KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!

The pledge rate has really slowed down. I think more coverage is needed. There have been articles on Eurogamer, Joystiq and RPS but that's about it. It would be nice if the Larry guys would give an update telling their backers about the Space Quest guys. I hope this campaign has a few surprises to offer otherwise we will only reach 200k next weekend. Am I getting a bit too anxious? The same thing happened to me during the Larry campaign, but things eventually worked out. The thing is somewhere in the future there will be a kickstarter with a large fanbase that will fail. We haven't had a big failure so far and I hope it's not this one or Tex Murphy. I expected Republique to be the first, but somehow (I really wasn't impressed with their game) it succeeded.

PS: I have a problem copy-pasting when posting on this forum. Is it just me?

The second-third-day falloff is pretty typical. You can see what happened in the LSL Kickstarter: http://www.kicktraq....rry-come-again/ That doesn't mean you should quit promoting though!

PS: I have a problem copy-pasting when posting on this forum. Is it just me?

It copies the format as well as the text. If you want to remove the format click the eraser button (Remove Format), second button on the top row above the post.

Some fans (who all know who they are) are going above-and-beyond getting the word out about this particular Kickstarter. Yes, I'm being intentionally cryptic, and yes, you will see soon. You will all see! Aaah-ha-ha-ha ...

(Ahem. That's not to say you should just lean back and let things run their course. Please, by all means, go tell someone. As in, right now! :) )

Three or four days is nowhere near enough to extrapolate how things are going to go, but let's do so anyway.

It looks like the two guys are behind Larry in terms of initial popularity, but will probably (just) get over the line if they can get things to pick up towards the end of the process if current trends continue.

I would suggest that if (and it's a massive-probably-worth-assuming-it-won't-happen-so-we-don't-get-our-hopes-up if) it turns out that they can make Space Quest VI, they will break £500k and then some.

I would suggest that if (and it's a massive-probably-worth-assuming-it-won't-happen-so-we-don't-get-our-hopes-up if) it turns out that they can make Space Quest VI, they will break £500k and then some.

SQ6 remake? This time without the "inner-space" idea, I hope. Oh, you said not to get hopes up. :(

OK, am I being stupid here? HTML5 seems to be getting a really rough ride in the comments section of the Kickstarter. While the Zork guy seems to be raising some legitimate concerns (will an HTML5 game be able to render things quick enough; will it have multiple audio channels, etc.), the assumption STILL seems to be that because it's programmed in HTML5 it will need some sort of browser technology in order to run.

Am I being stupid, or am I correct in assuming that since the game is going to be a stand-alone executable that it should be able to run as quickly as if it were programmed in anything else, providing the compiler file is properly coded?

Some of the comments are about as stupid as saying there's no point in learning French because the only thing it will let you do is go to France.

Or maybe I'm the stupid one? Would be interesting to see some more hard-line confirmation from the pontiff on this one in the next podcast.

Whoa, that comments section really wears me out. There is a certain stigma attached to browser based languages. But if HTML5 is as capable as Flash there is really no need to worry, after all Machinarium was done in Flash and I think not a lot of people know that. That game handled itself beautifully. However for marketing reasons and I think all these negative discussions could be hurting the project a bit, they should state that they are not going to use HTML5 for the final product. So far they said they are undecided on the engine. People are going to freak out at the possibility of HTML, even though I think it is a perfectly viable choice, and now is not the time to change those mentalities.

I don't understand the confusion personally. So far for me the updates have been clear as day, the prototypes are being made in a browser, the actual game will not require a browser to play. I don't get where the confusion comes from. I'm not being sarcastic, I genuenly do not understand what the confusion is about. :huh:

HTML5 is far more capable than Flash. Flash is antiquated and needs to die.

The final game in EXE form, even if it's in HTML5, will run just as smoothly as anything else. You won't even notice the difference. A game is a game. If people can accept Flash games as commercial (Machinarium, The Binding of Isaac, etc) then certainly they should be accepting of the far more versatile and capable HTML5.

HTML5 is far more capable than Flash. Flash is antiquated and needs to die.

The final game in EXE form, even if it's in HTML5, will run just as smoothly as anything else. You won't even notice the difference. A game is a game. If people can accept Flash games as commercial (Machinarium, The Binding of Isaac, etc) then certainly they should be accepting of the far more versatile and capable HTML5.

I had a hunch HTML5 was more capable, which is a very good thing. Not a lot of people will understand this though. Even if some of them played commercial flash games, they didn't know they were flash games. I think the only thing to do to convince people is to provide the next prototypes in an executable form which can be launched from the desktop. The discussion on the comments section has quieted down for now, but I'm pretty sure we will see them again after the next prototype.

I don't understand the confusion personally. So far for me the updates have been clear as day, the prototypes are being made in a browser, the actual game will not require a browser to play. I don't get where the confusion comes from. I'm not being sarcastic, I genuenly do not understand what the confusion is about. :huh:

Me neither. It's clear as day, and it's been made even more clear in TWO updates. AND in the comments section. AND on the front page of the Kickstarter.

The way I understood it, HTML5 would be used particularly when releasing the game for mobile platforms. Like most mobile games coming in the future. The big, stand-alone thing (which I think will be released on Steam) will be the grand smashing thing.

Me neither. It's clear as day, and it's been made even more clear in TWO updates. AND in the comments section. AND on the front page of the Kickstarter.

The way I understood it, HTML5 would be used particularly when releasing the game for mobile platforms. Like most mobile games coming in the future. The big, stand-alone thing (which I think will be released on Steam) will be the grand smashing thing.

The way I read it they're saying that they don't know what they'll use yet, but if it turns out to be HTML5 they'll pack the browser in the background so you get one single executable.

Some apps are done this way on the iPhone, Adobe released this technology where you make your app in HTML5 and it wraps it with a browser engine for you. The same works for Steam.

Biggest engine for this is from appMobi, but looking at their app gallery at http://www.appmobi.c...t/built-appmobi can't say any of them are that good :unsure:

Flash has a few years advantage on this yet. Probably why Machinarium is paying a chunk of cash in Flash licenses instead of using HTML5..

Well, Tex Murphy certainly took the life out of this project today. Hope we can get back on track tomorrow. The next prototype really needs to attract people who don't know the Space Quest games or never played them. They certainly have time to get it done.

I heard Scott Johnson plug the kickstarter on The Morning Stream for yesterday (May 14th). He has a huge listener base.

http://frogpants.com/tms/?p=311

It doesn't say anything about The Two Guys on the page, and the audio file is 1 hour and 40 minutes. Is there somewhere I can fast forward to to hear it? :)

Couple ideas to get the word out: Submit story ideas to publications: tell them the classic adventure games are coming back! And, if they want to talk to people running a project, check out this project!

For those who didn't play the original games, I compare it to Galaxy Quest. It's hilarious, makes jokes about the Science genre. "Look around you, see if you can form a rudimentary lathe."

From now until the end of the kickstarter: tweet something about a game memory. The secret message font in AstroChicken's secret message was really cool. The space ports were fun to explore, whether at Monolith Burger or an alien planet. Also it was a Sierra game that was cool and fun, a combo that some of the other games didn't have!