Least Favorite Space Quest

SteveHNo96

I was talking about the fact that only Mark Crowe designed Space Quest V. In the Space Piston Magazine, it says that Mark Crowe became the One Phoney From Andromeda. (I know it because I have the Space Piston magazine) If I'm wrong, tell me. Sorry if you think I'm insulting.

You keep getting SQ5 mixed up with other games. The Space Piston magazine is from SQ2 and SQ4. What you are talking about is from the Galactic Inquirer (from SQ5) page I posted earlier.

Truth: Sierra changed Radio Shock to Hz So Good of their own free will because they didn't want a lawsuit.

Apparently they never heard of parody.

Truth: No women's organizations ever sued or complained over the Latex Babes. Mark was kind of disappointed, actually.

I'm disappointed. But then again, Zondra was holding a freakin' SPEAR GUN, so glass ceilings were bound to smash everywhere.

Truth: They actually did get in trouble for using the Eveready/Energizer/Duracell bunny in SQ4, because, apparently, the bunny is owned by one company overseas and another company domestically (in U.S.). It was settled out of court, though, so no lawsuit.

Interesting. I remember they got to keep the bunny in the game.

Truth: ZZ-Top actually found out about their appearance, years after the release of the game, and threatened to sue (ironic having no sense of humor and sporting beards like that, eh?). Again, settled out of court.

Amazing, isn't it? If you look at the band it tells you they're one of the hottest bands in the quadrant.

Truth: I'm a jerk.

I know but compared to Paul Trowe, you're a saint.

Truth: So is Fred.

Don't know him well enough but he'd have to be a real pantload to be worse than some of the douches I've dealt with.

Truth: Space Quest fans are awesome.

Thank you!

Truth: My foot itches.

No alien is going to pop out of your chest, right?

Truth: I'm a pervert and proud of it, but I also enjoy a good laugh. So even though you'd think I'd prefer LSL, Space Quest remains my favorite Sierra game.

Truth: I have used the term buckazoid for money since the early '90s. So far, no one has complained even once about it.

• 5 weeks later...

As far as I can tell from various sources - e.g. the original SpaceQuest.Net and the Sierra Chest - Sierra was sued over the Droids-R-Us gag. They won the suit, but would still have to change the name to Droids-B-Us. Both Frans and Rudy have obviously spent a lot of time researching over the years, so I personally believe this story, even though I've never talked to Scott or Mark about it.

When discussing Droids-R-Us with Scott 2 years ago (yes, I looked it up), he replied:

"No, it never went to court, and yes, it was in the 1.0 version in the original great looking black box Mark designed. We were standing in the upstairs hall of the infamous red building talking with Ken when Mark Crow’s wife Sandy, Ken’s then executive assistant, came over and showed him a letter from the lameass Toys-R-Us legal department telling us we couldn’t use Droids-R-Us blah blah blah. Ken thought a moment and said they owed us money and kiddingly ‘dictated’ a reply to Sandy that said we would continue to use it and to sign it off with, “Thank you, fuck you and pay us the $75,000 you owe us.”

He later added:

"Part 2 of the story: (I thought I posted it. Where the hell did it go?) However, a short time later Ken came in to our office and, in a nipple-stiffening display of executive bravado, told us we had to change it and left. There wasn’t an image on the outside of the box that showed Droids-R-Us, and the people who could have given us the most grief, LucasArts, never mentioned it and they have legal rights to the word Droid which we used a frequently. You’ll notice there’s a disclaimer about it on each commercial for Android phones."

When discussing Droids-R-Us with Scott 2 years ago (yes, I looked it up), he replied:

"No, it never went to court, and yes, it was in the 1.0 version in the original great looking black box Mark designed. We were standing in the upstairs hall of the infamous red building talking with Ken when Mark Crow’s wife Sandy, Ken’s then executive assistant, came over and showed him a letter from the lameass Toys-R-Us legal department telling us we couldn’t use Droids-R-Us blah blah blah. Ken thought a moment and said they owed us money and kiddingly ‘dictated’ a reply to Sandy that said we would continue to use it and to sign it off with, “Thank you, fuck you and pay us the $75,000 you owe us.”

He later added:

"Part 2 of the story: (I thought I posted it. Where the hell did it go?) However, a short time later Ken came in to our office and, in a nipple-stiffening display of executive bravado, told us we had to change it and left. There wasn’t an image on the outside of the box that showed Droids-R-Us, and the people who could have given us the most grief, LucasArts, never mentioned it and they have legal rights to the word Droid which we used a frequently. You’ll notice there’s a disclaimer about it on each commercial for Android phones."

Haha! Nipple-stiffening executive mode. It works twice as well on the intimidation scale when backed up with the trademark Ken Williams Executive 'Stache.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*sigh* I guess I'll step out of lurker mode to finally give my answer. Since I post so infrequently I think I'll just rate all of the games.

The one I like the least is Space Quest 6. I can't stand it, and to this day I haven't been able to beat it. I've tried forcing myself to play through it but it's just not a Space Quest game. I won't get into the numerous reasons why, but know that I refuse to accept it as part of the SQ series. 

Next least would be SQ1 VGA. It also didn't quite feel like Space Quest.

After that I would probably say 5 for the sole reason that it also didn't really feel like a Space Quest game. A reminder that this is a list of my preferences, and not what I feel are the worst games when judged on their own merits. If I was doing that I'd say SQ5 is actually pretty good and was pretty well designed.

Now the next one on my list will likely destroy any credibility I may have as a Space Quest fanatic. Space Quest 3. I don't know. I feel as though there wasn't really all that much to explore, and what there was wasn't tremendously interesting. I think this is probably due to length as it's pretty much one of the shortest games in the series. 

Then Space Quest 2, Space Quest 4, and then in last place (of my least favorite) is Space Quest 1.

Yeah, like I said, his work in SQ6 is flipping amazing. I remember having quite a few literal laugh out loud moments thanks to his ability to dish out line after hilarious line of perfect timing and emphasis.  I've been working my way through the series again the last few weeks and am almost halfway through SQV now.  Looking forward to hearing his work again.  Not looking forward to the annoyingly convoluted puzzles on Polysorbate LX.