SpaceVenture's Backers... Where are they hiding?

Johnathon

Okay, so I couldn't resist posting this up anymore. Sorry if it's been mentioned, I've been a bit busy and haven't been able to follow the activity here on a consistent basis.

So, anyways, I'm glad we had over 10,000 contributors to ensure the SpaceVenture would happen, and I recall that one couldn't refresh the screen without the comments page being overfilled to the point that following it coherently was impossible.

...and I'm thinking about all that, and thinking about the fact that the Rewards site has been up for months now, and I'm wondering, "where is everybody?"

Are they all just sitting back and watching? It seems the handful of people we have actively posting at the place is quite small. This is the first time I've ever helped fund a project like this, or been a member of a private rewards community, so I'm not certain if this phenomena is a common occurrence after fundraisers are successfully backed.

Not a problem, I suppose, but I'm just so curious as to why.

I have no idea why (at least) the rewards site isn't seeing more attention... after all, people paid for that access! I've been lurking mostly, and backing adventure games on Kickstarter, and making slow progress on my own projects. I do see 10-20 regular forum denizens here. I'm positive that if our Two Guys hung out here much, that the forums would buzz a lot harder! But then that's less attention on SV, so I suppose we are where we are now. :)

Not certain if you guys interpreted my question as I meant it; but now that you mention, this place does seem a little dead too.

What I was actually referring to was how dead SVRewards is. There may be 20 people posting there, and it's been up for months. I mean, I didn't count, but that's how it seems.

To be honest, I think the fan fervor seems to have dwindled quite considerably the past couple of months. Yes, much of that can be attributed to things seemingly moving slowly in the 2GFA camp (although I have it on good authority that that's far from the truth). I know I have also been guilty of dialing down my fever-pitch cheerleading, not for lack of interest or want, though.

It seems the two big things happening, fan-wise, to spread the joy: the Superfan Hangouts and Jess' "Pledge Quest II". And once Jess is done with that, I fear we are down to the Superfan Hangouts.

I really wanted to kick-start (forgive the expression) the fan community by building that "graphics toolkit" so people could create fan games without having to worry about artwork. I think the project's kinda stalled with me; I was supposed to write up some planets and characters and what not. Oh, and some artists were supposed to step up to the game.

I think the community's still around; we're just sitting back, waiting for something to happen. When I guess -- not to sound assholish or anything -- we should be out there making things happen.

I think after such a fervor, this kind of repose is natural. I know I skim the forums at least weekly, but I've been so busy with our project. There's always the loyal few that stick around, and then there's others that drift in and out.

The waiting for the actual game is the worst - and the early stages of production are pretty boring, actually, to those who aren't involved. I know there's lots of us that are fascinated by all aspects of the creation, design and implementation of the game, but the vast majority of people just want to play something.

Bt

All good points; though, like S_D mentioned, they did pay for that access. I've no place to tell people what to do with their stuff, but my curiosity is roused by this. The amount of enthusiasm flaming the kickstarter onward was incredible (I mean, yeah, it was a close call, but we still got over 10 thousand people).

It's just really surprising to me. I'm busy too, of course: wedding planning, college, work, SQ:OEOE, and the past two weeks recovering from severe dyspnoea triggered by what no expert has been able to explain yet (apparently an odd virus or side-effects due to interaction of antibiotics and corticosteroids) - anyways, yeah! TMI, lol. I still can't stop myself from logging in at least once a week and seeing what new media/visual/sketch/what-have-you is posted on SVRewards.com.

It's really hard to believe, that out of 10,000 people, only a small handful, about 20, if that, have posted in these months. That's really surprising, I say, however you slice it.

Perhaps it's that many are logging in and just not commenting? After all, "we" have no way of tracking/observing that, do we.

Or, like BlackThorne mentioned, perhaps most people just want to play something. I suppose that is nothing to be disappointed by :D

But wow...

You know, Johnathon, I'm totally with you, and I'm glad you brought it up. I do think it's because we haven't got a lot to talk about, and information from the Two Guys -- even for those of us lucky enough to have a direct link to them -- has been a bit stagnant as of late. I know for a fact it's not because they're slagging off; in fact, they're busy as all hell. We also have to remember, back at Sierra, the Guys were used to just being holed up, doing their stuff, with no Twitter or hungry fans beating down their social media doors to hear the latest updates -- apart from the few select annoying fans who e-mailed them constantly (ahem). They were used to just sitting around at Sierra, slaving away at the games, and not really hearing any feedback on their work until the games were released.

The SpaceVenture is also still in the conceptual phase with concept art being generated and technical details still being worked out. Once development kicks into high gear, I am sure this "slump" will seem like a distant memory. All we can do is poke the fire and keep it alive so that there will still be interested people around to witness the barrage of awesome that's to come.

It wouldn't surprise me as well if a lot of the 10K+ only lurk at the rewards site. The post that got the most comments had to do with Ace's mentor's name because that was engaging. As for the rest, it could be they read the comments from those who get there first, say "I agree with that", smile, and move on.

When it comes to the forum here, I think there are a lot of fans who just really aren't into forums. As has been said before too, this is the grunt-work phase. People don't like waiting that long, so they get into other stuff in the meantime.

You know, it's really funny - to the average person it looks like a slump, but as a fellow game designer and creator, I just know how much work is going on right now.

This lull will be temporary - the next few months will probably progress like this, and the die-hards will be all in, as normal - but after that, BAM, a lot of excitement is going to come.... heh. I've got nothing but time, and I can't wait for that time. I know it will come.

You know, us adventure fans had a crazy exciting summer. I mean, look at all that happened in the scene - so many great projects dominated Kickstarter! It was amazing - I personally connected with a whole bunch of new friends and fans, and I rekindled some old relationships. Honestly, as far as my adventure game love goes - the summer of 2012 was The New Summer Of Love!

Bt

You know, us adventure fans had a crazy exciting summer. I mean, look at all that happened in the scene - so many great projects dominated Kickstarter! It was amazing - I personally connected with a whole bunch of new friends and fans, and I rekindled some old relationships. Honestly, as far as my adventure game love goes - the summer of 2012 was The New Summer Of Love!

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I met so many awesome people through all these Kickstarter campaigns. It may be making my wallet bleed like you wouldn't believe, but the memories (and in-game cameos) make up for it in spades.

I have no idea why (at least) the rewards site isn't seeing more attention... after all, people paid for that access!

I can only speak for myself, but at some point i got the message that i would get access to a rewards page. But i never got another email about it and i couldn't find any links to it. So i'm guessing it's not about ppl not giving a shit about the site.

Now me personally i'm skilled enough that i managed to get the page to send me the login-info once i managed to find out what the url was....

I still check the news, but yeah -- summer.... and four very intense adventure-game related months at the start of the year.

The sources for Spaceventure news are a little diffuse too, with the forum, svbacker site, and Andromedan Post.. Substantial news on the dev process could go into a Kickstarter update, to ping all the backers, and remind them of the various sites and pushing the paypal campaign.