What's up with SpaceVenture?

Sledgy

I do feel like this project is being applied a rather exorbitant level of scrutiny. Most projects remain in development for years. Even for most of the big-budget titles, nobody is ever really aware when a game goes into initial development. For this one, people were there right from the beginning.

That's one of the main drawbacks of Kickstarter.  Projects often go in directions not planned in game development, which leads to delays.  Normally, this is not a problem, as the development is completely behind the scenes, and once the game is released most people wouldn't even be aware of the problems the development team faced.   But, with Kickstarter, most backers expect at least some updates on the development, and they get antsy when it takes several years for the game to be released.  Just about every Kickstarter game that's taken a long time to release, from Broken Age to Hero-U, to SpaceVenture, have had their share of people getting upset about the long development time.  A lot of this probably comes from the fact that a lot of these people haven't been involved in the game industry, or haven't read about (or don't understand) the pitfalls that happen to almost every game when it comes to extended development time, rewrites, games going over budget, etc. All of this is very common in game development, but I could see how it would look like the development is troubled to people who don't know what goes on behind the scenes in the games industry. 

Musically, you are right that you mentioned that. I don't always carefully read everything before commenting, even though I should. Sometimes I just hurriedly post without reading all the other responses.

Also, I now see "admin" icons next to some people's names. I didn't see those yesterday.

Just to let you guys know, Corey Cole wrote the following on Kickstarter today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/comments

"SpaceVenture is way behind schedule (more than us), and way over budget (I don't know how much, but I can do the arithmetic), but they are still working hard on it."

Maybe someone should send him a link to the new FAQ post here. Previously he had posted similar comments about other Kickstarters as he sought to defend himself against criticism from backers. In fact, it was such comments from Cole, as well as responses to those comments, which prompted me to come over here and ask for the clarification. I wasn't even part of those online conversations... I just read through them after the fact. So, if you're wondering who or what could be fueling such rumors, there's one possibility. Not saying he's doing it maliciously, but he certainly has a bigger platform than most backers, and he has been saying this stuff for a while. Earlier he also mentioned how he had talked with other leaders of "big" Kickstarter campaigns and he said he thought going back to Kickstarter for more money would be a good way to solve money problems, something I think is a terrible idea. Such comments caused me to put one and one together and come directly here the other day. It's possible that I'm interpreting all this wrong, but I just wanted you to know the perception of this backer (me) in case others are led to think similar things.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to let you guys know, Corey Cole wrote the following on Kickstarter today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/comments

"SpaceVenture is way behind schedule (more than us), and way over budget (I don't know how much, but I can do the arithmetic), but they are still working hard on it."

Interesting. I love Quest for Glory, but Corey obviously isn't the best spokesman. I can't believe he just throws the Space Quest guys under the bus like that to cover his own problems.

He's also attacked me personally (a $100+ backer on both his first Kickstarter and his back-for-more Kickstarter) for relatively minor/normal criticisms, although I guess I come off like a dick sometimes. Still, not the best guy to have out there interacting with the community.

Oh well, if there's one thing the Kickstarter era has taught me, it's that the people who made the games we grew up with are very human ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey!

First: I'm the new guy, so have mercy! :)

Second: I was actually just lurking for the last two years, so have mercy! :P

Third: After almost forgetting about this project (mercy!!) I recently was stumbling over the last Kickstarter update and I have to say even when my brain was/is somewhat concerned about the so called eta my eyes are fallen in love with what they could see !

Waldi in Nurb's?! For real??

• 2 months later...

They haven't said otherwise. I'm still expecting one. It'll look great next to my SQ1 (spaceship cover), SQ4, and SQ Collection(Vivendi) boxes. I almost bought a replacement Space Quest Collector Series fold top box a while ago but I abstained....my real SQ unicorn is the classic black box, though. It would be awesome if they designed the SpaceVenture box kind of like a Space Quest box. All black with a red and blue logo (maybe a different letterstyle, though). Or even maybe the "Rgoer Wilco in..." style boxes. could say "Ace Hardway in...." instead.

They haven't said otherwise. I'm still expecting one. It'll look great next to my SQ1 (spaceship cover), SQ4, and SQ Collection(Vivendi) boxes. I almost bought a replacement Space Quest Collector Series fold top box a while ago but I abstained....my real SQ unicorn is the classic black box, though. It would be awesome if they designed the SpaceVenture box kind of like a Space Quest box. All black with a red and blue logo (maybe a different letterstyle, though). Or even maybe the "Rgoer Wilco in..." style boxes. could say "Ace Hardway in...." instead.

Ah yes the proper first box design.  I have the second edition with the ship on the front.  I literally bought it on ebay for the box and contents as the version is for Atari ST! Space Quest IV was my favourite box design though, especially the slightly protruding artwork on the front.  Aside from Space Quest, I recently picked up Willy Beamish again too.  

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It is now 2020. I guess I lost hope that the game would be made around five years ago.

I don't really mind that I backed the game and never got to play it. What I would really like is that they finally admit this project isn't going to come to fruition. Maybe even open source it and allow the community to finish it up.

I hope everyone is in good health and all of the issues that plagued the production are now passed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 9:00 AM, disstress said:

It is now 2020. I guess I lost hope that the game would be made around five years ago.

I don't really mind that I backed the game and never got to play it. What I would really like is that they finally admit this project isn't going to come to fruition. Maybe even open source it and allow the community to finish it up.

I hope everyone is in good health and all of the issues that plagued the production are now passed.

I admit, Pope shutting down his Facebook and Twitter not to long ago, didn't send the best feeling in the world. Felt like someone who knows it's not working out.

But at the same time, could just be someone who is tired of hearing "When is it coming out?" I am more than sure he wants this off his shoulders just as much as everyone else wants a copy of it. What probably started out as a fun idea has become a massive burden.

As for health, if you follow Scott Murphy on Twitter, he posts frequent updates about his health issues.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, CavemanDCJ said:

Well it looks like it is over. We have been scammed and it is finally time to accept it. This game will never come out and all hope is lost i feel sorry for everyone who lost their money in this scam. I am not even angry i am just hugely disappointed.

We are literally testing the beta right now. We as in the backers. My money ain't wasted.