It's official: The Two Guys from Andromeda are back

A certain someone told me recently that you can pretty much just stick the legend next to any old thing, without having to register it anywhere. It's basically more a deterrent than an actual REGISTERED trademark (which is the ® symbol). Which means that, MAYBE (my understanding of legal issues is very limite), the name "Roger Wilco" isn't really protected by anyone anywhere; only the "Space Quest" name is.

Having said that, it wouldn't be feasible to just continue making a "Roger Wilco" game and just leaving out the Space Quest name from the equation. One, someone raised the very interesting point about "derivative works" (MusicallyInspired, I think - sorry, my memory is shot). Two, Activision would almost certainly smell blood and go for broke if The Two Guys tried anything like that.

Which is a shame, because if it were up to me, they could just happily keep "Spaceventure" as the new series name. If Roger Wilco is a character in it, I don't give a snot what the game is called.

A certain someone told me recently that you can pretty much just stick the legend next to any old thing, without having to register it anywhere. It's basically more a deterrent than an actual REGISTERED trademark (which is the ® symbol). Which means that, MAYBE (my understanding of legal issues is very limite), the name "Roger Wilco" isn't really protected by anyone anywhere; only the "Space Quest" name is.

I'm not going to dispute that because I am no lawyer, but I thought that was copyrighting rather than trade marking. But this could be different on different sides of the pond/channel/North Sea/Kiel canal.

Which is a shame, because if it were up to me, they could just happily keep "Spaceventure" as the new series name. If Roger Wilco is a character in it, I don't give a snot what the game is called.

Heh. I agree. However as I've said elsewhere, I do like the idea of a new universe to explore. Though it would be sweet if, as hinted at in the podcast, they did managed to sort out the rights to make SQ in the future and the two universes married up in some way.

Guys, I can clarify:

I'll only speak on what I know for sure (the rest I learned within the last few months but just don't remember for certain).

A work is techincally considered copyright simply by the autrhor writing the C with the circle around it, on his/her work (though this does no good if there is an infringement case (authors are advised to have their works registered so that if there is an infringement claim, the process is easy).

Same goes for TM (TM is not register with the USPTO, yet simply for a person to use it indicates his/her intent to consider said design his/her trademark. It is best to register trademarks to avoid issues when claiming a dispute for infringement.

One may wonder what is the point of not registering, when the government will not gaurantee to stand behind you if you haven't registered through their systems (otherwise, think about it, it's your word against theirs); but it does seem to help deter those who are not educated on the matter.

Now, the stuff i can't claim I remember perfectly accurately: patents expire after 20 years, to avoid uncontrolled monopoly; yet extensions can be filed in some caes (patents don't apply to these adventure games, as far as I know (just trademakrs and copyright).

I don't believe that trademakrs expire, yet it seems Roger Wilco was never a "registered" one.

Guys, I can clarify:

I'll only speak on what I know for sure (the rest I learned within the last few months but just don't remember for certain).

A work is techincally considered copyright simply by the autrhor writing the C with the circle around it, on his/her work (though this does no good if there is an infringement case (authors are advised to have their works registered so that if there is an infringement claim, the process is easy).

Same goes for TM (TM is not register with the USPTO, yet simply for a person to use it indicates his/her intent to consider said design his/her trademark. It is best to register trademarks to avoid issues when claiming a dispute for infringement.

One may wonder what is the point of not registering, when the government will not gaurantee to stand behind you if you haven't registered through their systems (otherwise, think about it, it's your word against theirs); but it does seem to help deter those who are not educated on the matter.

Now, the stuff i can't claim I remember perfectly accurately: patents expire after 20 years, to avoid uncontrolled monopoly; yet extensions can be filed in some caes (patents don't apply to these adventure games, as far as I know (just trademakrs and copyright).

I don't believe that trademakrs expire, yet it seems Roger Wilco was never a "registered" one.

Thanks for the clarification, Johnathon!

But, again, what's stopping The Two Guys from just carrying on the Wilco legend under a different banner is that it would almost certainly be like waving a bloodsoaked cloth in front of a rabidly hungry wolverine. A wolverine named Activision.

I guess maybe they're not wanting to step on any toes, legality or no. Chris did say in the podcast they were very careful about that when creating 2GFA as a company. I for one, however, am happy they are trying something new. Space Quest had a good run even if they never get the rights back, but I am quite interested in what else they can conjur up in those demented minds of theirs lol.

Agreed, and it may also be worth mentioning that in the case of Sierra (now Activision holding the copyrights to the games), the Space Quest Series has been very well-published, distributed, and documented over the last 26 years, and so it is arguable that a registration of the trademark through the USPTO would not be necessary for Activision to win any court case regarding the matter. It simply isn't "guaranteed" that they would.

This is just plain awesome. We need everyone to get aboard and bring back the classics. If they could wrest LSL and SQ from the hands of big software, we can do it for the other beloved franchises and relive the glory days in startling HD!

This is wonderful, and I'm just amazed that the Two Guys are back. I always thought they never really would, but it is amazing that they did.

P.S. Why was my old account deleted?

Till next time stay cool