What are you playing?

pcj

I'm currently in the midst of Dark Souls! It is such a punishing, yet rewarding experience when you actually overcome the challenges ahead of you. Additionally, the amount of exploration/discovery fun to be had is huge, mostly because the game world is sometimes so inexplicable that you actually feel like you are exploring some incredible foreign land.

I also recently finished L.A. Noire - not exactly an adventure game, but similar in a lot of ways. The game is pretty slow in its build up, but it ends up painting an interesting picture of the whole "good cop trying to beat the system" idea. The soundtrack is amazing too. I'd highly recommend it to adventure fans who don't mind a bit of police procedural sprinkled in.

Well, PQ is an adventure game set in basically the real world, whereas SQ, KQ, and QFG were all set in fantasy or sci-fi settings. So you notice a lot of the mundane tasks more, I think. (Of course PQ was a bit excessive in making you walk around the car every time you wanted to go anywhere.) IIRC PQ2 was a bit better about it, but after that it stopped being as much an adventure and devolved into SWAT.

Lol, Shannon was playing DrawSomething last night..

And I know I'm lame, but I finished SQ4 (disk) yesterday. I'm currently playing Pokemon:White, also Tales of Graces f on PS3. Sonic Adventure (remake) on PS3 also.

And a zillion other half-finished games.

Last night, I ended up buying the "LucasArts Classic Adventure Pack" on Steam, so I've now got "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis", "Loom" and "The Dig" to go through. "Loom" and FoA are among some of my favourite games, but I've never really given TLC a change and not even played "The Dig." So I'm now playing the latter. So far, it's fantastic. Spielberg's concept arguably did deserve to be made into more than "just" a computer game.

Ah, gaming - my forte. ;)

Unlike a lot of folks here (I assume, at least), I'm primarily a console gamer - my PC is over a decade behind current specs and is in no shape to play anything made after 2005 or so. :|

Currently, I'm playing Prototype 2 for the PS3. It's the heartwarming story of a soldier whose wife and daughter are killed in a viral outbreak, pushing him over the edge into a vengeful death-seeker who attempts to kill the man responsible for the outbreak, only said man is actually a shape-shifting mass of viral biomatter with Hulk-level strength and superpowers who for unknown reasons deliberately infects the soldier and turns *him* into a shape-shifting mass of viral biomatter with superpowers, who then proceeds to use said superpowers to kick all kinds of butt up and down New York in his self-destructive quest for vengeance.

...wait, did I say "heartwarming"? I meant "awesome".

I've also been playing Red Dead Redemption, an open-world sandbox game set in the Wild West (from the people who make Grand Theft Auto). It's a deconstruction of westerns in general that serves to drive home the point that the Wild West era was not nearly as exciting and romantic as people might like to think - the heartrending ending drives that point home quite well. I didn't cry, honest. :cry:

There's also the portable systems, which I play religiously because I have plenty of free time at my desk at work. Been playing Kid Icarus: Uprising a lot - it's a surprisingly good shooter when you finally get used to the controls - as well as Resident Evil: Revelations (aah! zombie hickies!).

...an RPG starring Mario seemed a bit odd.

Odd? Heck, Mario's got some of the best RPGs in the business, if you're looking for something outside the Japanese CRPG mold and want something that requires more player involvement than "choose from menu". Mario RPG plays like some bizzare hybrid of Mario and Final Fantasy (which is a good thing); the Paper Mario games continue its tradition, albeit without the Square influences. My personal favorites, though, are the Mario and Luigi series for Nintendo's portable systems (first Game Boy Advance, then DS) - the battles rely heavily on the player's reflexes and timing to launch attacks and deflect/avoid blows, meaning you spend fights actually *participating* rather than just sitting there watching stuff play out. They're also some of the only Mario games where poor, neglected Luigi is on equal footing with his brother instead of just being Player 2 or left to house-sit, or whatever. :D

I'm trying to decide between Kingdoms of Amalur and The Witcher 2.

I haven't played Witcher, but I have been greatly enjoying Amalur. It's sort of like the lovechild of a single-player World of Warcraft and Skyrim, in particular sharing the latter's 'open class system' where you can make your own char however you want with skill points instead of being pigeonholed by class choice. I've been having great fun playing a thief-type, sneaking around, stealing stuff, and backstab-killing all who would dare try to stop me. 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Currently, I'm only playing Botanicula which I got from the latest Humble Bundle... it's gorgeous and the music is lovely and atmospheric. It also satisfies my occasional craving for point-n-click puzzle adventure games, though I enjoyed the same developer's previous project, Machinarium quite a bit more (thought I'm very near the beginning of Botanicula). I really like the concept and subject matter behind the game, but Machinarium is just such a quirky little game. It feels so "eastern european" in a way, if such a feeling exists (well, it is, but...). From the music to the way you go about "fixing" stuff in such an ad-hoc way, it evokes a feeling of an imaginary eastern europe of the near past, with crumbling infrastructure, and neighbors helping neighbors, bullies, street bands, bribery, etc.

Botanicula (so far) has a completely different feeling to it, and while still entertaining, it is a bit cutesy to grab my attention in the same way. It is extremely beautiful, and that fact coupled with the music has resulted in a surprisingly immersive experience. I've had a couple of those "what time is it now?" moments.

P.S. Since the last post in this thread, before mine is so old, I'm going to hijack it to test out post editing :-)

Edited by s_d

• 1 month later...

Well, after Steam's summer sale, I have a lot to play! Just started Botanicula, which I really like. Also Puzzle Agent was a positive surprise. Other than that, I'm also playing through the Space Quest-collection. Currently I just defeated the Terminator in SQ3. Looking forward to SQ4!

I also bought Stacking, Psychonauts, Alan Wake, Portal and was gifted Deus Ex, so I have lots of fun ahead of me!

I am currently trying to find a good way to replay some SQ originals, or other Sierra stuff. Also want to try VSB and SQI, which amazingly I have not tried yet, try to leep your lasers holstered. My computer is a putts on crack, not sure what will work and what won't. Any receommends for running the old AGI games and fangames and VSB and Incinerations? Well recommendations that won't crash the bloody machine that is. I think its running Windows 7, I have so lost track of what is running on what. I feel like an Orat has laid an egg in my head and what was there, aint. Not good.

Vonster D Monster

I am currently trying to find a good way to replay some SQ originals, or other Sierra stuff. Also want to try VSB and SQI, which amazingly I have not tried yet, try to leep your lasers holstered. My computer is a putts on crack, not sure what will work and what won't. Any receommends for running the old AGI games and fangames and VSB and Incinerations? Well recommendations that won't crash the bloody machine that is. I think its running Windows 7, I have so lost track of what is running on what. I feel like an Orat has laid an egg in my head and what was there, aint. Not good.

The updated installers found here, in conjunction with DOSBox, are an incredibly elegant solution for running Sierra games on a modern computer. As far as I know, the fan games should run fine in Windows 7 without any major tweaks.

By the way, great to see you, Vonster!

Jess