Demo issues, bugs and what not.

tomimt

Early in the KS campaign the developers discussed having a hybrid [icon / text parser] interface. Has this idea been nixed?

The hybrid icon/parser interface was part of a stretch goal that, sadly, wasn't reached. Along with an optional "classic EGA" mode. Would've loved to see that.

Anyway, I agree with a lot of the sentiments here that the shoving-stuff-around puzzles aren't explained fully enough. Truthfully, there was a bunch of dialogue that didn't make it into the demo. We've got something really special planned for all you clicking-on-every-object loving explorers that isn't demonstrated in the demo.

I didn't even figure out you had to whistle at Rooter to wake him up until this morning. You know. And I'm on the team and everything. ;) More exposition and explaining (we're very keen on not having the game mechanics get in the way of exploring!) and more fun is definitely on the menu for the full game. This you can be sure of.

If there were more feedback during the swiping action (real-time graphic updating, for instance the airlock's first sequences rotating as you drag until it's in the right position) would that be any better for play-feedback and gameplay in general? Or would you prefer having something less on rails, like the airlock's dials having two different "security" settings and you have a little clue (maybe a vague drawing uploaded to you on Ace's PDA) for how to open it? I don't represent an agent of change, but I'm just curious.

I think with the cursor changed for swiping actions, in my opinion, that would definitely be better. I honestly don't mind the swiping. It's different and it serves a purpose for some of the puzzles. As much as I am an old school Sierra gamer, I like this change. Gives an added dimension to the game.

I'm finding it hard to get through the demo, due to some annoying bugs.

- When leaving the supply room, sometimes the crates will be back to starting positions, and I'll enter the hallway outside the crates.

- If I'm carrying Rooter when leaving the supply room, no matter where I click in the hallway, Ace will go back to the supply room.

- Sometimes Rooter heads will multiply like crazy in my inventory. I can go from one room to another, and suddenly I have like 10 Rooter heads. This can also happen if I have sockets attached to the heads. I found 2 sockets on the workbench and fastened one of them to the head, and when I got to the red corridor, there were multiple heads, both with and without sockets in them. I removed the sockets from the heads, but they were all of the same type, so the one I found behind the soda can was gone.

- If I save the game and then reload, Rooter is gone. So I've been starting over a lot...

I'm playing on OSX.

I see that people are able to save/load the game, but when I click on the "save/load" button in the PDA, nothing happens (I'm running the Windows version).

Is there an hotkey or something?

Also, concerning hotkeys, I don't know if they are planned, but I like them a lot.

I'm currently playing the Sam & Max from LucasArts, and like in Space Quest the action buttons are not always on the bottom (this is Monkey Island style) and they make the game easier to handle and more enjoyable.

So hotkeys (W to walk, U to use, etc) would be a great addition, and probably not too hard to implement.

Edit : also, the ESC key to quit the game instantanly without a warning is a bit harsh ;)

I see that people are able to save/load the game, but when I click on the "save/load" button in the PDA, nothing happens (I'm running the Windows version).

Is there an hotkey or something?

Shift-S to save, Shift-L to load

Also, concerning hotkeys, I don't know if they are planned, but I like them a lot.

I'm currently playing the Sam & Max from LucasArts, and like in Space Quest the action buttons are not always on the bottom (this is Monkey Island style) and they make the game easier to handle and more enjoyable.

So hotkeys (W to walk, U to use, etc) would be a great addition, and probably not too hard to implement.

+1 to this

Shift-S to save, Shift-L to load

Ah thanks! I just tried saving and loading, but it's too broken to be used.

I saved in the janitor room, and rooter disappeared (he was in dog form in the same room before). When I got out, the crates where in original position and could not be moved again.

I think Rooter disappearance in saving game happens when you load the game when you are behind the airlock. While Ace is trasported to his intented location Rooter is left behind the Airlock door. I'm gonna see if that happens.

And this indeed seems to be the issue. Rooter is not transported correctly with the save game. In example if you load game when Ace has placed Rooter on the ground behind the airlock Rooter is left there. If Ace is still holding Rooter when you load the game in the start screen Ace ends up holding Rooter after you've loaded game despite in the saved game Rooter was walking behind him.

Loving the demo so far.

My bugs

*) Rooter sometimes doesn't open when you whistle, or at least he's flagged as open but no animation.

*) If I change to playing as Rooter in the closet, then walk out of the closet, he simply turns around and walks back in.

*) Some of the walking hotspots don't match the direction Ace walks.

*) Game crashes when I die at the steam vent.

*) Not all the hotspots are showing up as such

*) Message Not Found: $Ace_eye_Lab_Door

FEATURE REQUEST

*) Mousewheel changing of the action icons would be AWESOME

Otherwise thus far, I'm loving it.

