pcj

Prototype #2 is now live!

It is recommended that you listen to this audio clip first:

[media=]http-~~-//traffic.libsyn.com/techjives/Proto2_Intro.mp3[/media]

After playing the prototype, listen to this clip:

[media=]http-~~-//traffic.libsyn.com/techjives/Proto2_End.mp3[/media]

I've also extracted and made available for other browsers the prototype:

http://pcj.bz/sq/sketch2

(They've got a warning message this time for non-Chrome users, appropriately so).

The prototype looks great. Can't wait for the next one and hoping to see that parser in action ;) It's pretty clear by now that people weren't waiting on the sidelines just to see the prototype before pledging. I don't think we have raised more than 1k since it has been released and some have even pulled their pledges. Let's hope those promised interviews and articles deliver the goods and the backers. There's still time to turn this around.

The prototype does not seem to work in most other browsers. I've tried Firefox, Opera and IE9, but it fail to start properly.

For the majority it really should not be a problem, but it will still be nice for the few left who does not have Chrome (for whatever reason) to be able to play it.

Nice, I found two of the deaths:

1. Walking out the airlock

2. Walking into the water before activating the path

Any hints for the third?

And some criticism - I personally don't think it was a good idea to expect people to listen to a 23 minute audio clip before getting to play the prototype they've been waiting a long time for.

I was anxious to play it and when I saw the "listen to this first", I thought "Ugh, fine..." and fired up my audio player.

Then I saw how long it was and my first thought was "What? Seriously?! Well... Alright. I have faith in these guys, so I'll do this by the book..."

Then I reluctantly listened to a little bit of it and it seems the main "before you play" point was "you won't need Chrome to play the final game", which was mentioned in text form on the website as well.

The rest of it might as well have been the closing thoughts.

So I decided to "cheat", stopped the audio, played the prototype and then listened to the rest of the audio.

And I didn't feel like I missed anything that way.

The key part here is where I listened to it just because I have faith in the Two Guys.

I can imagine a lot of the skeptics and on-the-fencers seeing this and going "That's it, I'm outta here!", possibly skipping the prototype as well.

For the majority it really should not be a problem, but it will still be nice for the few left who does not have Chrome (for whatever reason) to be able to play it.

They explained in an earlier podcast that focusing only on Chrome allows them to develop this much more rapidly. Spending time on making it work in every browser can take almost as much time as developing the game in the first place. So if they were putting effort into compatibility at this stage, we'd have much less to play with.

Also, do you have examples of "people who don't have Chrome" other than "people who don't want to install Chrome"? It's available for free on all major platforms and you can install it in a few minutes as a non-default browser. I use Opera for almost everything, but also have Chrome on the side for stuff that works better in it

LOVED the prototype. So awesome to see Scott and Mark's vision gradually coming to fruition. I really love the text boxes and the fade effect on them. Very classy. Found all three deaths too! Contrary to mjomble (no offence intended) I actually really loved hearing their intro. I love every little bit I get to hear from those two geniuses whether it be a podcast, interview or intro to a prototype they've made for us. Didn't bother me in the slightest and if anything, just built further suspense!

I love every little bit I get to hear from those two geniuses whether it be a podcast, interview or intro to a prototype they've made for us.

Oh, yeah, just to clarify - I liked the content of the audio and I wouldn't mind if it was 3 hours long, as long as it were in something you listen after playing.

But things like where Scott gets ideas for jokes didn't seem like critical information we absolutely need to know before playing.

I guess it can work for building suspense, but it depends on how impatient you are :P

I think it is a very bad idea to bind it to a single browser. As hard as Google is pushing Chrome there will be many that will refuse to be coerced into installing it.

I think mjomble has given the reason for that pretty succinctly. This is genuinely one of those times where they either do it in Chrome or they don't do it at all.

There are, obviously, advantages to both courses of action. But I think I'd rather have something than nothing.

Then again, as Andres also said, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because of who they are and what they've done in the past. Many others won't. It's a fine line to tread.

There's been a lot of pettiness over HTML5 and Chrome. Not all of it is rational, but people are irrational. Customers and potential customers are irrational. It's irrational to pledge $115 to a product that doesn't even exist yet and probably only has a market value of $30.

