Silly videos and nostalgia

Troels Pleimert

Man, I'm digging this thread. It's like being 14 again, except I actually know English this time around.

Again, I know exactly what you mean. Except I was 16. Nyah, nyah, nyah. ;)

And, hey, Troels, that part in your video when you get pissed and grab the beer and start opening it. (Y) Great stuff! :D

Thanks. :) It was wine, actually ... and I'll confess it already had an open twin brother next to it at the time of filming. And I had a flu when I recorded the second video. Maybe I should get stoned or hang myself upside down for the third one.

Back to Mad_C33 (and ya'll in general), can you guys tell me why so many seem to see the Gippazoid Novelty event(s) as a plot inconsistency...?

--snip snip--

Okay, I see what you're saying. With a little remark or two in SQ3, or even just as a fancy, subtle retcon in SQ5, I agree the whole scenario could've been saved. But it wasn't intentional. Mark Crowe confessed it was a quick way to tie SQ3 into the rest of the series and that the "free" bit had simply slipped their memory. So we know it wasn't intentional, but seeing as we're apparently the only people left who care about this, we could all just agree it was intentional all along and no one would be the wiser. ;)

Also, in my opinion, misinterpreted, was the idea that the sequel police men sequence on the super computer tower was buggy because they shoot Roger after telling him to halt, even though he does halt. I always took it as mocking trigger happy police members.

I agree completely. That one was entirely intentional. Mark Seibert's brilliant "some people just won't follow instructions" delivery just nails it.

Okay, I see what you're saying. With a little remark or two in SQ3, or even just as a fancy, subtle retcon in SQ5, I agree the whole scenario could've been saved. But it wasn't intentional. Mark Crowe confessed it was a quick way to tie SQ3 into the rest of the series and that the "free" bit had simply slipped their memory. So we know it wasn't intentional, but seeing as we're apparently the only people left who care about this, we could all just agree it was intentional all along and no one would be the wiser. ;)

Hehe. Wow. I hadn't known of that confession from Mark Crowe. I don't suppose we have to pretend it was intentional, but I'll say for practical purposes it worked out just fine for me (I was 9-years-old, of course, at the time of playing it). We could compare this scenario to if an artist had accidentally spilled red wine over a dark red area of his/her painting where it is unnoticeable. Whether or not there's anything wrong with it becomes, interestingly, quite a philosophical debate. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yo, guys. You know that semi-regular schedule I vaguely committed to in the Guys From Andromeda podcast? Well, here's some video fun to help explain what I meant.

Google+ link: https://plus.google....sts/3XqBmwJ3Bdt

Or just watch the sucker right here:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMmseTnITWA

Oh, and if you need help convincing someone that this is worth donating to, maybe shooting them this link instead of trying to write out all the juicy bits of goodness and probably forgetting some along the way may help drive some traffic to the Kickstarter. Or it might deter them. Use at your own discretion.

Either way, massive amounts of enthusiasm means:

• A new regular schedule for Space Quest Historian episodes
  • A video you can use to explain to friends why this particular Kickstarter kicks SO much ass
  • Something involving hair

• 4 weeks later...

Let me first tell you I am one of those avid fans who quickly downloaded VSB upon its release and have played through some of it already. Much kudos to you and your team; but I've got to admit if you chose to make both Vohaul's blue-skin toned, I don't find much credibility in that proposal, because Vohaul refers to the reason for his oddly appearance in SQ2 when he says "...being [his] own guinea pig has had its disadvantages," and Scott Murphy, when inquired about the matter of the two names, mentioned that Sludge is the evil twin. So, I must ask, "why should the good one of the two twins also have oddly appearance or blue-skin," and "why when the oddly appearance was a result of Sludge's experimentation on himself."

The fact that SQOEOE is a direct prequel to SQ1 and I have the datacart issue to contend with has already required me to ponder the matter much myself.

Fun thread - I had to dig back to where the whole Vohaul debate begins with the skin tone.

Now, for when he says being his own guinie pig has its disadvantages - you think it's because it made his skin blue?

To me, it didn't indicate that - to me, it indicated that Vohaul was absolutely crazy. And the disadvantage was that he was stuck with all those tubes in him, because he probably did so much damage to his body. I have always believed Vohaul's skin to be blue.

Someone later mentions that "he was human at one time" - to me, this again - does not mean that he had pink flesh. We're talking all these different worlds - who is to say - that there isn't blue skinned humans? Just like there's black skinned humans. This isn't entirely an impossible thought. You can find it in examples of the Kree (an alien race in Marvel Comics) - where there is both Pink Skinned and Blue Skinned Kree. (From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kree - "True Kree resemble humans almost exactly, with the exception of blue skin" ... "The original Kree had blue-colored skin, but a second racial group with pink skin resembling that of human Caucasians emerged over the millennia.") For that matter, another example using Marvel Comics - is the Atlanteans - with them once again, split between blue skinned and white skinned Atlanteans).

So I am not sure why anyone's stuck on the idea that Vohaul has to have white skin - and that blue skin is impossible because he was "human."

Actually, in the Hangout, Scott shared the background story of Vohaul as it was intended.

The blue skin was probably just CRT glow, as Sludge and Roger were actually siamese twins. When they were separated, Roger got all the good organs while Vohaul ended up in an orphanage. Eventually, he ended up in the care of an old scientist who taught Vohaul everything he knew before he died. Maybe at Vohaul's hands. So this is why Vohaul hates Roger, and why he was likely supposed to have non-blue skin.

Still, one thing that impressed Scott was that our game has a young Vohaul being sold off to research. It's surprisingly close to his intended, henceforth undisclosed backstory and that made him a lot more interested in the fan projects.

EDIT: Haha, "Vohaul ended up as an orphanage" :D

Because Mark sucks at drawing? :D

LOL! Yeah. That's not so much the case. Doing those Tawmis Vohaul videos, along with the Space Quest machinima - there's things I have had to go in and edit through PicEdit - and let me say, whoever did all of this art for Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc - had a ton of patience and a ton of talent! I am just recoloring (and barely modifying some of the images) and I want to bang my head on my keyboard. I couldn't imagine doing it all from scratch! :blink:

Still, one thing that impressed Scott was that our game has a young Vohaul being sold off to research. It's surprisingly close to his intended, henceforth undisclosed backstory and that made him a lot more interested in the fan projects.

Oh, that's really cool to hear. It's silly but I felt a little sad that Scott was fairly dismissive of the fan projects even though he gave good reason for it. That said, it made up for it to see Mark admit to playing 'some of the fan games' on that last Adventure Classic Gaming interview.

Actually, in the Hangout, Scott shared the background story of Vohaul as it was intended.

The blue skin was probably just CRT glow, as Sludge and Roger were actually siamese twins. When they were separated, Roger got all the good organs while Vohaul ended up in an orphanage. Eventually, he ended up in the care of an old scientist who taught Vohaul everything he knew before he died. Maybe at Vohaul's hands. So this is why Vohaul hates Roger, and why he was likely supposed to have non-blue skin.

EDIT: Haha, "Vohaul ended up as an orphanage" :D

Then, who is Slash Vohaul, whos datacart Roger reads, (who supposedly is the dying man who points to the datacart library and utters the words 'astral bodies,') and who very much wanted to see the Star Generator 'liberated' from the hands of the Sariens, besides Roger...?

Scott also mentioned someone called Sledge Vohaul, but I'm not sure if he meant to say that, or if he got things jumbled up a bit. Either way, we do know a bit more about Sludge now. Scott disclosing the full untold background story was one hell of a cool moment.

I think it's entirely possible that Sludge has many more blood relatives we have no knowledge of...