Question for you guys on the team: did you have to do much special to make the demo work on Linux? I know there was some uncertainty about whether Linux port would make the cut for having the demo released, but at this point I could not detect a single linux-specific issue in the demo. It was quite smooth except for already-discussed areas where further work is planned (the lack of feedback for swiping actions being the biggest playability issue).

Question for you guys on the team: did you have to do much special to make the demo work on Linux? I know there was some uncertainty about whether Linux port would make the cut for having the demo released, but at this point I could not detect a single linux-specific issue in the demo. It was quite smooth except for already-discussed areas where further work is planned (the lack of feedback for swiping actions being the biggest playability issue).

Nope, didn't have to do much besides switching the build output. We will have to look at the implementation though, as it doesn't have the resolution picker that the Windows and Mac system does.

Nope, didn't have to do much besides switching the build output. We will have to look at the implementation though, as it doesn't have the resolution picker that the Windows and Mac system does.

Not that that thing does any good as it is now, anyway. ;) I mean, the play screen is severely truncated unless you run it in max resolution -- and trying for full screen just gave me an error message.

More bugs found (sorry if it has already been reported):

- When exiting the supply closet with Ace, he automatically turns around and goes back into the closet again. Managed to get to the red corridor in time at one stage but had to be quick.

- Finally managed to open the vent (huzzah!). Decided to walk right, back to the crate room (think I forgot to get something). Then when I walked back to where the vent was, everything got reset (cart was back in place and the vent was closed) and the hotspot for the cart was no longer there. Suffice to say, I cried at this point. LOL

Also realised the multiple rooter head count depended on how many time you clicked your hand icon on Rooter in areas where you aren't allowed to pick him up. Good thing is that when you the multiple rooter heads back to his body, they disappear from the inventory. Yay!

On another note, I must say that the fact that I didn't notice the music, is a good sign that I actually do love it. As it's not annoying and helps the tone of the gameplay :D

More bugs:

- Closing the socket box on the workbench makes the game stop. When I closed the box the cursor jusr starte showing the loading loop and nothing else happened

- Openin the tubes in the lab makes Ace's animation loop the open animation. Also Ace doesn't walk to the switch, he performs the open from the location he is like a good jedi.

More bugs:

- Closing the socket box on the workbench makes the game stop. When I closed the box the cursor jusr starte showing the loading loop and nothing else happened

- Openin the tubes in the lab makes Ace's animation loop the open animation. Also Ace doesn't walk to the switch, he performs the open from the location he is like a good jedi.

First one fixed in the developer build and I'm working on the other one. Thanks!

I quite liked the puzzles. Not sure why there's so much hate on swiping, though I know people hate change. ;) Providing we get better UI feedback on what to do in the final game, I don't have any issue with it. I hope something a little more developed is in store too, as I think swipes have a potential to open up a load of new puzzle types and/or Easter Eggs if done correctly.

However, in this current state I found the game incredibly frustrating. It wasn't always clear what could be click on, dragged, interacted with or whatnot. That meant I spent most of my time getting angry with it rather than appreciating all the really neat stuff that's clearly in here. I do hope you have no intentions of putting this demo on general release yet, because it is not a good advert for the final product.

Still, visually I was impressed. You've managed to make it look and sound (musically) like a modern computer game without having to resort to gratuitous 3D graphics, first-person viewpoints or weird and wonderful control mechanisms. It's like a good old fashioned adventure game, only new. I would like the option to be able to choose between a right-click menu or right-click cycle through icons, but don't see any need to have one over the other.

As a final side, and I know this is an alpha demo, etc. -- if you need to read a manual to work out how to play an adventure game (and I did, hence I knew I was supposed to be swiping at stuff), the interface isn't intuitive enough. You shouldn't need to read the manual to play anything. While I also roll my eyes at people who come on forums asking for information they could have got out of the manual, if they're having to ask basic interface questions, something needs tweaking. I'm sure you'll have this sorted for the main product, though.

I think all the bugs I saw have been picked up by others. But as a few bullet points:

* - ignore the swipe haters: just make it clearer what you have to do, and come up with some richer puzzles using the dynamic

* - get the interface more intuitive

* - keep up the good work

First of all, thanks for this Alpha Demo, I really enjoy to try it !

I don't know very good english, so I can not really enjoyed the dialogs.

However, there is some problems I meet during the game :

- I passed 30 minutes to find how open the first door because of the click & drag system that I don't like at all (if only the door handle could move in real-time with the mouse, it will be easier to find).

- Sometime, the character turn on himself when we drag and pick up the toolbox.

- The texts are not very readable, the font is too complexe, very big, and he is on the background who is not homogeneous. Some time several texts overlap when we click on different things, it become very messy. The text also follow the character, is it normal ?

- I add a Rooter's head on my inventory each time I click on the toolbox.

About the graphics, it's well done but It look like there is globally less details than SQ6, I suppose it's because of the demo.

The musics are very nice ! Good job !