Space Quest Superfan Hangout to promote the SpaceVenture

Hey gang!

You may have seen this already on the front page, but -- just in case -- I wanted to invited everyone to join us tonight (Friday, June 1) at 8:00 PM Eastern time for the Space Quest Superfan Hangout. Basically, a group of diehard Space Quest fans are getting together to play our favorite games from the series and stream the results live. The goal? Rally support for the SpaceVenture, of course!

More details are available here, with the highlights copied and pasted below.

Space Quest fans from all over the world will join together in a group Hangout, screenshare their favorite Space Quest game, and play the games as they chat and talk about the good ol' times.

A host of community veterans will be attending, including Jess Morrissette (founder of The Virtual Broomcloset), Frederik Olsen (one of the project leaders on +Vohaul Strikes Back) and hosted by myself, Troels Pleimert (The Space Quest Historian).

You can watch the Hangout streaming live on YouTube, and the event will be recorded for posterity so you can view it later. Check back here for details!

The link for the live stream is on its way. Won't you join us tonight? And spread the word?

Jess

I'll admit, I ended up not really playing much, but Scott turning up was huge. More than often, I found myself not being able to concentrate on the games because I wanted to hear the stories he told. This guy really knows how to tell an anecdote, and there must be a ton of laughs in that video. Probably one of the funniest things I've ever participated in, and well worth losing a night's sleep over. You guys make for some hilarious company, and I'd be very willing to do it again sometime.

As an observer watching the recorded stream, i have to admit i was a little worried that when scott showed up it would turn into fanboy gushing and he would end up regretting it, but much to my satisfaction you guys were all super chill and scott really seemed to genuinely enjoy it. Seemed like he had just as much fun as you guys, if not more, and he seemed really touched by it all. and that was really cool to see. Really awesome stuff. Cool night in space quest history

edit - i could see something like this going viral and when people see how fuckin' cool scott is it could really help the pledges

Absolutely. If someone could edit together some highlights, that'd be great for that purpose. I see the Hangout had quite a few followers on YouTube, which surprised me, but four hours is probably too extreme for all but the die-hards.

It didn't feel like four hours, though. It wasn't till daylight started streaming in at around four in the morning that I realised where this was going. We even went on for a bit after the YouTube stream had reached its time limit. It was 7 AM here when I left, so I've hardly slept!

Bloody 'ell, I really gotta get me a mic :)

Did not expect this thing to turn out so awesome. Also did not expect to be awake when it started.

Will try to join in properly next time.

A highlights compilation would be awesome, but quite a lot of work.

For those interested, around 56:07 is where Scott joins.

We could just extract highlights and upload them as individual files, like "Superfan Hangout: Scott talks about getting in Jane Jensen's face," or, "Superfan Hangout: Troels makes an idiot of himself again." That way, it didn't have to be ONE compiled file, and we could add more as we please whenever we want.

As an observer watching the recorded stream, i have to admit i was a little worried that when scott showed up it would turn into fanboy gushing and he would end up regretting it, but much to my satisfaction you guys were all super chill and scott really seemed to genuinely enjoy it. Seemed like he had just as much fun as you guys, if not more, and he seemed really touched by it all. and that was really cool to see. Really awesome stuff. Cool night in space quest history

edit - i could see something like this going viral and when people see how fuckin' cool scott is it could really help the pledges

Totally. I've been trying to push it a little bit. I think it really shows what an awesome guy Scott is.

I'll admit, I ended up not really playing much, but Scott turning up was huge. More than often, I found myself not being able to concentrate on the games because I wanted to hear the stories he told. This guy really knows how to tell an anecdote, and there must be a ton of laughs in that video. Probably one of the funniest things I've ever participated in, and well worth losing a night's sleep over. You guys make for some hilarious company, and I'd be very willing to do it again sometime.

Yep, I lost all focus on the games too after Scott showed up. That was when I shifted into total fanboy mode. ;)

Jess

Can we do fangames next time? :D

I call anything but Lost Chapter!

This get-together was an amazing experience for me. Talking to Scott Murphy, one of my favorite game designers, was a highlight of my life. He is the nicest guy, and he still has that wicked sense of humor. His stories about working at Sierra, hidden things he put in games, parser vs. point/click; everything he discussed was fascinating.

Thank you so much, Scott!

Scott's a great guy, and I'm sorry I didn't converse more with him. But Troels was on a roll, I didn't want to interrupt him... ;)

Yeah, I'm very sorry I cut you guys off so much. I was trying to avoid dead air for the YouTube watchers, but I may have inadvertently mowed over your thunder. I'll be more quiet next time and let you guys roll. :)

The stream definitely got sidetracked as a result of Scott's surprise (but highly welcomed) appearance. :) We should definitely do this again.

Scott's a great guy, and I'm sorry I didn't converse more with him. But Troels was on a roll, I didn't want to interrupt him... ;)

Heh, you probably noticed, but your improvised conversation about Florida after Troels and I had announced we were leaving put the broadest smile on my face, cause that was just symptomatic for this Hangout. The man can talk for hours, can't he?

I sincerely hope I didn't come across as an ass who was trying to steal anyone's thunder by interrupting, but truth is, every time I thought Scott was done talking, he kept going. Love that he shared so much stuff with us, though, so my joking around with interruptions was certainly not supposed to offend anyone.

I will admit that I'm strangely proud of throwing Cedric into the mix, though ;)