To Gary Owens voice match, or not to Gary Owens voice match, that is the question..

ChrisPope

Ideally I want it to be someone who can do a really good Gary Owens impression, or at least mimic the essential qualities that made Gary Owens' voice

perfect as the narrator... how he was able to switch from epic-narrator-boom to more intimate-cutting-sarcasm depending on the line.

As others have mentioned, George Lowe would be great as he is pretty much the official Gary Owens cover-voice with all his great work on

Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast...

I think it's good to have someone imitate the voice... when Mel Blanc died, they didn't change the voices of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc. they 

got people who could do the same character voices really well.

What do you think guys? I think he'd be perfect for either the narrator OR even Ace Hardway. I don't know if he'd be up for it or in the payment range; since he's a B-movie actor it could be a possibility. Broken Age could effort Elijah Wood, too. But first and foremost, it'd be a question of "Would it feel right?". I just want to put this out there (or in here). Maybe its a possibilty! :)

I think Bruce Campbell would be amazing. :) He does that "endearing sarcastic asshole" thing to a tee.  And like you said, he's a B movie actor -- in other words, a workaholic and doesn't shy away from productions that aren't done through huge studios, so getting him on board might actually be somewhat feasible.

Personally, I'd vote for someone who has the same spirit and flare for the sarcasm and sass that Mr. Owens specialized in, rather than someone who focuses more on 'sounding exactly like him'

Speaking of, while I know I could never stand in league with a legend, will there be a chance at an open audition for the position?

Personally, I'd vote for someone who has the same spirit and flare for the sarcasm and sass that Mr. Owens specialized in, rather than someone who focuses more on 'sounding exactly like him'

Speaking of, while I know I could never stand in league with a legend, will there be a chance at an open audition for the position?

Keep in mind whoever is chosen will need to be a member of the SAG-AFTRA guild to avoid problems with using the other voice actors already on board. If you qualify then certainly hit up chris@guysfromandromeda.com for consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE A SUGGESTION

Dwight Schultz - he has his credentials from being part of the original A-team, he was Reg Barclay in Star Trek TNG, so he has his space credentials and he can talk future-sciency - plus he was in Fallout 4, among other games.

He's doing an announcer style voice in the new Master of Orion game reboot, video below...

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, he's a lovely bloke. But his voice has a commanding presence that is capable of authority,  mockery and sarcasm as well - I think he would do an amazing homage to Gary Owen without trying to emulate him, I think that's what this needs.

Here is the voice anouncement trailer for Master of Orion, you can hear him do an announcer style voice.

https://youtu.be/KhzlgohX2SM

I HAVE A SUGGESTION

Dwight Schultz - he has his credentials from being part of the original A-team, he was Reg Barclay in Star Trek TNG, so he has his space credentials and he can talk future-sciency - plus he was in Fallout 4, among other games.

He's doing an announcer style voice in the new Master of Orion game reboot, video below...

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, he's a lovely bloke. But his voice has a commanding presence that is capable of authority, mockery and sarcasm as well - I think he would do an amazing homage to Gary Owen without trying to emulate him, I think that's what this needs.

Here is the voice anouncement trailer for Master of Orion, you can hear him do an announcer style voice.

https://youtu.be/KhzlgohX2SM

There was a time when I thought Dwight would make a good onscreen Roger.

It might be nice to try a fresh talent.  One who is extremely energetic, highly motivated, and eager to please.  Might I suggest Samuel Klein?  As a backer of the project, I've already demonstrated my faith in the development team, as well as my belief in the quality and substance of the project.  As a professional actor/voiceover artist, it would be extremely gratifying and humbling to be able to lend my voice talents to this awesome game.  My demo tracks can be found at www.samuelklein.com.  In any event, thanks for your time and consideration.  Keep up the great work!

Sincerely,

Samuel Klein 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest not to try to find someone like Gary Owens. The expectations and, implicitly, the frustration risk, are too high.

My suggestion would be to try to hire Darin De Paul http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0210875/

Listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A

His voice acting skills are awesome. There he just lowers and slows down his speech on purpose :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to make a suggestion as well in case it's not too late. I've been listening to the Space Quest Historian podcasts, and Gareth Millward (the guy who plays Pete Toleman) really cracks me up! He reminds me a bit of Wheatley from Portal 2, who was one of the funniest characters in any game that I've played recently. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...