I remember an article in the centre-right wing newspaper The Times (the Times of London to those of you who are wrong but need some geographical context) written by Danny Finkelstein. He was a PR advisor at one time to the Conservative Party leader William Hague. At the General Election in 2001 he phoned a voter who said she would vote for Tony Blair because Hague "had a funny voice". When Finkelstein said "if you don't mind me saying so, that's a rather silly way to vote". She said "yes, I do mind you saying so" and put the phone down.

Essentially, a lot of this bickering is because William Hague has a silly voice. Fucking Tory scum.

I remember an article in the centre-right wing newspaper The Times (the Times of London to those of you who are wrong but need some geographical context) written by Danny Finkelstein. He was a PR advisor at one time to the Conservative Party leader William Hague. At the General Election in 2001 he phoned a voter who said she would vote for Tony Blair because Hague "had a funny voice". When Finkelstein said "if you don't mind me saying so, that's a rather silly way to vote". She said "yes, I do mind you saying so" and put the phone down.

Reminds me of the "Warren Harding error" - he was elected as president mostly because he looked and sounded like a president. Later turned out he was shit at it.

Loved the prototype, the text was all spot-on.

However, I'll also agree that the whole "listen to this 20-odd minute audio clip before you play" really brought my enthusiasm to a grinding halt. To me, it was akin to getting a new PS3 game, popping the disk in and then having to wait for a 20 gig patch to download. It's a bit frustrating.

I also found it a bit difficult to find the link to the chrome store as it was buried in the lower paragraph of the post. Firstly, it made me delay trying the prototype at all (because I didn't have 30 minutes free to listen and then try the prototype). I eventually realized I wouldn't have the time so just went ahead and gave it a go just having read the post. It was more then sufficient.

Not hating at all, just wanted to provide some feedback on my experience.

Keep it up, so excited to see this fund.

I agree. I gave up about six minutes into it because I just wanted to play. Even though I find Scott and Mark's full-disclosure relationship with us fans very commendable and sympathetic, 23 minutes is overdoing it, in my opinion.

The prototype, however, is the bee's knees. I'm also thrilled to see that it has some replay value this time, as I have only found one of the three promised death sequences.

When Finkelstein said "if you don't mind me saying so, that's a rather silly way to vote". She said "yes, I do mind you saying so" and put the phone down.

Essentially, a lot of this bickering is because William Hague has a silly voice. Fucking Tory scum.

I wish Danny had told her that she had an annoying voice, so therefore her opinion didn't count :)

Oh and DrSlash... I concur with many of your SQ opinions and enjoy much of your humour on these forums, I insist that we are not all scum though :)

Either we're are being trolled or we have just lost $6000

I love the protoype setup but I fear it may be too niche for the masses. Games along with many other pieces of art and entertainment start with foundations. These foundations will look shoddy and ill-concieved to the untrained eye methinks. I fully understand the work that goes into the building of a game and how cool it is to see sketch work come to life. But some people won't be taking in the well written comedy or the quality of the art. They will look at it from a playability stand point and as a reflection of the finished product no matter how much they're told this isn't the case.

Loved the prototype, the text was all spot-on.

I totally agree! Felt like a kid again.

I thought it was great! But I also share the criticisms of some others here. Not everyone understands these prototypes, sadly. I think DFA had it right by not showing anything until after the Kickstarter was over and then only to the backers. Even now backers are complaining in the hidden forum about tons of stupid things, but it's too late to take back their pledges now :). They will see the good of the product at the end of the line, though. However, for SpaceVenture, they have the opportunity to opt out on a whim. Sad but true fact.

As I said in the rumour thread, it seems Mark also recognised that the prototypes have not necessarily worked in the favour. That being said, it would be disastrous to stop doing them now.

The best they can do really is to polish it more and more, things I'd like to see for next prototype would be:

• Better pathfinding
  • Inventory
  • New room
I also think it might be worth considering releasing the next as a stand alone executable, if technically feasible within the limited time, in order to demonstrate that it can be done.