Funniest thing that ever happened while playing Space Quest

BlockMaster

I wonder, what is the funniest thing that ever happened while you played Space Quest. The thing that really made you laugh the most. For me, it's in Space Quest I, when I played for the first time and my father was helping me to play when we were trying to escape the Arcada. We didn't saved, sadly, and it tooked an hour to finally get in the escape pod. I almost escaped right away, but my father remind me to buckle up. After that, when I launched the pod, we saw a scene that showed the Arcada from far away, and then, we saw a a ship shaped imprint in the bay doors. I wasn't understanding at all, until I saw the death message : Guess those doors are stronger than they look. I was rolling on the floor, laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: . I felt like an idiot : I forgot to open the doors. That is the first thing that really got me into Space Quest.

Probably getting chased around Vohaul's asteroid by that kissy alien with my childhood friend. We were 6 or 7 at the time, playing the game with a walkthrough (we could barely speak English at the time), so we knew what to do. But we still panicked every time that thing came out of its cage and drove each other into a frenzy.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, so most of the silly humor of the game went over my head. However, one scene that stood out to me was the one in Space Quest IV where they said something like "I would think something labeled as an unstable ordnance would be low on your list of fun and healthy things to carry". I also loved it when the pink bunny came by in SQIV, because at the time that thing was all over the commercials.

To show you the kind of humor that most people around me had, my stepdad typed in "fuck you" to the game one time because it was being a smartass to him. The parser said "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" and he liked that it recognized the phrase.

my stepdad typed in "fuck you" to the game one time because it was being a smartass to him. The parser said "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" and he liked that it recognized the phrase.

Which reminds me of that wonderful poster that Troels delighted us with last year during the TGA-campaign. The one that said "Vote YES! on lobotomies for adventure game designers!"

You know, one of my friends did that too. We were playing SQ2 and I had a friend named Steve Jones. He might have been gay, I dunno. He loved perverted humor and actually typed in fuck body in that scene. The game responded with a hysterical line that actually had him rolling in the aisles. This is something I would never think of but I remember telling people they were "one twisted mofo" for a couple of months after that, not even getting the connection of what the word mofo meant.

also worthy of note, one of my friends, Eddie was playing the first Leisure Suit Larry and found a very special Easter Egg because he tried to do something naughty to the dealer (if you know the game, you know what he tried -- not traditional sex but something else), to which the parser told him "That comes later". To date, I have never been able to replicate it.

• 1 month later...
Leisure Suit Larry

Speaking of hilarious parser responses to player-provided obscenities, LSL1 has the funniest response to any typed line ever:

>MASTURBATE

Larry, the whole point of all this was to STOP doing that!

Al Lowe once demo'd a build of the game for some folks, and that one was suggested by an audience member when he asked for random commands to try for them. He wasn't even aware that particular response was in the game. The crowd reaction was, reportedly, priceless. :lol:

We were playing SQ2 and I had a friend named Steve Jones.

Your friend sounds like a really cool, badass, and altogether awesome individual. I say this as a purely objective outside observer, and not because my own name happens to also be Steve Jones. :ph34r:

We Steves have to stick together. Although it does present certain problems...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to replay the series with fresh eyes, but my go-to favorite moment was the first time I heard the Narrator impersonating Cedric the Owl in the SQ6 Ascend-o-Pad, and out of nowhere, hearing the line "If you're staying in here, Graham, I'm going out there." Although getting sucked into a black hole in SQ3 and landing in Oakhurst would be a close second. I can't imagine any game studio doing that these days (outside of a Deadpool game, anyway).

The dialogue which pulled forth from my lips the greatest number of chuckles, guffaws... all the way up to guttural flatulence was the death sequence in SQXVII when entering the shuttle by the front door. after the sewer sequence. From the CD version:

The young shuttle pilot, his seat suddenly humidified by your surprise entry, fires his pulseray.

The shot just misses you and then bounces off the reflective surfaces of the cabin... eventually managing to fatally perforate you. Just as you fade from the living organism club you think, in amazement, "So that's what my spleen looks like!"
Edited by nockgeneer

• 1 month later...

This isn't really funny, but one thing I remember is my brother thinking I was playing a "naughty" game when he saw "latex babes" at the top of the screen and the scantily clad characters in SQ4. I remember feeling really embarrassed and felt like I had to hide the fact that I was playing the game after that. At the same time, it was a little thrilling feeling like I was playing an ever-so-slightly edgy title (or at least what I thought was one...hehe).