, powered by the wet, fertile minds of Space Quest die-hards. The thought of merging SQN and VB into a singular, powerful entity sounds like just the sort of thing that could really kick-start the fan environment all over again.

I've started a separate thread about what we could do with the Broomcloset relaunch. I know I'm off on the wrong foot showing graphics right from the start; I just got excited and went with the imagination first.

Right, I'd better get some sleep. It's been a fun first day in the new Andromedan year. Thank you everyone for your continued enthusiasm! I can't wait to see where this will all lead us. The good times are back, oh yeah! :)

Troels --

Sort of curious about Scott writing you to debunk all of the "Replay Games hinting" at various other franchises... Did you get the impression that Scott felt Replay was sort of was exploiting the SQ fanbase by dropping vague hints?

Not about the pull the plug on my own support of the Larry Kickstarter, but I would be a tad disappointed if they were just dropping names for no real reason... Guess a lot of stuff is probably up in the air..

They may have already been considering getting together on their own because the SQ fangames (which they mentioned as part of their motivation for their comeback) were released in the beginning of the year, whereas the Double Fine Kickstarter that seemed to get Replay and Al Lowe moving (via their DICE encounter) was a bit later. Also, according to Troels, this dialogue between Scott and Mark has been within "the last couple months".

On the other hand, Replay got the LSL license back in October, so they may have mentioned it to Mark/Scott previously and it all built up.

Either way, adventure games are back. Which is amazing.

Here's an interesting clue -- which may or may not even have correct dates..

A list of all of the "admin" posts on their page, would make it seem like the sites been in development well over a year -- or it's funky wordpress dating..

http://guysfromandromeda.com/author/admin/

Edit -- I have no clue how wordpress works... So this assumption seems to likely be wrong / made-up-date related.