AdventureGamers' forums' thoughts on the Two Guys' Kickstarter

pcj

Gotta agree with MI on the try again. Perhaps a compromise of offering all "Start Over", "Restore", "Retry" and "Quit" buttons on the death message would best suit a majority of people.

People complain for years that adventure games of the last decade are mediocre (and unfortunately they are) and when there is finally a strong revival of the genre they complain about the pitch video not being good enough, that they are keeping features hostage (!?) or about other trivial things.

This. We finally start getting what we have been wanting for more than a decade and all many can do is carp. :rolleyes:

BOOM!!!

Anyway, lots of great posts already, let's see here..

SQ6 had a neat way of doing it. Funnily enough as someone said KQ7 had a similar way but not nearly as fun. Just on KQ, I felt like lots of deaths were annoying in those games, rather more "nyah nyah nyah" deaths making you look like a fool for your actions, some quite legit, versus SQ where you either DID do something stupid on purpose or by accident.

KQ6+7 were not handled by Roberta and were much funnier for deaths, but the first 5 were all pretty much awful.

QFG was right up there with deaths, some of them are funnier death games than some of the SQ ones, IMO. QFG3 springs to mind for funny ones.

But anyway. At the end of the day, people who haven't played Sierra games have no place commenting on the intricacies of the games. That'd be like me bashing a Monkey Island game for being too silly when I've never finished one. It is just people who are jealous or envious for some reason, and at the end of the day that stuff just doesn't matter and isn't interesting to read about- or discuss, I wouldn't have thought.

As has been said, let's get along and enjoy adventure game revivals.

The proof is in the pudding and it's currently producing an aroma which I think we can all savour, no matter whether we like Double Fine, SQ, Jane, Larry, etc.

Its kind of unfair to even compare Lucasarts and Sierra style games - they are just very very different experinces. But in a good way, IMO. While its nice to not get hit over the head for a wrong decision, sometimes having that happen is half the fun - hence, explosive decompression sucks - but its still funny

Happily and luckily, there is no ill beef (now there's an image) between LucasArts and Sierra ... and frankly, there never was. I've been privy, as have everyone who befriends Scott Murphy on Facebook, to see pictures of a softball tournament in the late 90's between LucasArts and Sierra On-Line. Even when they were the top competitors on paper, they still found time to whack things with sticks in a neighborly fashion.

If I was to say anything negative about the AG forum denizens' reaction, it would be that it's a shame the fans aren't as open-minded as the progenitors of all this wonderful entertainment.

Also, I was under the deluded conviction that Jane Jensen was doing absolutely fine -- I mean, Gabriel Knight's a friggin' chick magnet ... er, sorry -- and that we were the underdogs. But if the reverse is the case, then damn it, I'm all up for giving Jane any plug she needs, Josh Mandel-style.

Highlighting... lol... is this Reader Rabbit...? There was never any highlighting in the Sierra adventures, was there? :D

No, Sierra never did. But a lot of games nowadays do. For instance, a slew of first person shooters have object highlighting so you can notice them in the world. At least there's the option to turn it off, though. Even Telltale's The Walking Dead game has object highlighting. Ridiculousness, if you ask me. Even KQ7 had this to some degree, though. When you hover over objects that are intractable the wand cursor starts glowing and animating, while earlier games wouldn't tell you one way or the other if an object was interactable or not. This gave you much more narration and descriptions on areas. KQ7's non-animating cursor might as well be the big annoying red X from SQ4, SQ1VGA, and KQ5 when you can't interact with something. That's a slightly different issue, though. I was specifically talking about objects in the game world lighting up to show that you can interact with them (without even hovering over them).

The only complaint that seemed legit (and not kids trolling the forums) was the timing of the Kickstarter. People want to support all of these adventure games! I agree, it's an issue, but we want all these games now! ;)

This is the only thing that bothered me. I do want it now. However, if it means more people can pledge, I can wait another 3 or 6 months. Hell, we've waited this long...

I don't get it. There's isn't even a news bit about this Kickstarter going online. There's an older one from April about it, but nothing now?

Who leads a site where Portal is an adventure game but this doesn't even get in the news?

I think the 'AdventureGamers' website is a production of 'Big Fish Games', that might be why?

I have absolutely no problems with deaths in adventure games. However, I can see where it would be frustrating to those who did not grow up with Sierra. I would also say that I like the idea of a "harcore" mode that simulates the good old days when the narrator can tell you how much of a pantload you've been. Let those who want a Telltale experience have their way and let the hardcore gamers have theirs. Frankly, I'd probably play it both ways.

Having gaming dead ends, on the other hand, is another topic altogether. I doubt ANYBODY liked those.